HAZELTOWN B.C.

BRIAN T

HAZELTOWN B.C. A rescued Canadian Project

by BEN TRUCK

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:48 pm

The Truth

After 2 trips to western Canada in the last 4 years ( prior to this, not even interested in anything not British Rail/British Railways) and since then falling in love with anything CP/CN/BCR/VIA i amassed a large quantity of Canadian HO stock all mixed up periods /stock/ liveries /quality........you getting my drift? .......sounding familiar? and planning to run them on a tiny shelf layout . icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif stop stop stop.

Earlier this year whilst still working on my "Ranson Bridge" layout to try and finish it off , I realised that the Canadian dream must come to a halt (credit crunch and everything) and decided to part ex the lot to fund more sound for "Ranson".

Well i got as far as getting rid of 50 % of it until withdrawl symptoms set in , did i need that much sound on Ranson Bridge , new British models were slow getting on the scene , i know I'll build a small Canadian shelf layout , ive still got some locos and grain cars left and some plywood and so.......

"HAZELTOWN" was born.

The Fiction

HAZELTOWN is the location for United Grain and farm feeds facility with the nearby sugar refining centre .it sits in the foothills of the Rockies which you can see in the distance beyond the Sugar refining centreon the east entrance to the yard.

Just beyond the yard between the 2 facilities you can see another Grain silo and an old grainlift building long out of use.

It was once part of the main line carrying freight and passenger traffic ,but is now only a stub end and is visited infrequently by a BUDD RDC unit which deposits its passengers at the loading dock.

The loading dock tries to handle anything that will fit into a box car,the depot shed at the rear of the dock has long been closed ,wheel stops have been provided ,no cars wil be entering there again.

HAZELTOWN is not that far from a large busy freight handling yard, and often has overspill locomotives temporarily stabled there either in the loading dock spur or in the siding adjacent to the grain unloading shed .

You will see motive power examples from CP,CN,BCR and occasionally BNSF

The layout is approx 56" x 16" scenic and a small 4ft long narrow fiddle yard enough to take one large loco and 3 grain cars and provides the runaround off scene when switching.

The layout has been built to view at eye level and there is plenty more to do especially ground scenics and detailing

Please see attached photos which will give you hopefully my impression of Offshore railroading .

My knowledge of Canadian railroad practice leaves much to be desired i know i've got loads of weathering to do ,Please let me know what you think , icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

regards

Brian

Comment posted by Birdseyecircus on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Fantastic! icon_clap.gif I love minimal space US/Canadian!

Paul

Comment posted by shortliner on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Is the background a "Home done" job? if not - who is it from - most effective! - Nice layout too

.....and the perrenial cry, " Can we have a trackplan?" please!

Comment posted by wsor4490uk on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:16 pm

I like this icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

shortliner wrote:

Is the background a "Home done" job? if not - who is it from - most effective! - Nice layout too

.....and the perrenial cry, " Can we have a trackplan?" please!

Hi yes the background is a "Home Done" job because the layout is so shallow ,rather than bought backscenes which are very detailed , i thought i would have a go myself with some sample emulsion pots light greens browns and greys , they dried niceley and faded in as well , it looks ok to me,and doesn't draw your eye to it and away from the main scene .

track plan .....not sure how to do one yet , ill draw it out and scan in i think

regards

Brian

Comment posted by shortliner on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 pm

You obviously have more artistic skill than I do! Well done!

Comment posted by Dutch_Master on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Well done indeed!

??? posted on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 pm

shortliner wrote:

You obviously have more artistic skill than I do! Well done!

you wont think so when you see my trackplan icon_biggrin.gif

very cobbled i think

cheers

Brian

Comment posted by shortliner on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks for that Brian - very interesting

Comment posted by peach james on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:14 pm

As one of the BC residents on the forum, I have to say well done. There are some areas which have interesting history of interrelated railway operation here, mostly in the Vancouver area. Once you leave the fraser valley, it tends to be one railway/community...although a fair # were served by 2 at one time, the 2nd one tended to have lost by the 1920's or so...with some bits straggling on now. Trackage rights are fairly common for NA operations, where one railway is running over another railways trackage, because of the way which the railways were regulated.

I would have placed a small model of Canadian/BC op's into Vancouver, since that gives the best mix of possibilities. BN, CP, CN, BCR all converge in Vancouver, and if you have a Hunslet shunter, you can add that to the mix. (3 of them at Pacific Terminals). The backscreening you have done is generic enough to move the location to fairly near anywhere in BC.

The only BUDD cars still running are the 3 here on the island- BCR (CN) has discontinued all passenger service with the exception of the Reservation Bus...which is what it sounds like, a bus converted to run on the rails. (think sprinter, but even more uncomfortable...imagine riding a sprinter at -40...)

The microbus should go- there are a fair # of VW vans kicking around here (Sooke, on the island), but I can't remember seeing a microbus...so, I would take it they were never very common here. If you are aiming for current scene, a Delica van with surfboards on the top would be the current replacement...same sort of thing for the tow truck, it would appear "old" in relation to the rest of the scene, which I would place as early 90's.

