New HOm layout

jhock

I thought I would start a thread on my new layout I am designing.

It is an RhB layout in HOm, no specific location.

I have had a crack at something in SCARM, using Peco track.

Swiss2-2_zps33a3f0ab.png

I don't know a lot about the subject at present so lots of research to do.

The period is current.

The layout will have a timber loading point on it, the storage will be below the layout.

The dimensions are 13' by 30" dropping to 20".

• RMweb Gold

Worth studying the typical station plans as they tend to have sidings all on the same side in the smaller stations.

Go to sporenplannen on top left, click on Switzerland then the RhB box and you should get a fairly accurate plan of the RhB. There are a few errors with stations in the wrong order ;)

http://www.sporenplan.nl

Railpictures.net has a lot of good overview shots of RhB stations for getting the scene. Choose Switzerland as the country filter and choose 'photos only' from the bottom of the menu to search quickly.

Enjoy it :)

Google Earth is proving a very useful research tool also, the fact that have taken 'street view' photos of part of the line is very handy.

I have ordered the Guarda railways station building, I quite like the actual location, very simple and on street view so I could recreate the whole thing if I wanted to, regardless I like the station building.

It seems I will need a bench and ticket machine as every station has one!

I have a good amount of stock on its way also, I did a trade in of My German HO stock against some Bemo stock with Conti kits.

Still no more than planning at this stage as the plaster in my (shared) hobby room is still not dry!

• RMweb Gold

Yes Google only seems to have permission from the RhB in Switzerland!

Worth watching to study catenary too ;)

For reference Van Der Burg do three good modern RhB dvd's on the main system , (their additional cab ride set was invaluable to me but now supplanted by Google!)

Reos do some great ones too but there's no commentary so you won't learn anything apart from the good scenes and trains in shot.

MITV used to have the definitive set but are now becoming a historical document of the 80's and 90's RhB and Chris and Sue aren't likely to start again no matter how much they like to.

Getting closer to that point!  The flooring goes in the room next week, so I can then make a start on the building of the layout!

I even have some stock, I did PX on my German HO stock for Bemo stock via Contikits.

• RMweb Gold

Well if you need any more let me know and I'll see what I have spare when I have it out in the next few weeks. I'm just about to dismantle Rhätia to slowly start the build on my HSB layout so the RhB stock will only appear on that at home for operating sessions with friends for the next few years until I have another go. Not much off the layout to store as it's only the buildings, catenary and possibly the basic frame I can't reuse immediately though they will allow a quick start next time around so aren't going anywhere.

Your new layout is coming on well at the planning stage.

A couple of websites you might find helpful and inspirational are:

www.albulabahn.ch

www.albulamodell.ch.

The German professional modeller that builds Bemo's HOm layout has a good website with pictures of the layouts he has built:

www.modellbau-smk.de

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

jhock, you have made a superb plan and managed to incorporate a 'handy' fiddle-yard, a tunnel and three 'passing places' !

I have been aware for some time that a lot of planning brings forth dividends.......... but sadly I never seem to do it :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

I have been aware for some time that a lot of planning brings forth dividends.......... but sadly I never seem to do it :scratchhead:

Seems to turn out ok though Bob ;)

Typical me but can't help m'self ;) How about pushing the station in a bit in the centre so it's on a gentle curve, just as something different to try scenically, Not saying it will be better but worth considering?

I just re-read my own post, the fiddle yard is on the left not the right! The point being to allow me at least 2 storage tracks, so the backs scene would start just to the left of the small siding. It would the go round in front of the track along the back.

Paul,

Can I check, do mean push the whole station into the centre of the board, the curve on the left comes round further and into the board?

• 3 months later...

Still in the planning stage with this but very keen to move on and start building but I have to get the plan right first.

I do have a question, is there any mileage in looking at building something a little different? I don't know the RhB well enough yet, but could a layout be built of some kind of freight facility?

So instead of a through station have a line running along the valley floor and spuring off into some sort of ware house, saw mill, factory etc.

I would still have the through line to run different stock on but would be able to shunt trains as well?

Just a thought?

Archived