Darlington 51a and North Road Works and BR 9fs

Steve Taylor

Evening all,

I'm looking at my pile of to do kits and wondering do I need a 9F? So...... can anyone tell me if these were allocated to Darlington 51a between 1954 and 1964 and were they overhauled at Darlington North Road works in the same period. I've always had a soft spot for these since I was a kid, but have so much else to do that building one of these in p4 is too much of a luxury at the moment.

Cheers for the info....

Steve

The NER generally, didnt have 9Fs, other than the 10 Tyne Dock (52H) locos, with the airpumps for the Tyne Dock - Consett ore trains.

The only others were a handful transfered in late on; checking 'Shed by Shed' pt 3 North Eastern, Tyne Dock also had 92167 for 5 months in '62; York (50A) received 8 (I think mostly ex WR) in Sept '63; and Wakefield (56A and ex LMR) received 10, including 4 of the York ones in Oct '66. None ever at Darlington.

Have seen a photo of a Doncaster (36A,ER) 9F working into Newcastle on Molasses tanks.

Thanks for that Kenw. I had it in mind that none were ever shedded there. I'd seen pictures of them passing through and have a vague memory of seeing an ex-works shot from somewhere around the shed area but could neither confirm or deny it. Can anyone come up with confirmation of whether any were shopped at North Road? Ideally I'm looking for one pre-1962 and certainly pre-1964 due to Broomielaw being on the test circuit that North Road would use spare paths on.

Thanks all

Ta for that Mike. That sent me scurrying for the reserve library under the bed. I'm ashamed to say that's not a book I have. Do you have a date for 92179? I did find 92181 ex-works in august 1960 so might just get my 9f to fit in after all.

Ta for that Mike. That sent me scurrying for the reserve library under the bed. I'm ashamed to say that's not a book I have. Do you have a date for 92179? I did find 92181 ex-works in august 1960 so might just get my 9f to fit in after all.

The photo is dated 9th June 1961. Are you going to do "Cameronian" as well?

Mike

Hmmm that sent me running too. I hadn't got as far as working out an A3 yet. I've heard they did make it up through Broomielaw in connection with troop movements in the area but have as yet not seen a photo. It is feasible that one may have gone through on a works turn if they were shopped at North Road before '62, but my secret thought was, at some time in the future when my skills are up to it, was to stretch time a bit and do Lemberg possibly from a Finney kit if i can get the pennies together. Ever since being a nipper its been the one for me. As a kid Darlo was a drab place with 31s, 37s, 47s, the odd 45 and far to many 101s so the idea that something frontline could have been allocated held a fascination and that was the first one I remember seeing a picture of.

Aaaaaaah. Now there's a connection that hadn't cropped up before.... got any more details on troop movements? I kept finding a lot to do with the DLI and various armoured regiments but the Cameronians are a new one to me. WAs that for leave trains going via Darlo or Durham?

• 2 weeks later...

In the book '9Fs in detail' theres a picture of 92098 (Tyne Docker) at Darlington with 'bigger than usual' 10 inch number on the cabside which was a Darlington works trademark (also Eastleigh) according to the caption. So that one I guess must have been there for some kind of work.

Here's a rough pic:

post-23197-0-74975200-1412880079_thumb.jpg

Ta for digging that out. The coaling plant is agive away and as you say the font size and the general condition would definite.y suggest imediately post works attention. Is there a date? I'm guessing the next stop is the route availability booklet to check if there was any restrictions imposed upon a 9f between Darlington and Barnard Castle. I know that further west was RA4 but I believe the Darlington- B'd Castle-Bishop auckland triangle was RA9.

The date's July 1962. 92098 looks uncharacteristically clean in the pic too suggesting some works involvement. From what I've gathered the only other time they were cleaned was to haul railtours.

Given how battered and thrashed the Tyne Dockers look to have been in their day I imagine they came in for more than their fair share of running repairs.

• 7 months later...

Cameronian was a regular visitor to Barney when the Cameron HIghlanders were stationed there. It was always used on their troop trains due to a family connection to the railway. I have always wanted to do Lemberg and Colombo as they were Darlington regulars in the early to mid 60's.

Mike

Completely off-topic, but the Cameronians were a completely separate regiment from the Cameron Highlanders. Sorry for the interruption ... carry on.

• 1 year later...

resurrecting this...... can anyone identify which 9f was in North Road towards the end of july 1961? I've found a pic of a running in trip at Barnard Castle with an identifiable Q6 and an anonymous 9f. Yeadon's Q6 book points to a date shortly after 29/7/61...... so any thoughts as to which 9f was through North Road at that time?

resurrecting this...... can anyone identify which 9f was in North Road towards the end of july 1961? I've found a pic of a running in trip at Barnard Castle with an identifiable Q6 and an anonymous 9f. Yeadon's Q6 book points to a date shortly after 29/7/61...... so any thoughts as to which 9f was through North Road at that time?

At that time North Road was giving Generals to New England 9f's exclusively.

Mike

Archived