Still, a very atmospheric environment to get your Canadian fix in icon_smile.gif

James Powell

Comment posted by doctor quinn on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Brian, nice layout I particularly like the very low key backscene.The BN presence put me in mind of the BN (former Great Northern) lines in Manitoba.

Nick

??? posted on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

peach james wrote:

As one of the BC residents on the forum, I have to say well done. There are some areas which have interesting history of interrelated railway operation here, mostly in the Vancouver area. Once you leave the fraser valley, it tends to be one railway/community...although a fair # were served by 2 at one time, the 2nd one tended to have lost by the 1920's or so...with some bits straggling on now. Trackage rights are fairly common for NA operations, where one railway is running over another railways trackage, because of the way which the railways were regulated.

I would have placed a small model of Canadian/BC op's into Vancouver, since that gives the best mix of possibilities. BN, CP, CN, BCR all converge in Vancouver, and if you have a Hunslet shunter, you can add that to the mix. (3 of them at Pacific Terminals). The backscreening you have done is generic enough to move the location to fairly near anywhere in BC.

The only BUDD cars still running are the 3 here on the island- BCR (CN) has discontinued all passenger service with the exception of the Reservation Bus...which is what it sounds like, a bus converted to run on the rails. (think sprinter, but even more uncomfortable...imagine riding a sprinter at -40...)

The microbus should go- there are a fair # of VW vans kicking around here (Sooke, on the island), but I can't remember seeing a microbus...so, I would take it they were never very common here. If you are aiming for current scene, a Delica van with surfboards on the top would be the current replacement...same sort of thing for the tow truck, it would appear "old" in relation to the rest of the scene, which I would place as early 90's.

Still, a very atmospheric environment to get your Canadian fix in
icon_smile.gif

Wow ...thanks James

I feel quite complimented by your reply and its been very helpful, i was thinking of the Vancouver area which i visited twice in 2005 and 2008 (Waterfront yard and North Vancouver yard taking loads of photos from the LionsGate bridge ) , i also went to the island (went whale watching in alert Bay ,Cormorant Island),and photographed the Budds .Also took in Jasper and Banff and got toatally drawn in by the railroad scene.

The layout and backscene i agree is very generic,i also agree about the vehicles , the so called HO scale vehicles all seem to vary in sizes some look like N scale , the tow truck and the VW are (now ) temporary and look huge against the other vehicles at the backscene , things may have to change !!

James Powell

thanks again james for your time and help ,i will take heed

regards

Brian

??? posted on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

doctor quinn wrote:

Hi Brian, nice layout I particularly like the very low key backscene.The BN presence put me in mind of the BN (former Great Northern) lines in Manitoba.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Still ponderinng over your info regarding canadianising my GP38-2

thanks

Brian

Here are the previously uploaded images from old RMweb

post-7300-1256053182529_thumb.jpgpost-7300-12560532834297_thumb.jpgpost-7300-12560532870304_thumb.jpgpost-7300-12560534610221_thumb.jpgpost-7300-12560535152105_thumb.jpg general2.jpg]post-7300-12560535632788_thumb.jpgpost-7300-12560535945019_thumb.jpg]

post-7300-12560535429793_thumb.jpg

post-7300-12560536376166_thumb.jpg

post-7300-12560539792439_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Where did you get the big red barn from? (9005)

Hi Andrew

I bought the "RED BARN" 9005 and the BC Rail DASH 9-44W 4644 from CPA enterprises which is an "E-Bay shop located in Canada , they were ready built and cost me a bit I can tell you .

Unfortunately they do not make up the kits any more but still sell resin parts etc

thanks

Brian

Well done Brian, nice work.

The scenery is particularly well detailed.

I'm very interested in the way you model the evergreen trees because I have a couple of "prototypes" that look exactly the same just in front of my apartment here in Montr?©al .

They should make a nice addition to my N scale Canadian brewery micro-layout Canadian brewery micro-layout

Are they made out of stranded wires ?

Jacques

Well done Brian, nice work.

The scenery is particularly well detailed.

I'm very interested in the way you model the evergreen trees because I have a couple of "prototypes" that look exactly the same just in front of my apartment here in Montr?©al .

They should make a nice addition to my N scale Canadian brewery micro-layout Canadian brewery micro-layout

Are they made out of stranded wires ?

Jacques

HI Jacques

thanks for the comments especialy from Canada.

The trees are actually ready made available from the "Hornby" Scale Scenes Range ,i dont know if they are avilable to you there , they come in boxes of 3 trees ....I think,but they look pretty convincing , and yes they are made fo stranded wire

regards

Brian

HI Jacques

thanks for the comments especialy from Canada.

The trees are actually ready made available from the "Hornby" Scale Scenes Range ,i dont know if they are avilable to you there , they come in boxes of 3 trees ....I think,but they look pretty convincing , and yes they are made fo stranded wire

regards

Brian

Thank you Brian for the information.

Hornby dealers ( stockists as our British friends would say :) ) are quite rare here in Canada , the Hornby website lists only 1 .

Just to make your mouth water, here are 2 pictures I took almost in my backyard ( 100 meters down the road ).

