GHQ Kits - my next task(s)

On the 'Woodsville' layout we have an Agricultural Merchant who supplies all manner of items relating to farming etc.  Amongst these and alongside the usual seeds, fertilisers, fencing we have decided will be farm machinery and we have 2 or 3 tractors available for purchase or servicing/repair.  Wanting something a bit more exotic, I Googled 'HO Scale farm machinery models' or similar and discovered GHQ Kits -

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/ho-scale-miniatures.html

Along with very extensive Wargaming ranges they also make Farm and Construction models in HO and N and offer an on-line purchase facility.  I decided to buy the Manure Spreader and Plough (Plow) - and also their Ford Hot Rod kit which I couldn't resist!  I bought on-line and had them delivered to a friend's address in the states.

I decided to start on the Manure Spreader this morning and this is what I found when I opened the package. 

post-807-0-12970500-1415804701_thumb.jpg

Very nice clean castings in Pewter of some very small components!  Plus an etch of some equally small parts.  I think I will need to use my 3X magnification specs!  I will be using my nemesis - superglue - to construct it, much to small to solder, along with a supply of quaint anglo-saxon terms in all probability.

The other 2 kits are still wrapped - for now!

post-807-0-96985300-1415804724_thumb.jpg

These any good for your agricultural merchants or are they a bit early??

attachicon.giftractors.jpg

There just lying in my "what to do with these box",if there any use i'll bring them to Wakefield,seeing i've talked the better have into needing some "retail therapy" on the Sat/Sun of the exhibition :locomotive:

Ray

That's a very generous offer Ray, I personally have no objection to you bringing them along.  The layout is dated c. 1953 so I suppose that, strictly speaking, they are a bit early period - but who knows what might still be lurking in the New Hampshire countryside!

Will you be having some retail therapy as well?

Yes, the GHQ stuff is very nice (I used to wargame, so I have a large collection of their Micro Armor too). The only railway-related item I can't get on with is their N-scale conversion kit to turn a Kato USRA 2-8-2 Heavy Mikado into a PRR L1s. Both the original boiler casting and a replacement one they sent have a subtle twist in them - if I set the steam pipes level on the cylinders the cab floor is not level - and it isn't really something that can be corrected.

Adrian

BTW, 'Green' means a Deere prototype, 'Red' means an International Harvester one. Names no longer used for licensing reasons.

Adrian

Ah, thanks.  Now I comprehend.  I wondered what the difference was!

This German Ebay trader usually has a selection listed here N&HO, he is very prompt, Walthers item arrived in 4 working days! I've bought several items over the last 12 months .

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MODELLEISENBAHN-NORD/HO-Auto-LKW-/_i.html?_fsub=2301244&_sid=17250769&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 

The lowboy trailer and open cab JCB style digger are on my christmas list!

Goodness gracious me!  That was an epic afternoon.  Never used super-glue so much in my life before.  And drilling holes!  A 0.35mm hole into something not much more than 0.5mm wide.  All a 'bit fiddly' to say the least.  I'm currently 'resting' (ie calming my nerves) ready for the session to bend and fit said 0.35mm wire into brake linkages etc. and fit the last few etchings and castings.

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Photos to come once it's finished!

And a 'critique' of the kit in general.

Here's your farm machinery merchant, in New Hampshire even.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=44.888584,-71.457444&spn=0.00003,0.019205&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.888584,-71.457444&panoid=7SWPl3RZFka_B5CM7g9tIg&cbp=12,143.76,,0,-8.25

They have toned things down a bit from the first few times I went by (~2000), when both sides of the road were completely filled with farm/construction/logging equipment for a fair bit longer stretch than the current display. On the south side of the road it used to extend beyond the next telephone pole east of the current area (basically filling the open area).

Adrian

Edit: corrected direction.

Here's your farm machinery merchant, in New Hampshire even.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=44.888584,-71.457444&spn=0.00003,0.019205&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.888584,-71.457444&panoid=7SWPl3RZFka_B5CM7g9tIg&cbp=12,143.76,,0,-8.25

They have toned things down a bit from the first few times I went by (~2000), when both sides of the road were completely filled with farm/construction/logging equipment for a fair bit longer stretch than the current display. On the south side of the road it used to extend beyond the next telephone pole west of the current area (basically filling the open area).

