Advice re ultra-compact 00 layout

I've been working on a very compact 00 layout. This is a temporary project -- so that I can at least operate trains -- while our basement undergoes renovations.

The layout is only about 5.5 feet long by 2.7 feet wide. Thanks to this forum, I rececently learned that Fleischman makes some excellellent 14" radius curves which I'm using for its outer loop. The inner loop uses 10" radius(!) curves, so I can only run old Triang locos, plus 1-2 Dublo ones and 0-4-0s on it.

Inside this inner loop I have some sidings -- one set of these could work as an Inglenook, so I can operate the layout both as a small switching layout as well as a continuous run.

I can run both my new and vintage stock on the outer loop but only a limited number of locos obviously on the inner one.

My question is: should I scrap the unrealistic inner loop in favour of setting up a more elaborate switching/shunting area or should I leaved the layout as it is? If the layout would look and operate better with a more complicated shunting area in the middle (while having the outer loop run around it), could anyone suggest any track plans that might work?

I'll try to post a pic later. Thanks in advance.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand  :O , is there much to be gained?  At the moment, the two half-loops of the inner circuit function as the headshunts for the two siding fans, which you do need anyway ......

Do you get any problems propelling stock on those curves while shunting?

If it all runs OK then at least you can run trains on the outer circuit while you shunt at the moment.

Thanks... That's my plan at the moment. I can get my old Triang stock and two Dublo 0-6-0s to go around the inner loop. My new Bachman 08 switcher can cope with the ultra tight curves as well. I might buy 1-2 new 0-4-0s for the inner loop as well.

Cheers, Rob

Triang locos can cope with some amazingly silly curves,  I have an oval with 7" curves that my Jinty will negotiate with it's centre drivers several mm off the rails.  A Dapol Terrier will go round one way but not the other.

Archived