N Gauge Section ?

ThePurplePrimer

I appreciate that N Gauge ( or is it N Scale ? ) isn't the same thing as 2mm Finescale, but I can't see a section on RMweb dedicated to N ?

I have a history, I am afraid, of not seeing what is under my nose, so I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction ( unless of course there isn't one )

Hi Andrew

Well there is a 7mm ( and larger scales ) one which is of course mainly for the O gauge modellers

Somehow N gauge feels different enough to me ( but what do I know ) that it could have its own section.

I guess not though or some of the N gauge fans would have brought it up before now.

I don't think there are any scale'gauge specific sections apart from the "special interest" such as this or "O gauge modular" for example.

Andrew

Actually there are section for:

2mm

3mm

7mm

S scale

T gauge

Narrow gauge

I think there is a good case for an N gauge section

I'm personally not convinced that more separatism between scales is a good thing.  It's OK for the more niche areas to have somewhere to discuss scale specific issues (such as the 'special interests' sections), but I'm really not sure about separating off N and O into separate areas, leaving only 4mm in the 'main' parts of the site.  So much of what we do is common to all scales that I think it would be very sad for the community to further separate discussions into smaller groups.  In my opinion there is a bit too much of that anyway.  The general sections of RMWeb (Layout & Workbench Content and Skills & Knowledge Centre) often seem to miss out on some fantastic modelling, which ends up squirrelled away in an obscure corner of a special interests sub-group where relatively few people will see and enjoy it.

There are entire separate forums for most scales and one of the best things about RMWeb is that it's a centre for all the different branches of the hobby to come together.

Just my thoughts.

I'm personally not convinced that more separatism between scales is a good thing.  It's OK for the more niche areas to have somewhere to discuss scale specific issues (such as the 'special interests' sections), but I'm really not sure about separating off N and O into separate areas, leaving only 4mm in the 'main' parts of the site.  So much of what we do is common to all scales that I think it would be very sad for the community to further separate discussions into smaller groups.  In my opinion there is a bit too much of that anyway.  The general sections of RMWeb (Layout & Workbench Content and Skills & Knowledge Centre) often seem to miss out on some fantastic modelling, which ends up squirrelled away in an obscure corner of a special interests sub-group where relatively few people will see and enjoy it.

There are entire separate forums for most scales and one of the best things about RMWeb is that it's a centre for all the different branches of the hobby to come together.

Just my thoughts.

I actually agree with you, although I made the earlier post pointing out that there are a number of seperate sections for different scales!

I don't model in N myself, (although I have in the past), so do not have any axe to grind.

I often read a lot of the other sections myself - you are right in saying that there are some real gems tucked away that are often hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived