Repowering the Mainline class 56

Good evening,

I've had a search around and I'm sure there was a thread on here regarding repowering a Mainline Grid with Heljan 47 running gear.

Has anyone done this and if so have you info on it?

I'm currently reworking a couple of Mainline 56s and before we get into the debate about the new model being available, I'm using these and I already had them. Plus the new model needs work anyway to make it more grid like.

Cheers

i have stuffed all manner of newer RTR drives into older body shells over the years for the purpose of obtaining the running characteristics of a centre motor chassis, and would suggest a flexible approach. If the 47/57 wheelbase dimensions are near enough for you, then why not add the Bachmann and ViTrain chassis to your list? Either of these likely to be easier to fit than the Heljan, which will almost certainly need the width of the casting cut down to fit inside the body shell; and looking at more options increases your chances of finding something at a good price. And of course if a s/h 56 chassis came along at a good price (perhaps because the body is damaged or missing), that's an even better choice.

Good evening,

I've had a search around and I'm sure there was a thread on here regarding repowering a Mainline Grid with Heljan 47 running gear.

Has anyone done this and if so have you info on it?

I'm currently reworking a couple of Mainline 56s and before we get into the debate about the new model being available, I'm using these and I already had them. Plus the new model needs work anyway to make it more grid like.

Cheers

Wayne,

Why not use the Hornby central motor and bogies, and adapt the Mainline chassis block to take them; almost certainly cheaper than getting a complete Heljan chassis, and a damned sight easier than trying to graft bogie frames from one chassis to another. I've used this technique on 37s, 56s and 60s; all have much improved haulage power over the original locos. Have a look through this web site and see what you can find:-

http://www.petersspares.com/

It'll save you having to rely on a big chunk of Mazak as well- I know Heljan haven't yet had the same level of problems as Bachmann and Hornby, but it saves having to worry.

Have a look at the service sheet for the part numbers; it's HS310D on here:- http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/view/index/cat/2/

Archived