Any experience of Dynamis on a larg(ish) layout?

sse

Hello all

I've finally got back to working on my layout, N gauge about 3m square.

So far I have put down two circular lines with a flyover, so about 20m of track in total.

Power distribution is via twin-and-earth, copper tape bus in local sections with short twin cat5 droppers soldered to all track joiners. Shorts instantly at all locations and resistance of 0 with a multimeter.

I haven't yet automated the point frog switching so I expect (and get) some occasional glitching from relying on the point blades.

The problem is that I'm getting some unpredictable running at various places around the layout, sometimes in the same place, sometimes not.

I have meticulously cleaned the loco (two Farish 47s) wheel tyres, wheel rears and pickups with degreaser and lubricated the gear trains very sparingly. Bench testing seems to confirm the locos are running quite sweetly when power is applied directly.

I have degreased and cleaned the track (was pretty dirty) and will do so again on Thursday before trying again. I will also recheck the tightness of all wiring.

The Dynamis controller is right next to the base unit so I'm not blocking the line of sight.

I am wondering whether I am reaching the limit of what is possible with the basic Dynamis system so am interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully run the basic Dynamis with a larger layout.

Cheers

Hi how have you wired your layout?myself i put droppers in every break in the rails NOT on the rail joiners.Its better to have to many droppers than not enough.You seem to be doing the correct things.Im not familiar with dynamisis but i would think the same rules appy (electrical wise) to every controller.Its a mtter of getting electricity to every part of your layout in an ever distribution as you can

David

I initially used a Dynamis on two small exhibition layouts with great success, I moved up a bit and operated a 12' by 2' layout, ( sanatorium road) a OO modern image, I had 9 DCC digital cobalt motors, and around 4-5 sound equipped locos as well as some non sound on the layout at any one time,

Unfortunately I began to get intermittent operation and had two failures at two shows, very frustrated, I changed controller.

I like the dynamis, I just struggled with it on that layout.

( I thought I had a faulty controller so I borrowed one off a retailer, but it suffered the same un predictable performance I couldn't be bothered to remedy the situation and changed system.

I think the dynamis is an entry level controller thats been upgraded soon,might be an idea to look for a better .I have used the Gaugemaster prodigy 2 + the NCE both are easy to use n theres a lot of info out therefor both systems especially the NCE on YouTube

Cheers for the comments all.

I solder to the joiners rather than the rails as I find it very difficult to solder to the rails especially on curved sections where the sleepers move. I clean the rails before joining them and squeeze on the joiners with small pliers so hopefully that should be OK.

I've put the bus wiring in two "legs" around the layout with the end points diagonally across from the base unit.

I expect the fits and starts over points as I haven't wired the frogs yet but the pausing and glitching on straight sections is puzzling me. The same loco can behave well for a while and then start to misbehave.

I can lash up a small Hornby DC controller on Thursday so I'll try that. I'll also try turning the fluorescent lights out!

I'll try to post up some photos of the layout at the weekend.

I've finally got back to working on my layout, N gauge about 3m square.

How long since you wired it up? If fairly recent then power distribution through rail joiners will be fine, but I would question long term reliability. You can improve things by soldering the joiners to the rail on one side only. That gives a good connection whilst allowing for movement due to thermal expansion.

Power distribution is via twin-and-earth, copper tape bus in local sections with short twin cat5 droppers soldered to all track joiners. Shorts instantly at all locations and resistance of 0 with a multimeter.

Did you wire the bus as a complete ring? If not try connecting it into a ring. If yes, then try splitting it.

Andrew

I've been using dynamis on a OO layout 18 x 26 ft with no real problems with it working. I am in process of changing out to nce though as am fed up with the wireless dropping out despite having 3 infrared units wired around the layout... It does work fine though, just irritating ( there are a few other things getting on my goat like the loco roster and direction controls...)

M

I've been using dynamis on a OO layout 18 x 26 ft with no real problems with it working. I am in process of changing out to nce though as am fed up with the wireless dropping out despite having 3 infrared units wired around the layout... It does work fine though, just irritating ( there are a few other things getting on my goat like the loco roster and direction controls...)

M

Do you have the Pro Box? I might try to pick one of these up cheap if Dynamis is being replaced soon.

Oddly enough I had a short running session on Thursday and things were much improved.

@Andrew - no the bus is two "legs" but the track itself forms a ring. Some of the wiring is temporary as I want to run it along some elevated sections which aren't built yet.

Do you have the Pro Box? I might try to pick one of these up cheap if Dynamis is being replaced soon.

i do have a probox (you need to to have more than 1 infrared receiver). The probox adds a bit in terms of programming capability too. I am looking to dispose of my probox and infrared units if you're interested. Drop me a pm if so and we can discuss.

M

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, thought I should give an update.

I set up a small test circuit, plugged the Dynamis in to that and tested all three locomotives (2x Farish 47, 1x Dapol 67 with Bachmann 6 pin decoders) and there were no issues apparent, I could run all three round it reliably at a very low speed setting. From this I concluded that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the equipment I have (also tried with fluorescent lights on/off!).

However, on the layout it is a different story, but very variable. Sometimes they run well, sometimes stall and stop for no reason. I think there are a number of issues which aren't easily fixable plus, in all honesty, I wasn't too happy with some of the current track plan.

So...I have lifted all track and have also reconfigured the baseboards to a "U" - am sick of banging my head getting in to the well! - and will re-lay to a new plan. I will be soldering to the rail directly not to joiners and having a much simpler power distribution scheme. I'll also - sometime in the New Year when funds allow - be investing in a new dcc system - probably Lenz -rather than further investing in Dynamis.

Cheers

sse

Archived