HO gauge JR 500 Nozomi shinkansen

DIFFLOCK

• RMweb Gold

A few years back Bachmann did an HO model of the Series 500 Shinkansen for the Tenshodo Model Shop in Tokyo. Somehow Bachmann managed to sell some of these models in the US and UK.

I managed to buy the basic set and an add-on set but, unfortunately, not all of the 16 coaches in the train were modelled. I think I did a write up of this model for "Bullet-In", the magazine of the Japanese Railway Society. I'll try and find the article and see what I wrote.

Interestingly, whilst on the Bachmann Collector's Club trip to Hong Kong and China back in the dim distant past we saw some of the coaches for the Series 500 in the design/proving stage when we toured the factory. Photographs, however, were not alllowed in the factory :(

Like the original, the model goes like the clappers - easily the fastest of any models I've got.....and it stayed on the rails.

Unfortunately I've never riden on the Series 500 as the Japan Rail Pass does not cover travel on a "Nozomi" but should be able to do so now as the Series 500 has been cascaded to the slower trains in the JR West area....

Keith

Archived