Terminus Plan- Help needed with Facing Points

BurscoughCurves

Hi all,

After downsizing my plans to suit my spare room I have decided on modelling a busy, but compact, West Riding terminus.

I have a question about main running lines (potentially) leading into an engine shed. I understand this would not be at all prototypical at a through station, but do the same rules apply at a terminus?

My first plan below got me thinking about this issue, so I switched the MPD around and added a headshunt (bottom image);

post-21828-0-26550000-1412718549_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-83839100-1412719107_thumb.jpg

Could anyone shed some light onto which is more prototypical?

Best regards,

Pete 

• RMweb Gold

Second one is better - basically because it would be far easier to work in the real world because you don't need to do a double shuffle to turn an engine and access to the coal stage from the turntable works much better thence to the shed for any engines which are going there.  Don't forget that some engines will just go on shed to turn and take water plus probably clean the fire, not everything will need to go to the shed.  But taht short platform at the bottom can't be used for passenger trains as it isn't protected by a trap point and you haven't got room to get one in.

Facing points are quite ok at a terminus - they are unavoidable of course in the real world.

I like that plan. Please post a layout topic & show us how you get on! There are some quite nice drive kits for turntables available. The Airfix now Dapol kit can be shortened if scratch building isn't your thing. 

True, I do realize that.

One of the features I have insisted on featuring is an MPD. In fact the engine shed is the only bit I've actually modeled so far; see my Northlight Engine Shed blogs.

I'm moving into my new home in November so hope to start the layout this side of Christmas.

The only way I have thought to justify it is that the facilities provided are also for a nearby 'yet-to-be-named Junction' station. I can live with the inaccuracies though!

Archived