class 33 steps

modfather

No drawings, or measurements, I'm afraid but there is a good picture of the steps here:

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1ygylo&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

On Brian Daniels fotopic site, that should allow you to calculate the size of the steps relative to the other bogie parts, or the door aperture.

Whilst it's not ideal to reference model measurements, if you're happy the model is accurate enough, it's OK in the absence of getting access to the real thing, IMO.

HTH

Cheers Martin, I have a couple of brians photos printed out to use, the bug bear for me is the Heljan steps are so thick and do not have the quite distinct holes. I am waiting on a friend at the ESR to have a look at the 33 there before I go mad with the soldering iron.

Cheers Martin, I have a couple of brians photos printed out to use, the bug bear for me is the Heljan steps are so thick and do not have the quite distinct holes. I am waiting on a friend at the ESR to have a look at the 33 there before I go mad with the soldering iron.

No worries. If you can get the information together, it might be dropping Pete Harvey a line, he already does some tasty 37 and 47 etched steps, so could do the 33 as well. Let me know if you get anywhere - I wouldn't mind replacing the steps on mine!

well i can see plain, two hole and four hole variants... prehaps an etch could have all four holes etches and the holes you don't need could be filled with solder.

anyone know if theres a rule for a 33/2?

I can see ph doing them, they are easy enough compared to the brush four steps, there re also some other details that would suit being etched - the safety loops on each side and some proper snow plough mounts...

well i can see plain, two hole and four hole variants... prehaps an etch could have all four holes etches and the holes you don't need could be filled with solder.

mf,

There appear to be no fixed rules regarding the type of steps used - the majority of my photos that I've checked

seem to have a mixture of plain and 4 hole on the same loco, maybe variations due to bogie swaps ?

A big blow up of 33017 at Bristol

post-1161-12654869378335_thumb.jpg

I suspect what ever is on hand gets fitted, on depot i've put whatevers in stock onto units and hsts, cdl panels used to be a good one, can't mix old and new types but noone knew until it all went wrong and a lot of good cdl panels were sent back faulty...

as per usual find a photo and copy it... for 212 i need a mix of ALL BLOOMIN 3 from what i can see... :rolleyes:

No worries. If you can get the information together, it might be dropping Pete Harvey a line, he already does some tasty 37 and 47 etched steps, so could do the 33 as well. Let me know if you get anywhere - I wouldn't mind replacing the steps on mine!

Look very similar (if not identical) to those on the 27s as well - if they were to be etched up I'd put my name down for a few sets :)

(26s were varied tho, some like these, some angled - but that's irrelevant to your thread)

thats ok jamie, 27's are the same but without the extended top step. question is, has anyone got some dimensions?

it appears that the 4 hole config were fitted as new, so I guess the best bet is to get these done, if holes need filling they can be soldered up easy enough.

There appear to be no fixed rules regarding the type of steps used - the majority of my photos that I've checked

seem to have a mixture of plain and 4 hole on the same loco, maybe variations due to bogie swaps ?

Bogie footsteps were frequently written off by 'junk' left in sidings just clear of the running line, if you look at photos, the bottom of the step will be the first thing to be hit and many got 'swept back' in this way. The replacement would be whatever was to hand, and often robbed from another loco under repair.

Chris

I have had a look through some of my 33/2 pics, the hole type steps seem more common, but 33211 pictured below has both.

As Chris said they would get knocked off and replaced with what they had.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12655041250382_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12655041793272_thumb.jpg

Archived