LMS prototype 16t mineral D2106

SM42

Having come across this wagon (running number 616000)  in the Essery book on LMS wagons, I'm in the process of  trying to recreate it in OO.

However whilst the challenge is one thing, the livery is another. 

LMS bauxite does not fit in with my current wagon fleet and whilst I'm not against the idea of this being a one off, I am intrigued as to what happened to this wagon and whether I can  justify turning it out in a BR livery.

Thanks

Andy

Thank you for that. I hadn't checked at Paul's site for anything other than  D2106

1975 is a lot later than I have found so far and means a far greater modelling timespan to keep in mind for future use

However the question of what happpened to the prototype wagon still remains.

I may need  to be true to available info but  I suppose could always  use my modeller's licence.

Andy

Thank you for that. I hadn't checked at Paul's site for anything other than  D2106

1975 is a lot later than I have found so far and means a far greater modelling timespan to keep in mind for future use

However the question of what happpened to the prototype wagon still remains.

I may need  to be true to available info but  I suppose could always  use my modeller's licence.

Andy

This D2109photo is copyright to me but feel free to send it or use

it it is from  another forum, 1970 at Luton Bute  street, it had power station fly ash as a load ( think going to Rebourne/Hemel Hemster ( MR) via harpendon for hemelite concrete bricks, my notes say livery was very greyish green,and it did stand out from the normal BR freight grey or photo taken on same day

post-21290-0-28892700-1413317190_thumb.jpg

Thank you to everyone so far

My wagons are at present aimed around the mid to late 60s  so 1953 is  a bit early really but this is still conjecture.

It looks like this may end up as one off LMS wagon, but at least it will use up some of those spare transfers I've got from other projects.

Back to the plastic carving

Andy

This D2109photo is copyright to me but feel free to send it or use

it it is from  another forum, 1970 at Luton Bute  street, it had power station fly ash as a load ( think going to Rebourne/Hemel Hemster ( MR) via harpendon for hemelite concrete bricks, my notes say livery was very greyish green,and it did stand out from the normal BR freight grey or photo taken on same day

I would say, judging by the seams about mid-way along each side panel, that this one's already had some fairly serious bodywork repairs done on it, so it's doubtful that it's in its original livery. 

...I am intrigued as to what happened to this wagon and whether I can  justify turning it out in a BR livery.

Of course it can appear in BR livery. I didn't know it at the time (only a kid!) but the interestingly beaten up and often heavily rusted steel coal wagons in among the much better condition mass of newer dia 1/108 and 1/109 of BR origin, were the pre BR build by the MOT, LMS and LNER. These old things went on until they failed in some way and either got repaired or withdrawn. No circa 1960 layout with a goods yard of any size is complete without a wagon or two with big white X or 'cond' daubed on in white paint.

Of course it can appear in BR livery. I didn't know it at the time (only a kid!) but the interestingly beaten up and often heavily rusted steel coal wagons in among the much better condition mass of newer dia 1/108 and 1/109 of BR origin, were the pre BR build by the MOT, LMS and LNER. These old things went on until they failed in some way and either got repaired or withdrawn. No circa 1960 layout with a goods yard of any size is complete without a wagon or two with big white X or 'cond' daubed on in white paint.

As late as 1974, when part of my summer job involved doing a daily wagon census at BSC Landore (they'd never had anyone so keen to do it, or who spent so long..), there were still ex-LMS and MoS/MoWT examples around in normal service. They would, like the wagon in the photo, have had much of the body panelling replaced. The LNER-built ones didn't last as well, having riveted bodies.

As late as 1974, when part of my summer job involved doing a daily wagon census at BSC Landore (they'd never had anyone so keen to do it, or who spent so long..), there were still ex-LMS and MoS/MoWT examples around in normal service. They would, like the wagon in the photo, have had much of the body panelling replaced. The LNER-built ones didn't last as well, having riveted bodies.

rivetted type of 16t, again in 1970 at Bute Street Luton having just been shunted over the MR to LNER new link line on closure of luton to Ayot St lawrence line, its sides have been almost rebiult and the samegreenish grey rather that the usual whiter BR freight Grey

,the second picc  is off the web and shows three darker 16t wagon in a 1951 train, the first wagon with white number ( unreadable), compare those three to the grey 16t wagon half way down the train in BR livery

it is anacdotal but  suspect the first three wagons are in bauxite

post-21290-0-31243400-1413397088_thumb.jpg

post-21290-0-68648200-1413397454_thumb.jpg

Archived