Will it blend? - 3D industrial locos

• RMweb Gold

Well, finally getting my head around blender's interface - I learnt basic 3D on Maya a long time ago and Blender seems to be a good fit so far, there are a few functions I miss but overall it's good!

I've decided to try and make a 3D model of an industrial loco with a view to 3D printing it. The type I've chosen is a Peckett FA, now I have drawings and dimensions for a B3, which I believe is a similar, but later, design, and access to lots of reference photos for an FA, so I can hopefully create a hybrid of the two. I'm aiming to fit it to a Bachmann 'Junior' chassis with an HO wheel swap as previously done by user 'relaxinghobby'.

Here's a few pics of progress so far on the cab and running plate. The bunker outline was tricky, as the B3 has quite a different curve to the FA (I believe the FA may be a bit longer? Need to measure 'Henbury' up to compare)

ScreenShot2014-10-13at190701_zpse5380d71

ScreenShot2014-10-13at191640_zpsf848a509

ScreenShot2014-10-13at190656_zps233b642c

ScreenShot2014-10-13at203805_zps477c1478

ScreenShot2014-10-13at203748_zpsbf3f2edf

Comments, criticism, advice all welcomed!

• RMweb Gold

It takes a while to get used to, but it's mainly a case of using it over and over until you're familiar with where everything is, best method to achieve what you want, and keyboard shortcuts etc.

I took the step of cutting the model in half as I was having endless trouble with doing the Booleans action more than once, and JCL's excellent guides on using the mirror function mean I can concentrate on doing one side well without having to duplicate work or risk messing up one side, speeds things up no end and is a massive help after much frustration in trying to cut segments out.

Here's the cutout next to the half-model

ScreenShot2014-10-16at000440_zpsf196ab0a

With the doorway cut out, I could add cylinders for the handrails and blend them into the cab sides (The handrails are actually 'inside' the cab so needed to be recessed. I may add some extra depth around the middle for strength)

ScreenShot2014-10-16at005212_zpsdc0ea59c

next up, I need to create an inside face for the bunker to make it 'solid'

• RMweb Gold

I kept thinking that proportionally, something wasn't right despite using the specs from the Peckett drawings.

I ended up cutting the cab down from the midpoint up, and suddenly it started to look 'right' again. I wonder if the B3 sits higher than the FA.

I've used the saddle tank to make up the smokebox front plate. The boiler is just there as a datum point.

ScreenShot2014-10-16at223120_zps9e4c2f60

ScreenShot2014-10-16at222820_zps93df8624

At the moment I'm just trying the get the main dimensions and 'building blocks' sorted, before I progress to things like rivets, and other details

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If anyone is wondering why updates have stopped, I had a sudden moment of clarity followed by the crushing realisation that I had been designing the model as a 'net' rather than a proper 3D object - it did not have proper consistent material depth throughout. I would be better off starting again, so when I have time I will do a 2nd attempt.

Archived