RMweb

We have it pretty good

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, I'm off work ill so am rambling in a somewhat 'bleurgh' state of mind here, nevertheless....

You know when you start to notice something, and you start to see it everywhere you look?

I've started noticing several people, who I would call excellent contributors and skilled modellers, seemingly leaving the forum (or publicly announcing they do not wish to post any more) due to falling out with someone, disagreeing, or taking umbrage to what someone has posted.

Honestly, I think RMWeb is one of the politest, most supportive, and encouraging online communities I've ever used, and am somewhat staggered when people feel upset enough to leave.

I've spent most of my life on various forums and message boards, dealt with trolls, race hate, name calling, political discussion, scams, spams, more name calling, gun toting maniacs, fractious factions, and everything else in between, and I think people sometimes might not appreciate how good they have it.

What I LOVE about this is the sheer volume and variety of everyone's projects, the regularity of updates, being able to refresh a page and actually see how people are progressing. The fact I only have to come to one website for all my railway modelling desires is brilliant, thus when people leave and decide to take their progress elsewhere, it is very saddening. I doubt I'll remember where they choose to go so am likely to lose them forever.

Another great thing is the feedback system. Someone's in trouble? Look at all the friendly/supportive badges they get. Someone's tried their hand at adapting or scratchbuilding? Getting a craftmanship/clever rating from someone is such a morale booster.

The Yorkshireman in me would say 'Don't be so bl**dy soft, you've got thicker skin than that', the wisened internet geek would say 'it's the internet, don't take it too seriously, and remember, arguing online is the only sure fire way to ensure that you both look silly and no-one wins'.

However neither of these are particularly encouraging (and I don't want to upset anyone else!) so I would like to say

'Please don't go, the forum is better with you here, we have it pretty good as a community, and would be poorer without you'

• RMweb Premium

I think part of the problem is that some people want to speak their mind on just about anything, then expect to be agreed with by everyone. When that doesn't happen, they feel they would rather leave and either retreat from the internet or find another place where the company they are in is more likely to agree with them on every opinion they hold.

Me, I prefer to let people be who they are, as long as they let me be who I am :)

• RMweb Premium

My other main forum has always had two main groups motor boat owners and sailors. there are those who always disagree with the other others view.

For some it appears to be deliberate for others it appears they are not capable of understanding anyone else's view. I'm one of the few that sails and motors so can see both sides.

That forum has just had a 31 page bust up over why some people leave the forum but from my view. The leaving of people is mostly because people will write what they wouldn't say face to face, they mostly wish to put forward they same point of view but in saving typing they miss the politeness they would use in speaking.

There are few as verbal typing as me!

Archived