Model shop in Hamburg

mark alden

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Will need to check on model shops. As for your question concerning ICEs, do you have a specific itinerary yet? I'd need to know this to check whether any of those ICE formations with "lounges" would be diagrammed on those services you'd be taking. ICE 1 and 2 sets do not have lounge seats.

Cheers,

Dom

There is a Panorama-wagen at either end of an ICE3 - I think 1st is supposed to be at the German end of the train (on the Brussels-Frankfurt) but there is often a problem..

The driver can choose to mist the entire wall so you can't see anything (from my small statistical size, more often then not unfortunately) but you can usually see where you have been provided there isn't a member of staff hiding in the back. because the nose section narrows you might get a better view from the second row seats in the middle of the coach, rather than the very front row, I suspect that the 1st class Panorama-wagen is actually the quiet zone and tends not to get booked unless specifically asked for - you may find that it isn't booked and available to sit in if you can't book it in advance.

If you can be online 93 days before departure at 11pm (uk) you can often get London-most places in Germany for 59Euro 2nd, 109 1st class.

Jon

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the info on the model shop.

My plan for the few days is to take me and my 2 boys (9 & 15) to the Miniatur Wunderland, then an afternoon trip from Hamburg to Hannover on the ICE and onto Wernigerode for a night then a day on the HSB steam and back to Hamburg the same evening.

I am hoping to take them on a little jaunt behind some 218's too but I understand the timetables change soon so there is less and less chance to ride behind them. A ride on the old silverfish stock with the huge opening windows would be ideal.

I did go over in the mid 80's bashing, cant think where the attached picture was taken.... but I do know the snow was deep!

post-8027-0-31433300-1415870864_thumb.jpg

There is also a very nice model train shop in Altona, in the Ehrenbergstraße, just a few minutes walk from the terminus Hamburg-Altona.

http://www.modellbahn-altona.de/

The station is really worth a look as the Autoreisezüge are (still) unloaded via the platform-end concourse. Fascinating! In August my friend Günther and I wasted a happy hour watching the car transporters being unloaded.post-17587-0-35083800-1415909605_thumb.jpg

The last time I was in Hamburg I spent a full day at miniature wunderland.

A few years ago visited a shop on the outskirts I think it might be in Pinnenburg.

Some ice have a quiet zone behind driver often there are spaces in there but some drivers mist the glass so you can't watch them.

• 2 weeks later...

As a colonial commoner living just outside of Hamburg I can confirm that most ICE traffic is ICE 1 & 2 and hence have no lounge facilities. ICE3 trains generally work from Cologne to Frankfurt am Main and Munich. Up in the north there is the occasional ICE-TD but as far as I'm aware they do not have lounge seating. Decent model shops have been hard to come across in central Hamburg- not too sure about the outskirts but there is an excellent model shop in Hannover (Train & Play) with a variety of scales, trains, scenic items and a second hand section (ask for models to be tested if buying second hand). There are frequent IC and ICE links between the cities but can be pricey. If you're on a budget you can buy a Niedersachsen ticket for 22 euros and an extra 4 euros per extra passenger which is much more flexible and allows unlimited travel on all local trains i.e. non IC/ICE. Hamburg-Hannover is a little over two hours with a 15 minute change in Uelzen on the Metronom service.

Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg is highly recommended. Depending on when you go pre-booking may be necessary but check the website

Hope this helps

Wedel, on the outskirts of Hamburg has a model shop a few hundred yards from the S-Bahn station.

Probably this one ....  http://www.hobbycenterwedel.de/                                      

22880 Wedel, Mühlenstr. 42, tel. 04103/17914,  E-mail address: versand@hobbycenterwedel.de

Scroll down the plain homepage to see what they stock !

• 3 months later...

I can recommend:

Modellbahnen Uwe Hesse, Inhaberin Martina Hesse
Landwehr 29, 22087 Hamburg, Deutschland
040 / 25 52 60
040 / 250 42 61 http://hesse-modellbahnen.de

They are located just 2 stations from the Main Station with the S-Bahn direction Poppenbüttel/Airport. You can see the semaphore in front of the shop from the S-Bahn "Landwehr" looking north.

Archived