Adrian

Hmm, I don't think ours will ever get QUITE as big as that!

On the 'Woodsville' layout we have an Agricultural Merchant who supplies all manner of items relating to farming etc.  Amongst these and alongside the usual seeds, fertilisers, fencing we have decided will be farm machinery and we have 2 or 3 tractors available for purchase or servicing/repair.  Wanting something a bit more exotic, I Googled 'HO Scale farm machinery models' or similar and discovered GHQ Kits -

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/ho-scale-miniatures.html

Along with very extensive Wargaming ranges they also make Farm and Construction models in HO and N and offer an on-line purchase facility.  I decided to buy the Manure Spreader and Plough (Plow) - and also their Ford Hot Rod kit which I couldn't resist!  I bought on-line and had them delivered to a friend's address in the states.

I decided to start on the Manure Spreader this morning and this is what I found when I opened the package. 

attachicon.gifGHQ Manure Spreader Kit.2.JPG

Very nice clean castings in Pewter of some very small components!  Plus an etch of some equally small parts.  I think I will need to use my 3X magnification specs!  I will be using my nemesis - superglue - to construct it, much to small to solder, along with a supply of quaint anglo-saxon terms in all probability.

The other 2 kits are still wrapped - for now!

attachicon.gifGHQ Kits.1.JPG

Might be worthwhile looking at Langleys for some of their agricultural stuff

The February 2012 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman included an article detailing how railroads served a tractor plant, in this instance the J. I . Case plant in Racine, WI.

The article included a reproduction of the rules alluded to by Phil Clark, above.

It also noted that tractors and other equipment was shipped in boxcars designed for automobile loading. There are two photographs dated 1940 showing tractors being loaded into a Milwaukee Road rib-side car and a UP boxcar. The UP car was fitted with heavy duty racks allowing for two levels of tractors or other equipment to be loaded. The caption notes that a wooden ramp was used to load the upper level.

Judging from the article and the accompanying pictures the predominant method of shipping was on flat cars of gradually increasing length, but the automobile boxcar is an alternative if you get tired of arranging all the loading paraphernalia.

Managed to finish it (apart from paint) a few days ago and now taken some (rather poor!) photos.

Here are a couple showing 3/4 side shots -

post-807-0-31737900-1416310662.jpg

post-807-0-02214800-1416310635.jpg

And it fits very well on the Peterbilt Flat Truck I finished a couple of weeks ago -

post-807-0-30118700-1416310738.jpg

post-807-0-48046200-1416310763.jpg

As far as the build is concerned, it was a challenge!  Some of the parts are small and attached to the sprue with very 'thick' gates and require a sharp scalpel blade to remove them.  However, as it is cast in Pewter rather than white metal, there is slightly more strength.  A bit of delicate filing is then necessary to clean up the cut marks.  Happily, the manufacturers provide 2 of each part cast on the sprue which is commendable and allows for mishaps.  The main body was slightly distorted and was to wide to accept the cross pieces for the 'blades'.  I had to 'adjust' it with pliers (with some packing to prevent damage) until it was OK.

This is the first time I've completely used super-glue to construct a kit, normally I would solder as much as possible but due to the delicacy of some parts I decided to glue - and didn't stick my fingers together.  Hardly.....................

Next is the Plough/Plow.

The parts look even smaller..................................

See it at Wakefield Show !

In a lot of cases, the (usually not recommended) technique of bending the part back and forth will fatigue it off the sprue with minimal amounts of the gate left as the thinnest part of the gate is usually right at the part. For anyone who builds plastic kits this is a no-no, but it works with the GHQ pewter kits.

Adrian

That's a very generous offer Ray, I personally have no objection to you bringing them along.  The layout is dated c. 1953 so I suppose that, strictly speaking, they are a bit early period - but who knows what might still be lurking in the New Hampshire countryside!

Will you be having some retail therapy as well?

Having grown up in the New Hampshire countryside it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were still some lurking somewhere.

Archived