Motor+ Gearbox recommendations for a Scorpio GWR 14 xx

RTJ

I'm having a bad time with the simple fold-up gearbox and Mashima motor. After stripping the brass teeth I replaced the gearbox with a Roxio one - which is better. However even on this the brass teeth are wearing unevenly and it's a real xxx to adjust as there is so little room and I'm keen to include the dummy linkage. The motor is fine.

Has anyone built a Scorpio 14xx and would like to recommend a suitable gearbox (e.g. from ABC or MSC) either with a new motor (i.e. a combo unit), or just on its own?
Thanks,

Richard.

Thanks everyone; interesting. ABC always seem to be the preferred option. Has anyone negative reports about the MSC range?

As a side issue who makes the Slater's range of gearboxes? (I know the easy answer is...Slaters...but I suggest that the manufacturing is farmed out to someone else (?))

Thanks again,

Richard.

I have one of the MSC motor/gearboxes in my 42xx 2-8-0 tank loco, and it is very smooth and quiet and so far it has pulled whatever I can put behind it, would definitely recommend looking at their range.

HTH,

Martyn.

Archived