The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NFL - American Football

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

For some unfortunate but not bad reasons, a friend of mine had a spare ticket for the NFL game between the Raiders and Dolphins at Wembley last Sunday. I quite enjoyed myself despite not being someone particularly into any sport as such (I catch the occasional tennis match when Wombledon's on, and even less occasionally I catch the test cricket). As it is, the NFL might be something I take up a bit of a following for, especially as that's easier to do these days due to Twitter and the like.

Is anyone else here an NFL fan?

P.S. I've kind of chosen a team to follow (not Raiders or Dolphins) but won't mention it yet as I'm still evaluating them :)

Edited by Ian J.
Change thread title to something more generic

• RMweb Gold

For some unfortunate but not bad reasons, a friend of mine had a spare ticket for the NFL game between the Raiders and Dolphins at Wembley last Sunday. I quite enjoyed myself despite not being someone particularly into any sport as such (I catch the occasional tennis match when Wombledon's on, and even less occasionally I catch the test cricket). As it is, the NFL might be something I take up a bit of a following for, especially as that's easier to do these days due to Twitter and the like.

Is anyone else here an NFL fan?

P.S. I've kind of chosen a team to follow (not Raiders or Dolphins) but won't mention it yet as I'm still evaluating them :)

Very much an NFL fan here, ever since it was first screened regularly in the UK by Channel 4 in the 1980s.

I've been fortunate enough to go to several games in the US and find the sporting attitude of both players and supporters a breath of fresh air compared to football in the UK.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to play when I was at school rather than the usual diet of football or rugby.

Really enjoy NFL. Got into it 1985 when I was resident in a camp in the Middle East with a lot of Americans. Regularly watched it on C4 back in Blighty but lost contact when it drifted over to Sky - as I did Test cricket later which I hardly follow now even though I regularly played local cricket until last season. So both sports lost me as a result of going over to Sky. Did watch the Wembley match on C4 though which was very enjoyable although it fizzled out in the last quarter. Loved the Denver Broncos in the Elway years and the 49ers when Montana was strutting the stage.

Another fan as of the start of Channel 4 coverage when they first broadcast highlights in 1982.

I chose to follow the Washington Redskins, as they won the Superbowl in that season.

Wembley hosted a number of pre-season games in the following years, and when the Redskins played there in 1992, I just had to go. And the highlight of that day, seeing the great Joe Montana, the quarterback of the San Francisco.

• RMweb Premium

I started watching NFL on ESPN while out in Saudi, I  still follow it a small amount, Normally when I can't sleep and watch  on C4, I tend to support Green bay Because

A, They won it in 96 when I was watching (live)

B, Are a publicly owned  Not for profit organisation

Been a football fan since World of Sport (ITV's equivalent of Grandstand) showed a couple of Superbowls in the 70s. Hardly missed a match since C4 started regular coverage.

Went to the Wembley match in 2010 to see the 49ers beat the Broncos - probably the poorest of the matches there has been.

I'm not sure that a British franchise is the way to go - 8 games at least (hopeful) at £100+ a go plus at least £50 travel and add ons - OK if you live around London.

I can't see a British franchise working out either. Mostly for the same reason as you - where are the season ticket holders going to come from? It's ok if you live fairly close but the games they've had in London so far have attracted a lot of people from way beyond London and I can't see many ofthey being able to attend an 8 game season, even if they wanted to.

Another (long suffering) Washington fan and like most of the others cut my teeth as a callow youth on the Channel 4 coverage.

Have done a couple of the regular season games at Wembley inc the first Miami / Giants game in the monsoon - had cr@p seats in the top tier but at least I stayed dry....

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Packers fan since I got in to it in about 93. Some American consultants where I worked ran a football pool and I won the first 3 weeks despite knowing nothing. Need to get a trip in Mid winter with the snow to see the pack at some point, along with my other dream of going to see the Oakland A's at baseball.

Have a feeling though it may not be a great season for the Pack, but we shall see.

It’s an odd game in that many school players have no outlet to play after they have left High School. I mean there is no history of Amateur leagues.

It’s a game made for TV in that there is plenty of breaks for adverts and snacking. That’s one of the reasons many fans do/will not understand Soccer.

In the NYC Metroplex area Rugby is becoming very popular because it can be played by the more average Joe. Similarly Lacrosse is also very popular here.

