Trying again...

dharma66

• RMweb Gold

Welcom to the club. If you do not wear prescription glasses an extra strong pair of reading glasses from Poundland work well for me. Regarding your trackwork unless the whole site was reworked it is probably the L&Y layout with possibly some relaying by the LMS. The original would have been laid out with straight switch turnouts 9ft, 12ft or 15ft, the 9ft ones being in the yard. In an article on old trackwork in Modellers Backtrack there is a reference to the L&Y being slow to change compared to the LNWR.  During LMS days the 9fts were replaced by A switches the 12fts by B switches and the 15fts by C switches. these letter switches hand curved sprung switches and from a modelling viewpoint the curved nature of the swithc gives extra clearance which is helpful. I would suggest starting with the letter switches. TYpically in yards an 9ft 1:7 would be replaced with an A7 which little impact on the approach roads similary B8s and C10s were common. However in model form we often need to compress and A6,B7,C8 will look quite sufficient. If you want further info please ask.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I've built several layouts and probably well into three figures in terms of points and have never bothered about the difference between blades done in feet or letters - I'm not even sure what the difference is or whether it matters, certainly in 2mm. Its easy to get bogged down in unnecessary complications. As a beginner I would get some paper templates - be they Association ones, C&L, Templot generated or whatever and have a crack at building some pointwork.

Jerry 

I've built several layouts and probably well into three figures in terms of points and have never bothered about the difference between blades done in feet or letters - I'm not even sure what the difference is or whether it matters, certainly in 2mm. Its easy to get bogged down in unnecessary complications. As a beginner I would get some paper templates - be they Association ones, C&L, Templot generated or whatever and have a crack at building some pointwork.

Jerry 

Oh such Words of Wisdom!

Keep it simple - get on with the job - run something and enjoy the satisfaction. There'll be too much other business to cope with besides fussing over the finer details of track at the early stages. When the first layout is pensioned off after five years and the second one after a further few more years then consider the nitty gritty of the "Track" book. In the meantime just read snippets so you know where to look for info when you're ready to bore the pants off those who care to listen.

• RMweb Gold

You are quite right Jerry because few know the difference and less would even spot it. These details are things you do because it interests you. A6 and B7 are available as association templates and make good sizes A6 if space is tight B7 or B8 where there is a little more room. I would also suggest for a beginer the larger switches and turnouts are less easy when it comes to filling the blades or making the crossings.

Don

Oh such Words of Wisdom!

Keep it simple - get on with the job - run something and enjoy the satisfaction. There'll be too much other business to cope with besides fussing over the finer details of track at the early stages. When the first layout is pensioned off after five years and the second one after a further few more years then consider the nitty gritty of the "Track" book. In the meantime just read snippets so you know where to look for info when you're ready to bore the pants off those who care to listen.

Thing is, I doubt there will be a second layout. Even if I wanted one. I'm intending to build some test track fairly soon. Meaning several months, probably spring - this is going to be a slow moving project due to time and budget constraints. Space and budget mean whatever I build now is what I live with forever, unless there is a serious change in circumstances. I'm seriously expecting this project to take 10+ years, easily, even though I've seen other people build similar in one year... I expect to have between 2-5 hours a week to spend on this - for everything - track, locos, rolling stock, signalling, scenery. So really, easily 10+ years I reckon...

Archived