GWR 4 Wheel Tool Van

tim4948

Hi

I am trying to build a model of this van and I can not work out from the instructions given where the number of the van goes as well as the GW, I have found a picture of one with the GW at the step end and the number at the other but I have also found a picture of one with the GW and number the other way round. The instructions seem to imply that they where the same way round on both sides so the GW would be at the step end on both sides and the number at the other. Please can you tell me which one of these is correct?

Which Tool Van diagram CC1 ... CC8 ? I'm a bit confused here by "step end" - whose kit?

Unfortunately the term "tool van" is misleading as they were engineering stock - the vast majority of which were conversions from all sorts of vehicles from Toad brakes to assorted Minks.

Also by "tool van" do you include "mess" vans and "staff" vans?

for example this mess van ex AA2 brake in preservation at Didcot

dsc01121.jpg

Guest dilbert

Hi

I am trying to build a model of this van and I can not work out from the instructions given where the number of the van goes as well as the GW, I have found a picture of one with the GW at the step end and the number at the other but I have also found a picture of one with the GW and number the other way round. The instructions seem to imply that they where the same way round on both sides so the GW would be at the step end on both sides and the number at the other. Please can you tell me which one of these is correct?

Based on the URL of the prototype you supplied ...

They are both correct - there is also a 3rd variant that has the "G" at one end and the "W" at the other end (with the stock number in the middle) and even a fourth variant with the shirtbutton logo on the left side and the stock number on the right.

What will determine the choice you make will be the timeframe in which you choose to portray the vehicle (in a way you have answered your own question and that is to use prototype photos as a reference)... dilbert

• 3 years later...

Please can anyone tell me what diagram number the above tool van is?

Hello Richard,

The wagon in the first photo is a modified AA2 Guards van Lot 477 see here,

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/263/263.html

The linked Tool van is preserved at Didcot and is of Lot 570,

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/wagons.html or http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/BV1/BV1.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Please can anyone tell me what diagram number the above tool van is?

Which above tool van? The Didcot one doesn't have a known diagram number. A crude drawing is in

Atkins, A. G. Beard, W. Tourret, R. (1998) GWR Goods Wagons A historical survey. Tourret Publishing, Abingdon, Oxon. 530 pages ISBN 0-905878-07-8

Archived