RMweb keeps logging me off

For the last three days RMweb has been kicking me off when I click on VNC. It did it two or three times the previous two days and every time I tried to do anything tonight. The routine is:

1. Click a page number or next in VNC.

2. Click to dismiss the RMweb uses cookies pop-over.

3. Fill in the sign-in dialogue (including checking the remember me item).

4. Click to dismiss the RMweb uses cookies pop-over.

5. Read the page in VNC and click the next page number or the next button.

6. Click to dismiss the RMweb uses cookies pop-over, etc, etc, etc.

Is this a cunning plan to help me to remember my password? It took me three sign-ins to get to a point where I could post this. It doesn't happen on NGRM, which also uses IP Board software, or anywhere else. Manually deleting the RMweb cookie doesn't make any difference. 

I'm using Safari 5.1.10 on a MacPro running OS X 10.6.8.

• RMweb Gold

2. Click to dismiss the RMweb uses cookies pop-over.

Hi,

You must click the OK button to accept RMweb cookies. If you dismiss the message by clicking the X you won't be able to log in.

If that's not the problem you most likely have duplicate RMweb cookies. If you delete all RMweb cookies (allowing them to be reset), all should be well. More about how to do that here:

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/online/cookies

regards,

Martin.

Hi,

You must click the OK button to accept RMweb cookies. If you dismiss the message by clicking the X you won't be able to log in.

If that's not the problem you most likely have duplicate RMweb cookies. If you delete all RMweb cookies (allowing them to be reset), all should be well. More about how to do that here:

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/online/cookies

regards,

Martin.

Yep. Clicked the OK button each time. And there was only the one RMweb cookie, which I deleted fairly early on in the piece.

However, tonight, without my making any further changes at my end, all RMweb pages have loaded without any problems. Hopefully whatever was causing the problem (a GWR modeller let out after dark perhaps?) has moved on to bother someone else.

• RMweb Premium

I used to get this problem when we were up in the campground, using their system. Problem would disappear when we returned home without my doing anything differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ho, hey ho, here we go again. The site has worked fine for the last fortnight, but tonight it's back to kicking me off each time I click on a link. After deleting the RMweb cookie umpty times the site seems to be working again, but for how long?

I don't think Windows or IE updates would have a huge effect on OS X and Safari.

Particularly good tonight – got the "we got cookies" pop-up and the "you don't have permission to use the search system, you naughty boy" screen before even the home page could be bothered loading. At least Safari remembers where I was last in its preferences, so I don't have to scroll through 1680 cookies each time I want to delete just the RMweb one....

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Windows or IE updates would have a huge effect on OS X and Safari.

Particularly good tonight – got the "we got cookies" pop-up and the "you don't have permission to use the search system, you naughty boy" screen before even the home page could be bothered loading. At least Safari remembers where I was last in its preferences, so I don't have to scroll through 1680 cookies each time I want to delete just the RMweb one....

Ah, so you're getting much the same as me - had it a few minutes ago in fact, twice asked to click 'I love cookies' then got it a third time and booted off.  As it was the first occasion on this session I had to go through the Safari list to delete the cookie but it will take me straight to it (almost) next time unless i close Safari in the meanwhile.

BTW there has not been a safari update for some time - long before this problem started for me. 

• RMweb Gold

There is no point in blaming RMweb because this problem is almost always at the user end.

Most likely you have multiple cookies with the same name. And most likely the reason for that is that your broadband threw a wobbly just at the very moment RMweb was trying to send you a cookie.

The consequence is that your browser keeps returning the wrong cookie to RMweb when RMweb asks for it.

The problem will continue every time you try to log in until you delete the offending cookies. If your broadband connection is dodgy, the whole thing will likely start again a few days later.

Cookies are browser-specific, so if you are having trouble in one browser, the simplest short term solution is to switch to a different browser. You can be logged in on two different browsers at the same time without any problems arising. Firefox is available on a Mac computer in addition to Safari.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Every time I look at the list I have only got one RMweb cookie - delete it, close the list, reopen it and the RMweb cookie has reappeared (logical as I am on RMweb while doing the deleting etc).  After doing that twice I'm not showing an RMweb cookie so it will be interesting to see what happens when I try to post this post.

Well iyt let me post and as soon as it had posted I checked and found I had an RMweb cookie - so I am receiving cookies.  The interesting point is taht teh Safari list only shows one whereas when I had a problem in the past it actually showed several.

So, okay. Tonight I again got the cookie warning pop-up as soon as the RMweb home page started to load. I therefore did the usual precautionary deletion of the (single) RMweb cookie, as one does. RMweb then worked fine, saving itself for P4 of VNC when it launched an endless loop of cookie warnings, you do not have permission to use the search engine pages and sign-in pages. Once I got bored with this little game I deleted the cookie again and VNC worked through to the final page. Of course, I still got the cookie warning and had to sign in again for every page I'd opened in a new tab from VNC. This doesn't happen in another forum I use with the IP.Board software. Indeed I can't recall when I last had any sort of problem whatsoever with any sort of web site other than RMweb, so I don't find snide comments about problems usually being at the user end all that wildly helpful. I think I may have to find a more productive way to waste my time.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I can't recall when I last had any sort of problem whatsoever with any sort of web site other than RMweb, so I don't find snide comments about problems usually being at the user end all that wildly helpful.

Hi Krusty,

It wasn't intended as a snide comment, just a simple statement of fact. I'm sorry if it read that way.

The vast majority of RMweb users do not have this problem, all using the same RMweb software, so the idea that the solution must lie at the user end is just simple logic.

Have you tried using a different browser? That's always the simplest and quickest thing to try.

regards,

Martin.

I was just about to say that there was nothing "snide" about Martin's comments, they were, as he says, a simple statement of fact.

As to the Mac problem, if such it is, I also am running the same versions of OSX and Safari as my ancient Mac Mini cannot take anything more recent. I've been using it for an hour or so this morning on RMweb (I usually use another machine) and have not encountered anything like what you describe. That's a small sample, I know, but it does suggest the problem may not be with RMweb. I'll leave it running today and report back if anything odd does crop up. You mention removing the "single" cookie. In fact there are many but Safari's preferences only shows a list of sites, not individual cookies from each site. Selecting this and pressing the remove button deletes all RMweb cookies and clears the cache of RMweb objects.

As to your mention of other IPBoard sites, remember that IPBoard compries core components and a large number of optional add-ons. It is quite likely that any two sites are using quite different combinations of add-ons so, beyond the core, comparison between sites may say very little.

Finally, as Martin says, try a different browser

Nick

The vast majority of RMweb users do not have this problem, all using the same RMweb software, so the idea that the solution must lie at the user end is just simple logic.

No other sites have had any sort of problem for several years, so the idea that the solution must lie at the RMweb end is just simple logic.

It worked fine tonight, with no changes at my end.

• RMweb Gold

Worked fine again tonight. Still haven't changed anything hereabouts.

As I explained, this problem is often caused by an iffy broadband connection at the time the cookie is being set. It will work fine until the next time the broadband has a bad day. When/if that happens, contact your broadband service provider.

regards,

Martin.

Archived