M L premier kits PK24 & PK25

At the Bristol swap meet this weekend I picked up a box of junk at what was very right price,mainly interested in the finished Ks coal tank in there, binned the remains of the triang princess and Brit ,kept the other locos that are in bits, but also in there was a triang hall detailed up with a M L premier kit detailing kits for the body and chassis the clue there were the packets and instructions in the boxes, it's never going to be the bees knees but it looks a lot better for being shorter than triang made it,

Now the question and help please is it looks like I have a tender detailing kit as well, as there is a bag of castings which look like ( well are ) tender bits, but I have no instructions for it, I presume it's designed for the triang 4000g job ? Now I have a few spair mainline and Hornby grange tenders of the 3500 size, am I better off useing one of them rather than the triang job?

The M&L "Hall" detailing kits didn't really cater for 3500 gallon tenders.

I understood that because after all the Hornby grange tender wouldn't have been around in the eighty's

I wanted to know if I could use a the grange tender or the mainline small tender instead of the triang effort and the detailing bits

I E when did small tenders go out of use on halls

....I wanted to know if I could use a the grange tender or the mainline small tender instead of the triang effort and the detailing bits

I E when did small tenders go out of use on halls

Some were still attached to them in the late 1930s, i.e. 1938 or 1939, but I think it really depends on which engine you want to portray.

Some were still attached to them in the late 1930s, i.e. 1938 or 1939, but I think it really depends on which engine you want to portray.

I haven't decided which engine it will be yet, it's not been in my hands for 24hrs yet give me chance, nor do I know what the original builder based for it to be a particular loco , I can't promise it's going to turn into a dead accurate model because it started out as a Triang hall, and I just took pity on it after finding it in the box of stuff and it looks pretty good considering.

this afternoon rummaging around I found a airfix castle tender top which I expect to be a bit better than the triang job, so might use that if I don't go down the small tender route, but as I type this I am thinking that the bigger tender is more in the triang tradition

As a side issue what other conversion kits did M L produce ? I didn't know they did any until I found this one, I do know about the full kits

?..what other conversion kits did M L produce ? I didn't know they did any until I found this one, I do know about the full kits

They produced a conversion kit to give the old Mainline (later Replica) 57xx the modern 8750 wrap-over cab, plus a conversion kit to modify the Mainline 43xx 2-6-0 to the side-window cab 93xx.

Archived