Gradient on Camiers Bank

Monjac

Can anyone tell me the gradient of the track on Camiers Bank on the Boulogne to Amiens route between Neufchatel Hardelot and Dannes/ Camiers

I live near Camiers and watch the train cresting the bank. The TGV looks superb as it tops the bank .

Any links or other detail on this section would be much appreciated

Not a good answer but LGV gradients go up (or down) up to a maximum of 3%.  This can be quite impressive.

The line at Camiers is on the 'classic' route from Calais to Paris (via Boulogne and Amiens); the most significant gradient I can find mentioned is 7.5% between Hesdingeul and Boulogne, which I presume is the same bank?

• RMweb Premium

The line at Camiers is on the 'classic' route from Calais to Paris (via Boulogne and Amiens); the most significant gradient I can find mentioned is 7.5% between Hesdingeul and Boulogne, which I presume is the same bank?

That should of course be 7.5 per thousand not per cent. FP's 3% is however correct for TGV.

Does anyone know how to construct the per thousand symbol (%+ an extra small "o")on a standard keyboard?

• RMweb Gold

Andy: At top of screen you  will have a "button" marked "Insert". Then look for "Symbols". The per mille symbol will be in there.

That works for Word docs. May not be able to use it within posts here unless you produce as a word document and then copy into your post.

Particularly good on the stretch of original LGV west of Beaune. Like a rollercoaster.

One of my old bosses was involved in the testing of that original bit; he claimed that, following the initial tests at full speed, the transition at the summits of some of the gradients had to be eased. The wheel-sets were dangerously close to losing contact with the rail as the train continued, briefly, to carry on in its original trajectory.

Gradients near Avignon from Sud de France series:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87392-sud-de-france-2007-present-day-photos/page-2

Third photo taken with a 450mm telephoto and they look impressive, but the 'topping out' of a TGV at speed on the crest can be felt inside the train. The trains often have to slow down here as they approach the junction of three LGVs so that they fall into line going north to Lyon.

This the top of the bank at Neufchatel Hardelot.

No idea of the speed it is going as this is only a feeder to the high speed route.from Calais Frethun onwards. 80 m.p.h. perhaps ??

Does L.G.V mean Ligne Grande Vitesse. Excuse my ignorance ?

post-3591-0-25255300-1412793108_thumb.jpg

Yes, LGV = Ligne Grande Vitesse.  Here is a double Duplex climbing out of the Saone Valley near Macon.  The hills in the background are where Pouilly Foussé is grown, including the impressive Rock of Solutré.  I don't know the gradient here but it may be near the 3% maximum allowed.

Needless to say the trains rattle down hill at this point.  Macon TGV station is at the bottom of the incline and should be a good place to watch trains.

post-20733-0-93594400-1412796446_thumb.jpg

Yes, LGV = Ligne Grande Vitesse.  Here is a double Duplex climbing out of the Saone Valley near Macon.  The hills in the background are where Pouilly Foussé is grown, including the impressive Rock of Solutré.  I don't know the gradient here but it may be near the 3% maximum allowed.

Needless to say the trains rattle down hill at this point.  Macon TGV station is at the bottom of the incline and should be a good place to watch trains.

attachicon.gifDSC_9897.jpg

It's very impressive as you drive towards Montchanin from Macon on the N79, struggling with the gradient, and the TGVs just whizz past.. The French have got their priorities right though : LGV1 had been planned to run further north, between Beaune and Dijon, but driving a route through either the vineyards of the Cote de Beaune or the Cote du Nuits was deemed political suicide. Hence, Dijon, one of the fastest growing cities of France, is only served by TGVs on the classic route from Montbard, at least until the next bit of TGV Rhin- Rhone is built.

This the top of the bank at Neufchatel Hardelot.

No idea of the speed it is going as this is only a feeder to the high speed route.from Calais Frethun onwards. 80 m.p.h. perhaps ??

Does L.G.V mean Ligne Grande Vitesse. Excuse my ignorance ?

Every time we come off the autoroute to stay overnight at the. Hotel du Parc in hardelot I think I must stop and get a photo of a train coming up that bank Now I've seen yours I've no excuse

Colin

Colin

Upon leaving the autoroute turn right towards Neufchatel Hardelot just before the bridge and the D940 roundabout and stop at the level crossing.

From this point you can see the change in incline just under the bridge and get good close up shots as the trains pass by both ways as you stand safely behind the mesh lineside fence.

TGV passes by at 15.47 . Then drive on over the track to Hardelot .You wont have to miss your aperitif at the Hotel du Parc so your wife wont mind a slight detour.

David.

Colin

Upon leaving the autoroute turn right towards Neufchatel Hardelot just before the bridge and the D940 roundabout and stop at the level crossing.

From this point you can see the change in incline just under the bridge and get good close up shots as the trains pass by both ways as you stand safely behind the mesh lineside fence.

TGV passes by at 15.47 . Then drive on over the track to Hardelot .You wont have to miss your aperitif at the Hotel du Parc so your wife wont mind a slight detour.

David.

Thanks for that I might pretend I need fuel at Carrefours as an excuse lol

Colin

Archived