Problem with scaling .STL files?

Hi,

I've been using Sketchup to design a few bits and bobs for a few customers. They required the files to be 3D printed and hence wanted it to be in a .STL format. Since I use Sketchup it exports it in .DAE format. I was then advised to use MeshLab to convert it into .STL, after doing so I realized that the conversion caused the file to literally srhink. After seeking for more advice I was told to process the file through NetFabb which would enable me to scale it back up using the "conversion" tool.

This being done I could easily see that the 3D more change size but upon uploading to shapeways and i.materialise to check it said the file doesn't exist.

Can some on explain what went wrong? Should I give a more detailed description of what I did?

Cheers,
Jeff.

While the .STL from Meshlab always came out wrong for me, I now use this plugin, which always seems to come out correct. You do have to sign up to Sketchucation to download it however:

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=209946#p209946

Bill is right that Shapeways will accept a .DAE file. I've used .DAE files through them before.

Jeff

I often use NetFabb to rescale STL files or change orientation with no problems.

I have found the NetFabb Cloud service best for checking STL files and fixing minor errors prior to printing. I have never had a file which was "fixed" by NetFabb Cloud rejected by the print company due to errors.

I use Rhino design software and export to STL direct from Rhino so I can't comment on the SketchUp side of things. If you want to verify an STL, you can always download the free trial of Rhino which can import the STL and allow you to make precise measurements or zoom in to check small details. There is no time limit on the Rhino trial if just viewing files.

Thanks guy,

I know very well that Shapeways accept .DAE files but as I mentioned I am doing this work for someone else. I just use Shapeways to check. The .DAE hile is fine. The .STL file when uploaded says there is no model. Though in Netfabb I can clearly see it get resized to correct dimension the problem occurs when being uploaded where it says the file is empty.

I'm just wondering why the file apparently vanishes when it's time to upload.

Archived