Problems with FUD

Is it me?  Am I the only person who has problems with FUD prints that don't turn out as expected?   Has anyone else had problems with warping models?  The first time I noticed was when I received this:

post-6743-0-54604900-1413833130_thumb.jpg

I thought it had got bent in the post.  But Shapeways Customer Disservice said it wasn't bent in the post but warped and warped because of the features of my design.  This is their explanation:

In this case the model is warping in the flat area, which is consistent with how most plastics would behave, a flat area next to a more solid form is going to cool faster than the other side, causing it to curl upwards. Creating some geometry to resist this motion is the best way to prevent warping.

It would be useful if design tips like this were on the website.

The second model to suffer a problem is this van where the planking lines are stepped up and there are two distinct finishes to the surface as can be seen by the different paint finishes:

post-6743-0-60700900-1413834272.jpg

Are there any other problems that can occur with FUD and how do you avoid them?

Is it me?  Am I the only person who has problems with FUD prints that don't turn out as expected?   Has anyone else had problems with warping models?  The first time I noticed was when I received this:

I thought it had got bent in the post.  But Shapeways Customer Disservice said it wasn't bent in the post but warped and warped because of the features of my design.

You can recover this by placing it a a container which is then filled with boiling water. It will then take up it's intended form. This is really scary as the print will distort even more as it heats up, but I've never had one that didn't recover to it's intended shape. I would suggest that lay the piece on it's side so that it doesn't tend to distort as it cools down. I usually let the pieces cool in the water.

The second model to suffer a problem is this van where the planking lines are stepped up and there are two distinct finishes to the surface as can be seen by the different paint finishes:

Are there any other problems that can occur with FUD and how do you avoid them?

There are; if you look at the solebars on your van you will that the surface is rougher that the side above it, this is cause by the interaction between the plastic and the support material. None of these problems are avoidable, they are inherent in the way the models are formed. However the surface imperfections are very shallow and can be removed with a minimum of work by painting and sanding back the surface with a glass brush.

Archived