Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Rest assured my daughter has now moved on from Peppa Pig. At the ripe old age of 11, she's gone all "retro" and is watching The Clangers on YouTube.

• Like 9

So that is the bed in the guest room, then.

Well, it's the bed in someone's guest room... I just nicked the pic off a shopping website. Same duvet! Our guest rooms aren't quite fit for human habitation yet. No electric, no flooring, no window frames, no skirting boards... etc etc etc... that's why I have my DIY hat on at the moment and North Street's having a lie-down.

North Street is in two pieces (by design, not accident) and is now stored up against a wall with a Peppa Pig duvet over it to keep it dust-free. Hoping to be able to set it up again in a week or two, depending on whether the plumber and sparkies have finished mess-making upstairs. I had the chance to run a 4BEP on the layout and I was delighted to find that it fits in Platform 1 with a few millimetres to spare. No pictures, but here's one of the duvet instead...

attachicon.gifduvet.jpg

That looks like a 'double' - where can I get one?

Shhh!

Don't tell him - he'd missed that bit :jester:

The house painters are taking an extended fag break, at least for a while now! The duvet was a stoopid idea... It sagged, snapping a lamp post and knocking over a pregnant lady tacky-waxed to the road bridge...

I've stored the boards, backscenes outwards, on a trestle covered with some thin plasterboard to keep the dust out. It will have to stay like this for a week or two when the next job is to make up the lighting fascias complete with signs, just like Temeraire's excellent Tidworth.

If I'm honest, the lull has sent me into full-blown planning mode for the next one... My idea of "full-blown planning mode" is a couple of scraps of A4 and an AnyRail plan on the PC... I just don't have the discipline for research and "testing things fit" that others have! Cue another example of me making it up as I go along...

post-17811-0-97299000-1421582461.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That looks very neat and tidy Pete, I'm actually cracking on with my layout at the moment think you've put me to shame.

I see from the view from the window where you got the name from!

• Like 2

:no:  Close, but no cigar. If only I could afford a house in North Street, Sheringham... it's a bit "posh" there...

Post some pics on your Cley thread when you get a chance, Russ.

• RMweb Gold

I will do,its work in progress at present. Had a huge tidy up last weekend as there was so many boxes under the layout you couldn't move. There is a hatch into some roof space that I'd put a few things in when we moved in but didn't take much notice of it. Turns out its about eight feet long fully boarded and plastered another small albeit low room in effect . storage now sorted. We've only been here nearly four years!!

• Like 1

If I'm honest, the lull has sent me into full-blown planning mode for the next one... My idea of "full-blown planning mode" is a couple of scraps of A4 and an AnyRail plan on the PC... I just don't have the discipline for research and "testing things fit" that others have! Cue another example of me making it up as I go along...

If your next project is as much of an ill-thought through, disorganised, "make it up as you go along" mess as this one ... then we're in for a treat :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago a similar unexpected but happy event occurred in the car park at Sandown Park. On Channel 4's Morning Line programme the following week John Francome joined in the pleasure at a successful outcome, but also pointed out that plenty had been conceived there....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally - work on the house nears completion and I may soon get parole and a chance to do some more to North Street. Aside from the much-mentioned lighting and lighting fascia, I'm struggling to figure out what else I can do to it without making the mistake of adding loads of bits "just for the sake of it"... I think I may need to walk away from this one soon.

One question... if you're reading this, there's a good chance some of you might have a Hornby 4VEP... I've been offered a poor runner in NSE livery. Never having butchered a multiple unit, would it be a relatively easy job to de-motor it and make it a dummy unit to run behind another? I'm assuming a new bogie might be called for. I'd like to run an 8-car or maybe a 6-car in partnership with one of the 2EPBs. I'm well aware that anything more than a single unit (4-car max) won't fit on North Street, so I've been spending my evenings planning the next project.

