Heralds and Vauxhalls

Invicta

The Triumph Herald and variants and late 40's Vauxhall 14 announced by Pocketbond early last year seem to be imminent

First releases look to be-

Herald 1200 saloon- green

Herald 13/60 saloon- white

Herald 12/50 convertible hood up- two-tone white/green

Herald 13/60 estate- mid-blue

Vitesse convertible hood down- red

Herald Courier van- grey, Standard-Triumph Sales & Service

http://www.a-smodels...6e57b7369cda150

http://www.a-smodels...6e57b7369cda150

http://www.a-smodels...9feaa930d9561fc

As they've sensibly done the bonnet as a separate casting, I guess we'll see other variants, Vitesse saloon, Herald 13/60 convertible etc in the future- though I'd guess cross-kitting the parts should be easy if you can't wait- Vitesse Courier van anyone....?cool.gif

a Herald Coupe would be nice as well http://www.gbclassic...oupe%201959.JPG

It also gives scope for a nice little scene posed at the roadside with bonnet up and one of the various 1/76 scale period AA and RAC vans in attendance...

From the descriptions, the Vauxhall comes in both pre-war (1937-40) and post-war (1947) guises, on 3 colours initially- beige, black, as a taxi, and a silver-grey...

I know Vauxhall offered some pretty eye-watering two-tones etc in the 50's, but were they really offering metallic paint pre-war?http://goldstarstock...oducts_id/32755

Might wait for something a bit more sober on that one...

Oh that takes me back. My second car was a dark blue 1200 estate. I followed the link on the green 1200, and lo and behold, it has C registration, and so did mine. Can't remember the rest at the moment, though. That car taught me to be paranoid about overheating. Took years to get over.

We are truly blessed by deluge of 00 road vehicles in the last two/three years, but their models of the early sixties cars seem to feature a lot of colours that I either don't remember. or only saw rarely, because they cost a lot more from the dealer (especially two-tone models). A lots of cars were black, grey, dark blue or other restrained colours. No-one wanted white, bacause after 12 months, you could see where the rust was coming through.

From perhaps the time of the Ford Anglia with the lean-back back window, colours were a bit more liberated [discuss]. Certainly brighter colours were available at normal prices for early minis, Imps and so on. (And not forgetting those appalling pink Vauxhall Crestas, etc.)

So I pick carefully for my late 50s - early 60s layout.

Cheers, Tony

We are truly blessed by deluge of 00 road vehicles in the last two/three years, but their models of the early sixties cars seem to feature a lot of colours that I either don't remember. or only saw rarely, because they cost a lot more from the dealer (especially two-tone models). A lots of cars were black, grey, dark blue or other restrained colours.

Certainly the manufacturers did list plenty of two-tone colour schemes from the mid-50s to mid-60s, when metallics and vinyl roofs became the 'in' thing, but the majority of the public tended to buy the plain, often even dull, colours.

How long before we get a '56 Minx/Gazelle and all the delightful 'Gay Look' variations thereon?

From the descriptions, the Vauxhall comes in both pre-war (1937-40) and post-war (1947) guises, on 3 colours initially- beige, black, as a taxi, and a silver-grey...

I know Vauxhall offered some pretty eye-watering two-tones etc in the 50's, but were they really offering metallic paint pre-war?http://goldstarstock...oducts_id/32755

Might wait for something a bit more sober on that one...

Certainly they had 'Metallichrome' colours (blue, grey, green and fawn) in the 1940s on the L series, developed from the H Ten. Possibly, then... but more likely post-war.

Certainly the manufacturers did list plenty of two-tone colour schemes from the mid-50s to mid-60s, when metallics and vinyl roofs became the 'in' thing, but the majority of the public tended to buy the plain, often even dull, colours.

BMC specialities, Tartan Red with a black roof, Almond Green with Old English White roof, Smoke Grey with OE white roof. Austins had more chrome on Farina models so Morris cars had the two tone paint. Second hand cars often had a 'blow over' to produce a two tone car as a way of raising their sale price. Until they closed my local garage often gave the lower flanks of cars a blow over of silver grey to give a two tone look.

• 3 weeks later...

The Heralds look ghastly. Usual problem of the bottom being too deep and the windows too shallow. Also there is far too much slope on the bonnet, less a problem on the green and white convertible.

Like the Mini and the Anglia (all paradoxically came out in 1959) the shape of the Herald is very subtle and rarely well captured, though the old Vanguard models (now Corgi?) of the Herald were excellent, but 1/43rd is much easier to do than 1/76th.

I liked Triumph Heralds in the 1960s and owned a 948cc saloon, a 948cc fixed head coupe and a 1200 Courier Van. However I'm sure there was never a 12/50 convertible. There were 948cc convertibles, 1200 convertibles and 13/60 convertibles. The only Herald designated a 12/50 was a saloon with a canvas sunroof.

Ian

I think the 12/50 was just the 1200 with two tone paint. I've definately seen two-tone convertibles, so perhaps that's what they mean. Apart from the two tone paint there'd be no obvious differences.

I also had a 948 saloon, chassis number 383! They were officially known as the 948S, but nobody ever used the terminology. Alpine lavender according to my buff logbook!!

But the point is, these models aren't as good as so many of the others which now abound. In fact they look like white metals of a lesser kind, rather than diecasts.

Archived