Are these details possible in 3D printing?

As a bit of an experiment, and something that will go on my layout at some point, I'm faffing about with 3D printing.

I've drawn this well known artefact and I'm looking to get it 3D printed. And yes, I know that Hornby already make one...

The height is about 30mm, and the panels are 0.3mm deep. Is this feasible with the current generation of 3D printers? If so, what sort of equipment would you have this done on?

I designed it with SLS printing in mind.

post-20800-0-14269400-1413971923.jpg

I think the 0.3 mm deep panelling would be visible using SLS, but the detail would not be very crisp. Also, you would have to careful regarding the thickness of the doors where the door is ajar, as well as the thickness of the sides, assuming it is mainly hollow.

Hi

It does depend on machine, what you consider OK and of course that old question cost. SLS might look a bit layery but a little fetling and should be OK. As far as I am aware and I'm sure I'll get corrected if not, SLS can be expensive for individual small items because you have to search around in the powder to find them, much cheaper if you get a few done on a sprue that connects them. Modern FDM is 0.254mm resolution (10 thou) so just about and Objet is 16 or 28 micron (0.016 / 0.028 mm) so easily will get the detail. Just make sure the design is a solid cuz the finer the resolution, the more chance of small holes messing things up!

Hope that helps.

Tom

I (very pompously :)  )refer you to post 29 of this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77886-is-an-oo-dalek-do-able-on-a-3d-printer/page-2

Where I printed an OO tardis on my home SLS resin printer (a B9 creator)

:yahoo:

Nit picking I know, but I wouldn't have said that a B9 is a SLS Machine, would have thought it closer to a SLA/SL machine. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

You are absolutely right, my apologies - I meant to write SLA but was unconsciously swayed by someone else mentioning SLS earlier in the thread!  Of course, the B9C isn't really either because it uses a projector instead of a laser but, of the well known types, it's closest to SLA.

(modified previous post)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived