The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NFL - American Football

Ian J.

And that's it for the 49ers for this season... If I knew what I was looking for I'd start looking up players for the draft. But I don't.

Hopefully we'll get a whole season out of Jimmy next year (and McKinnon), and will prioritize spending some draft and free agency capital on Defensive End and Safety. Despite the horrible WL record, I don't think the team is that far away from making the right kind of noise.

I imagine that those teams whose season has now finished will hope that the 2019 season will bring an improvement of similar magnitude to that of the Cleveland Browns in 2018.

As for the post-season, I would venture to suggest that we have 12 well matched teams in the play-offs. No-one has proved infallible through the regular season, and we could see another unexpected winner in Atlanta in February.

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping the SB won't be between the Saints and Patriots in 'our' stadium. If it is I might have to give it a miss...

We've got rid of all three of our secondary coaches on 'Black Monday', which seems a little unfair considering injuries, and for Keith Armstrong in particular who seems to have given us a fairly good Special Teams. Quinn is taking over the defense, as per his history before becoming HC in Atlanta.

We have the 49ers next season, so it'll be Kyle Shanahan against Quinn for that game. Hopefully both teams will be in better shape than this year so that it will be an 'enjoyable' match-up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not so bothered that I didn't stay up for that.

The marginally less bad outcome as far as I'm concerned too. I think you've really got to recognise the pats as the best dynasty the NFL has seen - the salary cap is designed to prevent this kind of thing. 

• RMweb Premium

The Patriots definitely won the game this time (unlike against us in SBLI where we lost it, really). They definitely have a formula that works, and seems to be immune to the things designed to stop domination (draft order, salary cap). It makes me wonder, purely as a matter of unsubstantiated opinion, if somewhere in the background things might not be as legit as they could be.

There's definitely a lot of conspiracy theories around. There's no doubt that the NFL would have been delighted that a team from LA made it to the Superbowl, since they're trying (again) to make a go of the LA market, which probably won't be remotely interested once the rams and/or chargers start failing. Whether they'd go as far as tilting the field I don't know. But the NFCCG officiating certainly didn't do much to silence any conspiracies.

Edited by Zomboid

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

And so the 2019/20 season begins with the HOF game. I didn't see the game, but I know we lost. However, it's useful for us to have had the extra preseason game to add to our evaluations before the competitive season kicks off. Judging by the game review I read, it looks like the Broncos future QB1 still has some work to do.

Obviously preseason wins and losses are meaningless. But football is back, and I'm looking forward to the 49ers first game next week.

Elway doesn't seem to have much of a clue when it comes to choosing QBs. Aside from Manning (and his last year he was bad) it's been a sorry parade of mediocrity for a very long time in Denver. Joe Flacco is not the man to break that particular streak.

9 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Aside from Manning (and his last year he was bad)

Nevertheless they won the SuperBowl. It is said that "defence wins championships" and that Denver team proved the rule. Peyton at that point remained an excellent game manager even if his arm was gone. That he won a SuperBowl after neck surgery is a testament to something.

Interestingly Peyton reportedly turned down the analyst / colour commentator gig at ESPN for Monday Night Football to avoid having to analyze Eli. I have long thought that Peyton would be an outstanding analyst. Tony Romo surprised everyone by being exceptional as CBS' lead analyst. I think Peyton could be even better. Who better to read the plays developing, offensively and defensively in real time than a former top-level quarterback?

• RMweb Premium

Keen, yes. But I'm also aware it's only preseason still, and that the season proper doesn't really begin until the competitive games in September. But I value preseason the same way as the teams - to evaluate players and see who will make the final cut.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Bow licks. That was not a good start for us, a very poor showing but I suppose it could have been worse if we'd been shut out.

Of the 14 week 1 games played so far, 7 results were within one score including a tie. Your Hawks game of a two score deficit was a smaller differential than four other games. Not good, but certainly not the worst.

There's motivation to not go 0-2 with the Eagles next weekend.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

49ers vs Chiefs - difficult for me to support either team, as the friend who introduced me to Amercian Football is a Raiders supporter and can't stand the Chiefs, and the 49ers have Kyle Shanahan as their HC, who 'lost' us Super Bowl 51, and now has at least three ex Falcons on his team...

I'm going to have to be neutral and just watch for quality of play on either team, presuming there isn't some kind of blow out one way or the other.