The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Custom Glass Shrowd

A_S

Hi all,

not sure where this one should go really... so move the post if need be.

Anyway - I'm looking for some advice on where I can get a custom glass display case made to fit specific dimensions. I recently (well, back in March) bought a Diorama for one of my cars. It was very expensive and expertly made, but I need to source a suitable high quality cover for it:

15119129578_c83d01ed06_c.jpgIMG_2034 as Smart Object-1 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Can anyone advise somewhere I could get one made?

Thanks

Andrew

As we're probably not even on the same continent, I can't offer specific recommendations. However, MrsB frequently has need of similar, though often larger, items and obtains them from a local plastics fabrication company, who can quickly knock up bespoke cases in clear acrylic for surprisingly low cost. Check your local Yellow Pages for 'plastic fabrication', 'acrylic fabricator' and similar.

Measure carefully and get 5 pieces of thin glass cut accurately at a local glaziers shop. Stick them together using a thin bead of good quality clear silicone sealant. This is how fish aquariums are made, and they are strong, though use thicker glass due to weight & pressure of water.

Edited to add - ask the glazier to slightly polish / grind the edges to make them not razor sharp therefore safe.

Brit15

Thanks - The DIY route is an option - but i'm a bit short of time right now so if there is a buy it ready to go option - I'd prefer to take that. Having said that, I know I'll pay through the nose.

If I do go down the DIY route what thickness and quality of glass would be suitable? I have one display case that I bought from picture pride displays (http://www.picture-pride-displays.co.uk/) and the quality and clarity of the glass is perfect so I'd like something similar. I may have to phone them to see if they can do custom versions.

• RMweb Gold

You need...........

post-2660-0-95775000-1411296413.jpg

They were at Guildex and there stuff is very good.  Phone them and talk to them about what you want. You may have to explain as the guy that normally does the train stuff is ill and Paul, who normally does the cases for boats, military models etc, is on a steep learning curve for the railway stuff

Archived