Southern Way

Astonishing that this publication (from Kevin Robertson through his Noodle imprint) is now up to issue no 8, so nine issues to date including the almost inevitable preview issue, in what seems like no time at all.

Along with publications such as Midland Record, this is somewhere between a magazine and a book, and always has something of interest for the SR aficionado - whether text or pictorial. Often the articles act as tasters for books from the same publisher, such as the feature on the Woking Homes railwaymans' orphanage in this issue. For me I was pleasantly surprised to see a feature on my old local station St Johns in south east London - and there was me thinking I was the only one to know much about it beyond the 1957 disaster that occurred there (and see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5463 for some background). Speaking to Kevin at Scaleforum it seems there is no shortage of new material coming in, some very esoteric and some more mainstream. No doubt I will continue to find more room in my library for all of them.

Other articles this issue include

Oakley (near Basingstoke)

Old photographs of Brighton

Life at Southampton TSO Pt2

1939 chalk fall at Shakespeare Cliff

The Southern Railway from inception to nationalisation Pt2

Recollections of the ACE

Permanent way renewal at Paddock Wood

Memories of Tunbridge Wells West

If you're a Southern fan (or even if not) and you haven't seen these yet, check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, the Southern Way is always a good read.

I was particularly taken by the gas lamps in the Tunbridge Well West article.

The article about the Woking Homes Railwayman's Orphanage is also available separately, as a fundraiser.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 3 months later...

Southern Way 9 is now out.

Almost worth it for the glorious photo in the frontispiece of Folkestone Harbour station in the 1920s - all sharp curves, boarding and lower quadrant semaphores. 'Real Atmosphere' as MRJ would have had it.

Feature articles on the LBSC C2/C2X, Part 3 of Basingstoke, Part 2 of Lancing Carriage Works, Dorchester, a fascinating speculation on the use by the SR of Deltics for the Southampton Ocean Liner trains, and the evolution of track design.

Minor articles/photo spreads on the Waterloo & City, Edwardian scenes on the IoW and LSWR, Bideford bridge widening, staff uniforms in 1948, and notes from a Waterloo commuter and the smaller locomotive sheds.

Kevin Robertson seems to have tapped into a limitless supply of articles for this publication, long may it continue.

• 1 year later...

Archived