Bachmann Class 37 Headcode Access

RBAGE

Hello All,

I hope someone can help.

Bachmann do a great job at satisfying the green diesel days, blue TOPS and beyond.

I must have been born at the wrong time because me spotting days were late 60's to early 70's.

Consequently, my layout will be blue diesels in the pre-TOPS period. It's was a short period so not surprising that it's largely overlooked.

I recently bought a class 37. Sorry, English Electric type 3 in TOPS blue with domino headcode.

The older type of model had easy access to the headcode panel to change the headcode but the new type of model looks impossible without the risk of serious damage.

The LED board is on the replacement parts list so should be removable but I can't see how.

Can anyone help with advice on how to change the headcode number?

Thanks,

Bob 

• RMweb Gold

Morning Bob

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-7138-0-53562400-1397860290.jpg

No doubt this is what you are after!

Still need to work out a way to make the blinds work, driver has completely the wrong headcode up for this working :jester:

Phil

Morning Bob

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-7138-0-53562400-1397860290.jpg

No doubt this is what you are after!

Still need to work out a way to make the blinds work, driver has completely the wrong headcode up for this working :jester:

Phil

Hello Phil,

Always nice to see something from Abbottswood. My inspiration.

I'm busy renumbering and changing headcodes.

I had some difficulty getting access to the headcode lens's (is that the plural of lens?) but all sorted now.

I use Tcut and a cotton bud to remove the existing code but I'm not absolutely satisfied with it. I'm loosing some of the clarity. Do you have any tips?

Bob

care to share ?

I'll give it a go but technology is not my strong point. Not sure I have a strong point anyway.

First the new class 37 with split headcode boxes:

NOTE: I think the old style split headcode box version is the same but I haven't done one yet (looks the same).

post-23776-0-66169000-1415533882_thumb.jpg

The box front can be easily removed using your finger nail to break the glue line.

post-23776-0-12688400-1415533855_thumb.jpg

Box cover removed.

post-23776-0-68428100-1415533910_thumb.jpg

The lens is then removed with slight pressure from the inside. I used a cocktail stick and applying pressure in the corners. Moving round each corner until the lens comes out (not too much pressure).

Second is the new version with centre headcode:

post-23776-0-24516100-1415534301_thumb.jpg

I used my thumbnail on the edge of the lens to prize it out from the outside. Dead easy.

Third is the old style with centre headcode. Simply push the lens inwards using a cotton bud.

As I've already explained to Phil, I use Tcut on a cotton bud to remove the existing code on the back of the lens. The results are OK but some of the lens clarity is lost. That might be because I'm a bit heavy handed.

Using replacement headcode detail adds a bit of thickness so that the lens sits a bit proud of the surround. You may consider fashioning a replacement with clear plastic sheet but I'm quite happy with the results from that point of view.

Hope this helps.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

That would have been my tip - replace the original thick glazing with thin plastic glazing, material from any Bachmann rolling stock box window works well and is easily trimmed to shape

Cheers

Phil

Archived