Railway book/publication of the day

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Evenin' all,

Many of us have a considerable collection of them.....I'm 'guilty as charged' with a four figure tally in a bulging bookcase but there has always been a distinct pecking order amongst my reference shelves. A quick scan across them reveals several tatty but treasured volumes which have been reached for regularly, continuously thumbed through and had numerous notes/comments scribbled in the margins. In contrast, there are other publications which are almost pristine....still important in the collection but seldom referred to.  

Why not add a brief discription of one of your favourites and why it is significant to you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAILWAY-ELEGANCE-PETERS-IVO/dp/0713714794

Here is one of my offerings....'Railway Elegance' by Ivo Peters is certainly one of my best purchases. This outstanding colour album is full of superb 1970s diesels in a range of liveries. There is an excellent cross section of freight, parcels and passenger workings. Definitely one for fans of Western Region railways in the scenery...the way in which Ivo has combined carefully chosen times of day, season, composition and railway subject is hard to match...let alone better. He demonstrates a mastery of his craft, polished over many years. Any modeller of this region/era needing inspiration should look no further...it would be hard to put this one down without being moved by several of his images. 

Dave

Archived