Point types

mikes rail

• RMweb Gold

Good evening

I am looking to order some parts from the track shop and am after a little advice. I have a plan for a small layout which is based on Peco large radius points. I know there is a difference between Peco design and fine scale or prototype but could someone tell me what the nearest type of point would Mach the Peco ones in size as I wish to order the jigs for building soon.

Thanks for any advice

Mike

Have a look on the photos section of the Association's Virtual Area Group. If you scroll down far enough you will find the templates for the Easitrac turnouts. You could download them and then print them out to scale. (I don't know if they come out that way or if you would have to scale them for your printer) or even just compare them on the screen to get an idea of the various geometries.

• RMweb Gold

Do you have templot if so scanning the plan into background will allow you to build a new plan on the top and see what turnouts you can fit in. An A6 is a quite reasonable turnout although on the small size . However full size if would be rather tight for a passenger train so not quite as finescale as you might like.

Regards Don

• RMweb Premium

Good evening

I am looking to order some parts from the track shop and am after a little advice. I have a plan for a small layout which is based on Peco large radius points. I know there is a difference between Peco design and fine scale or prototype but could someone tell me what the nearest type of point would Mach the Peco ones in size as I wish to order the jigs for building soon.

Thanks for any advice

Mike

To answer your specific question a B7 produced via Templot using the standard settings most closely matches the Peco code 55 & 80 large radius points. A B6 does the same for the medium radius Peco types. Be aware that the 2mm SA templates (I don't know about the jigs or point bases) do not come out at quite the same size as those produced using Templot, so it is best to stick to one or the other. If you can master Templot then it's brilliant for setting out trackwork and the printed output (I use PDF/multiple joined A4 sheets) is millimetre perfect even over large areas.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Be aware that the 2mm SA templates (I don't know about the jigs or point bases) do not come out at quite the same size as those produced using Templot, so it is best to stick to one or the other.

Hi Izzy,

Templot can be set to match other templates if it is important. The first thing to try is probably to change from regular-type V-crossings to generic-type. You may also want to convert to CLM unit angles instead of RAM.

regards,

Martin.

Archived