For my sins I support the Jets ‘cos they are at least  local and I prefer their kit over the Giants.....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Eagles fan since seeing them play the Bills at Wembley in 1991.  Been to many games at the Vet, a regular of the infamous 700 section!  Most enjoyable game for me was when we stopped Emmitt Smith on 4th and 1 twice late in the 4th Quarter and went on to beat the hated Cowboys.  Got to enjoy it for a second time when I got home and found Gary Imlach had picked it as his game of the week and it was on the Channel 4 highlights!  Still have the VHS video somewhere..

• RMweb Premium

Like many have said, I got into it when it was first broadcast by CH4. I then picked the Patriots, liked their strip. They weren't that great then, but have prospered recently. Each team seems to come to the fore eventually, mainly due to the system of allocating players and not just money. Something football could learn from.

I quite liked the European league with the London Monarchs et al http://worldleagueofamericanfootball.com/index.html

The only game I've been to was the Patriots vs Buccaneers at Wembley.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

Started watching in 1985 and as the first team I saw was the Giants, Ive stuck with them, Interest has gone up and down over the years with age and if I have enough time to watch the TV.

Been to a few games at Giants Stadium before it was pulled down and really is an experience.

Best enjoyed by staying neutral though regardless of who's playing.

• RMweb Premium

I think my evaluation of 'my' team is sufficient now to settle on it. I've chosen the Atlanta Falcons. At the time I initially made the choice I wasn't consciously aware they were coming to London for the game on the 26th, so that wasn't a factor in my decision. I think it was more down to the Falcon name as I quite like birds of prey. I could have chosen the Eagles, but for some reason their name just didn't stand out to me when I was looking at the various teams. Unfortunately I don't have the spare cash to go to the game on the 26th :(

Went over to the Big Rat's World three years ago on condition that I got to go to a bar to watch the football - what an experience - multiple screens, every match being shown. I sat with a Bengals fan watching the game against the Steelers surrounded by their fans, Couldn't imagine watching any football over here in such circumstances and enjoying it so much and anyway there would only by one screen anyway!!

For my sins I support the Jets ‘cos they are at least  local and I prefer their kit over the Giants.....

So, you'd be a big sinner then Pete?

Mind you, I don't think the Giants will have a much better record this year.

My brother came out to visit me last year. The 'localest' team here is the Seattle Seahawks, so he got to see what would be a Superbowl winning team. The atmosphere (aka noise) at CenturyLink field is pretty amazing and of course there are trains behind the stadium.

King St. Station has the clock tower:

post-1819-0-84153500-1412389106_thumb.jpg

Lots of neon green rain ponchos that day too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Falcons lost 20-30 to Giants yesterday. A good first half it seems, but tripped over on the home straight... :(

Edited by Ian J.

Fan of the Patriots since the early 80's again thanks to Channel 4, was a season ticket holder for the Scottish Claymores when NFL Europe was running and would love one of these NFL games to come to Hampden. Don't think it's fair that Wembley gets it all and the NFL know the support they have up here! Ah well maybe one day!

Edited by CathcartCircle

I've sort of supported the Broncos since the early days of C4 coverage and the John Elway era - probably that 98-yard drive with two minutes on the clock to secure the AFC championship against the Browns.  Too many embarrassing Superbowl defeats (including the last one!) - the team tend to over-perform during the regular season due to their home advantage at the Mile High.

I went to watch a British game at Crystal Palace in those far-off days - hard to follow as most plays ended up in a "bundle" near the snap and I don't think we say a completed pass thrown until the third quarter.

Good to watch the Wembley game live on TV the other day.  Highlights are too repetitive and my attempts to watch the Superbowl usualy fizzle out by the half-time "entertainment", and once the generation of players you grew up with have passed on, there's less interest in the new line ups.

Another Washington fan here, because they won the first game I ever watched, which is a rule I follow for sports where I don't have a natural affinity. This was again back in the 80s when Joe Theismann had John Riggins and Art Monk to give the ball to.

I was also at that 'Skins v Niners game at Wembley, I treated my brother to a ticket, seeing as he's a 49ers fan.

We tried to get a 'touch-football' team going at our school but it never really took off, and I remember watching the Brighton B52s take on the London Ravens at Withdean Stadium once.

Ian - as a recent convert, you may not be aware that back in those days, the Falcons had a British player, their kicker Mick Luckhurst.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

4 seconds to lose a game by 1 point after a time penalty! :(

Mick Luckhurst was the honorary captain for the Falcons at today's Wembley game. Was a great experience, even though we didn't win.

"Rise UP!", as Samuel L. Jackson is fond of exhorting us to do :)