Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rustys work bench

Hi All,

I thought i would document the work required to build a Falcon brass LSWR/BR Adams Class T6 4-4-0 in OO gauge.

Initial start on the tender and the base has been cleaned up and 2 bits of framing have been added.

15235249170_cfb1378d64_c.jpg

The frames have now had the rivets punched out and have been soldered to the base.

15398882056_4e0c0ebe01_c.jpg

To show something I have  previously built, here is an LNER K2 built from a nucast kit with added details again in 4mm.

7991127951_a9af59bf37_c.jpg

Edited by rustynuts
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

The tender sides, back and coal front have now been added and the tender top has been fabricated, its been a pain so far as the instructions have no pictures and are not very self explanatory.

Does anyone have any pictures of this type of tender?

15369116440_cd102e7301_c.jpg

Edited by rustynuts
  • Like 6

I have a GA for the 3000 gallon tender I can PM you if that is of help.

I think you are wrong putting the sides on to make the shut narrower. It should be full width with nothing directing the coal to the centre.

That would be great if you could PM me the GA, The instructions specifically call the parts shute sides and to solder them into position either side of the tender.

I will study the GA and make a call then.

Many thanks

Managed to do some work over the weekend, firstly adding internal supports for the tender top and then fitting it and cleaning up, the tool boxes both need extensive cleaning up due to the poor quality of the castings and I need to make a new slightly larger top for the sandbox.

15399575727_d2baeab5e1_c.jpg

15586417572_c64133ce55_c.jpg

• Like 9

I have now added the axle-boxes, tool boxes and sand box together with the buffers and vacuum pipe, most of the basic detail now there, just handrails and brake standard to be fitted plus the lamp brackets to go.

I will be fitting a Comet separate chassis complete with brakes to make things easier.

15636044712_cc1a75cda3_c.jpg

15449219197_4284d18039_c.jpg

• Like 8

The basic Comet chassis has been assembled and mounts put in the tender floor but this has highlighted the fact that the wheel rims hit the floor of the tender despite being at the correct height, I still need to add spacers to the axles as well as the brake gear.

I will have to pocket the floor at the witness marks indicated by the arrows, I have a T3 to build so I'll make the adjustments to the floor in advance for that one.

15688200281_e79cee6c2b_c.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have now attached the valences, splashers and cab front to the footplate and attached one of the smokebox wraps and smokebox front plate to the boiler,

the second wrap has been formed but not yet attached.

A filler piece for the back of the smokebox is not supplied with the kit and will have to be fabricated.

15783186000_04dbf9bab3_c.jpg

15784469509_e4464cc6e5_c.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work; T6s are beautiful locos. The footplate looks very neatly shaped. Could you describe how you did it?

Cheers

Simon

Hi, 

Sorry for the delay, I formed the footplate by initially folding the footplate to 90 degrees at the top of the curved section and then formed the curve round the appropriate sized brass tube till the valences fitted and then soldered the whole lot up.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So far not tooooo bad, but could not see how to fit the etched crosshead to the piston rod. I have nowI found a old pair of nickel silver crossheads complete with piston rods, so drilled out the cylinders to fit. Seems to work and certainly looks better. There is supposed to be a slide bar support bracket, but still have not found any etch on the fret which looks remotely like one, so will make one of those up for myself. Will follow your blog with interest as it will look a really nice model when completed, and I think very few will actually exist.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more work done, The front bogie is almost done (I used Gibson 2mm Bushes Standard Length Thick Wall to add strength and ridgidity) and as I only had three  more now ordered so i can finish. The Roof has also been completed and the Buffers, chimney and Dome added.

24520348334_1ef4d9e117_c.jpg

24520347924_7281ff8d7b_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...