Scalemania - Braintree Essex

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Usual disclaimer etc.

I have just "discovered" Scalemania in Braintree although they have been open for 18 months. (I've been "away" for over 3 years with only sporadic trips back to Blighty).  As well as R/C cars and rockets and dolls-house stuff, there are model kits and model railway stuff.

Usual offering of Hornby track and products, as well as the full range of paints AND Humbrol aerosols as well (on a great bulk buy price).  Glues, flocks balsa, Evergreen plastics.......... ratio kits, Airfix kits etc

Staff know what they are talking about and helpful: they have ordered some Oxford Diecast stuff in for me.  Some shops won't order in - never worked out why.

Big downer is that there is no parking anywhere near the shop (on an "enterprise estate" - Braintree Council: how do you expect enterprise to happen if you can't deal with visitors - enterprise is not all done online!)

Shop is behind the Sportsman bar/snooker Hall/opposite Frank Howard's building supplies -  near to the main Post Office sorting centre.

They open late one night a week and also run a modellers club I hear - Google them for more info.

Edited by M.I.B

• 4 weeks later...

Braintree Model Railways, owned by Geoff Killick, started life at the BEES centre - Braintree Council enterprise centre. Geoff grew the business until he moved to South Street, helped by Jerry (repaints) and Mark amongst others over the years.

Is Geoff still around? I haven't seen him for a few years, and I know he was having problems with his legs. I remember the shop in South Street well, as I used to work in Braintree back in the early 1990's. I've seen Jerry a few times. He did some superb conversions and repaints. 

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just made a trip to Braintree, and stopped and made a polite enquirer about the aforementioned business with one of the business, and by all accounts the business has gone bust as there was a bailiff notice on the door 3 weeks ago. 

Could a moderator lock this thread.

Terry      

• Like 1