LT Panniers at Aylesbury

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang, my local MRC are recreating a N gauge layout of Aylesbury in the late 50's, early 60's and I was wondering if LT's panniers ever made it as far as there.  I have seen several pictures of them at Stoke Mandeville station with LT ballast hoppers and brake vans.

Just fancy getting a Dapol pannier to add a little interest.

Julian Sprott

7711 the first LT pannier at Aylesbury but before being painted in LT red note the LT brake van behind the loco.

Date 22nd May 1956

Also noteworthy is that the cab roof profile hasn't yet been modified. Indeed, if it wasn't for the LT brake and the fact that the BR shed plate has been removed (note fixing bolts still in place), one might almost believe it was still a BR loco.

My father drove panniers for LT, as well as met E and F class locos. He used to roar with laughter recounting a tale when the signalman at Aylesbury South Box gave him the road when the up Master Cutler was due, and he had a recalcitrant fire and equally reclitrant fireman, whom he encouraged to liven up the fire with much North London vernacular language, as they ground south towards Neasden.

Probably him embellishing the story, but he reckoned the signalman at Aylesbury had a smile on his face when they were given the road. He loved the panniers though - said they would pull anything. Lots of photos of him in Red Panniers- Ray Wood. I think he had fairly frequent turns out to Aylesbury - which is why he and Mum moved there when it was being expanded in the mid sixties.

I was born and grew up there -educated at Floyd circa 78 to 84 - always liked walking past the station on the way to and from school in the days before the goods depot was demolished, there used to be a 25 there pretty frequently, and there was often an 08 in the carriage dock/ stub bay on the up side under the footbridge to south court.

As an aside Dad said there were 16 ton coal wagons stored on the Aylesbury High Street branch from Cheddington at the back of our house on Broughton when him and Mum moved out to Aylesbury in 66. Dad worked for LT till retirement in 92..

Regards

Matt Wood

Archived