It's looking like it will be a roundy rather than another end-to-end and just briefly, I thought I might go back to N. The thought of having to replicate a decent-looking 3rd rail in N brings me out in a cold sweat so OO won (sorry Steve) and it looks like I'll have around 10-12ft length to play with. There will be no station - just the hint of one poking out from under an overbridge. I do like to be able to just sit back and watch something run unattended, so I'm thinking a short scenic section with a 6-8 road fiddle. I have an urge to try Tillig track as I'm smitten by their ultra large radius Code 83 points and I've just got hold of some concrete "Costain" imprinted sleeper bases designed for Code 83 flat-bottom rail. Looks way better than Peco. Urban grime again as I just don't do green fields. The visible scenic section won't be any longer than around 7ft, so I'm thinking this will be more like a diorama that just happens to have trains running through it - a good chance for me to maybe improve my scenics and do a little scratchbuilding. Plenty of terraced house backs etc.

An aerial view of part of the plan is below and I'm thinking that maybe Cromptonnut, Roundhouse and Smiffy (amongst others) might be able to guess where it is!

post-17811-0-21898100-1423297982.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Finally - work on the house nears completion and I may soon get parole and a chance to do some more to North Street. Aside from the much-mentioned lighting and lighting fascia, I'm struggling to figure out what else I can do to it without making the mistake of adding loads of bits "just for the sake of it"... I think I may need to walk away from this one soon.

One question... if you're reading this, there's a good chance some of you might have a Hornby 4VEP... I've been offered a poor runner in NSE livery. Never having butchered a multiple unit, would it be a relatively easy job to de-motor it and make it a dummy unit to run behind another? I'm assuming a new bogie might be called for. I'd like to run an 8-car or maybe a 6-car in partnership with one of the 2EPBs. I'm well aware that anything more than a single unit (4-car max) won't fit on North Street, so I've been spending my evenings planning the next project.

It's looking like it will be a roundy rather than another end-to-end and just briefly, I thought I might go back to N. The thought of having to replicate a decent-looking 3rd rail in N brings me out in a cold sweat so OO won (sorry Steve) and it looks like I'll have around 10-12ft length to play with. There will be no station - just the hint of one poking out from under an overbridge. I do like to be able to just sit back and watch something run unattended, so I'm thinking a short scenic section with a 6-8 road fiddle. I have an urge to try Tillig track as I'm smitten by their ultra large radius Code 83 points and I've just got hold of some concrete "Costain" imprinted sleeper bases designed for Code 83 flat-bottom rail. Looks way better than Peco. Urban grime again as I just don't do green fields. The visible scenic section won't be any longer than around 7ft, so I'm thinking this will be more like a diorama that just happens to have trains running through it - a good chance for me to maybe improve my scenics and do a little scratchbuilding. Plenty of terraced house backs etc.

An aerial view of part of the plan is below and I'm thinking that maybe Cromptonnut, Roundhouse and Smiffy (amongst others) might be able to guess where it is!

attachicon.gifruskinroad.jpg

Looks like an interesting project Pete! I would totally agree the code 83 handbuilt track looks much better, can't wait to see the result!

• Like 1

Yes, I appear to be addicted to Croydon... I like Ian's idea of a trolleybus or two but I know nowt about that era. I might have to re-route Tramlink and have it running down Ruskin Road parallel to the railway line, instead of it turning down Tamworth Road. That might make an interesting "front of layout" scenic feature. I want to model the track layout as it is post 2010, to give some operating interest by including the Overground turnback siding, or at least part of it. Compression will mean using the Purley Way flyover as a scenic break at the left-hand end. If I ever have the space, I'd like to add another board and include the Tramlink flyover too. I'm terrified of hand-building pointwork so I'm thinking Tillig for the points and hand-laid C&L or similar for everything else.

I did start a thread a while back on this particular stretch of line so if anyone has any West Croydon reminiscences or links to anything pictorial, especially the London Road shops, I'd be chuffed to bits if you could add to it:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95094-west-croydon-and-the-line-to-sutton/

I will start a layout thread, but as no wood has yet been harmed in the name of baseboard construction, it might be a bit premature!

Edit: If anyone spots one of these on ebay, give me a nod:

post-17811-0-63283900-1423304919.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3