starting at the beginning in track building

antonyvw

Im currently in the process of having decided to build a small O gauge layout - of deciding what to build. Up till now anything Ive done has been in other scales using either set track or flexible (and built for my 7 year old grandson so not to complex in anything). So as O gauge is larger - giving rise to greater detail - I want to attempt to build my own track, but have no idea where to start. I know there are companies like C&L who supply in kit for the necessaries for building points etc, but what Im after initially are some sources I can read (or preferably watch) showing how straight forward track is built. Whats involved - where to buy the components and just how easy or difficult is it. you know - the sort of things that the usual beginner asks. 

So far all I've found on the net is a series of (very good) American based videos using US based products. I was wondering if there are any British based videos which demonstrate the same for the UK market. IE using products easily found in the UK. What methods are there in doing so etc? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks Antony

Have you worked previously with assembly of plastic kits/feel confident working with plastic weld style cement? Not that it's a complicated concept... but if you're comfortable with that skill, assembly of plastic chairs and sleepers shouldn't be scary - especially if you take a nice and steady approach. Kit points will have the painful work out of shaping the blades and, ideally, will supply you with the different chairs that you'll need to build a point, which is a big plus. Just be sure you're buying rail and chairs that are compatible with each other (get it all from C&L and you'll be safe).

I'll take some snaps later of a small diorama I've been building which is essentially my first hand track-laying effort and has gone pretty well. It might help!

You could take a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=45544

Don't be distracted by the thread title - it relates to a later segment. It's not a video but a well-written and illustrated thread on turnout construction. Richard Lambert, the author, models turnouts in 0-MF 31.5mm gauge but the principles are the same if you build to the more traditional 0-FS 32mm gauge. I don't want to start a discussion again on the relative merits of each as they have been done to death elsewhere. 

You can do yourself a favour by searching on RMWeb or Western Thunder sites, using suitable keywords, for threads on track construction. It's a process that lends itself to photos and narrative rather than video and narration.

Dave

.... track construction. It's a process that lends itself to photos and narrative rather than video and narration.

There is a video in the Right Tracks series from BRM.  A reasonable starting point.

Or there is the couple of articles by Norman Solomon that can be found in MRJ, round about issues 140-150.

The thread linked above was one of the triggers that sold to me that I could build track myself. I actually built a turnout by hand with soldered copper-clad construction some time ago, then bought C&L chairs and sleepers and had a go.

My phone's camera objects to the lighting in my garage at night (seems fine to my eyes!), but I picked two fair snaps of my diorama in progress. I think the biggest redeeming factor is that you can avoid 'boring' uniformity in your track at the nitty-gritty chairs and sleepers level. Everything was sprayed in Tamiya red oxide primer, then sleepers were handpainted with Humbrol matt #251, which looks the goods to my eyes. Painstaking, but worthwhile. Ballast still needs work! When I've finished, I'll put a thread up in the Diorama section of rmweb.

20141005_2119591_zps78de2567.jpg

20141005_2115381_zps05e5d057.jpg

I bought a book called 'TRACK how it works and how to model it', produced by the 2mm Association, cost £18 inc. P&P.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/trackbook/index.html

Though I don't model 2mm/N gauge, the reviews said it was a good book on the subject, so I bought it for future reference, when I have the courage to have a go myself.

Archived