Jacques

gallery_4563_284_44164.jpg

gallery_4563_284_312815.jpg

Jacques...for Hornby and other UK products in Canada you can try these dealers, the first 2 are in BC, the others are in Ontario, I've done business with all of them and they are all good.

http://www.bsmcl.com/

http://www.britanniamodels.com/

http://www.execulink.com/~britishconnect/products.htm

http://www.brianbaldwinbjb.com/

http://www.britishmodeltrains.ca/ BRITISH TRAINS (905-319-6207),

Tony Potter, 3289 Woodcroft Crescent, Burlington, Ontario, L7M 3K9

FAX: 905-319-6213

Cheers

Gene

Jacques...for Hornby and other UK products in Canada you can try these dealers, the first 2 are in BC, the others are in Ontario, I've done business with all of them and they are all good.

http://www.bsmcl.com/

http://www.britanniamodels.com/

http://www.execulink.com/~britishconnect/products.htm

http://www.brianbaldwinbjb.com/

http://www.britishmodeltrains.ca/ BRITISH TRAINS (905-319-6207),

Tony Potter, 3289 Woodcroft Crescent, Burlington, Ontario, L7M 3K9

FAX: 905-319-6213

Cheers

Gene

I think Brian Baldwin is getting out of the game. I saw him at a recent show and his stuff was marked down pretty good!

Its not too early to start plugging the Great Brtish Train Show 2010 edition. Its only a few hours down the road from Montreal in Brampton ! ;)

Andrew H

I think Brian Baldwin is getting out of the game. I saw him at a recent show and his stuff was marked down pretty good!

Its not too early to start plugging the Great Brtish Train Show 2010 edition. Its only a few hours down the road from Montreal in Brampton ! ;)

Andrew H

Yes Andrew..we of the Montreal british club will be there. :lol:

Thank you Brian for the information.

Hornby dealers ( stockists as our British friends would say :) ) are quite rare here in Canada , the Hornby website lists only 1 .

Just to make your mouth water, here are 2 pictures I took almost in my backyard ( 100 meters down the road ).

Jacques

gallery_4563_284_44164.jpg

gallery_4563_284_312815.jpg

Lovely stuff Jacques

thanks

Very fond of BC rail , have seen a couple of them on previous visits to Jasper and North Vancouver,

I will post some more shots of HAZELTOWN hopefuly in the next week

post-7300-12569265486513_thumb.jpg

regards

Brian

post-7300-12569268347732_thumb.jpg

Thank you Gene, BR60103 ( David ? ) and Andrew for taking some of your valuable time to reply.

I checked the suggested links but none of the mentioned stockists sells the skalescenics range.

No problem, I'll order the trees directly from the UK. I'm used to buy online from the UK anyway, that's how I get my Scalextric slot racing cars and my footie Subbuteo little players

Nice picture Brian , keep on posting.

I'm modeling in N scale and as far as I know there is no 1/160 BC Rail engine or rolling stock available.

The paint scheme is not too complicated and I even found a link to a very interesting article:

N scale BC Rail engine

Jacques

Nice picture Brian , keep on posting.

I'm modeling in N scale and as far as I know there is no 1/160 BC Rail engine or rolling stock available.

The paint scheme is not too complicated and I even found a link to a very interesting article:

N scale BC Rail engine

Jacques

not true from atlas

Dash 8-40B

http://www.modeltrains.com/WEB%20-%20CMT/Atlas/Atlas%20-%20N-scale/atlas-n-bc-rail.htm

nice runner I have owned one in the past

Jacques,

I deal with Britannia Models out here, they are the "official" importer for North America. They have a decent stock, but not a giant selection in stock. (not like Hattons...). I have found that for larger orders, and for Bachmann in particular, it is just as well to internet order from the UK as it is to order from here. I deal with Britannia because John and Vivian are great people to deal with. They are very helpful, in the same way that David & Pat of The British Connection are. I never took a likening to Madge, of MRI, although I bought some Thomas the Tank Engine stuff from him.

Britannia carries Scalescenes, that much I know, since I was in the store for the first time 2 weekends ago. I live on Vancouver Island, so are 2+ hours from the storefront- and that is the closest model railway store to me now...

And yes, I am wondering about GBTS 2010. Not sure though, since my 2nd child is due in early April.

James Powell

These pics look great!

I mainly run BR steam-era stock (Somerset & Dorset) and occasionally LNER/LMS.

I also have a collection of Canadian steam-era stock, mainly CNR, which I occasionally run.

I've built two 00 layouts so far but wouldn't mind trying my hand at a Canadian one sometime, possibly an area in or near Toronto in the 1950s.

Rob (in Toronto)

Thank you Warren, James and Rob for taking some of your valuable time to reply. Now I have no excuse for not including BC Rail engines in my roster.

Pacific Western Rail Systems have the Atlas C420 in stock plus some cu$tom painted ( CDN $ 230.00 ) models.

Jacques

Brian, do you have an overview picture or a complete track plan you could post ?

I like the grain silos painted on the background.

On the 7th picture ( from the top ) there are 2 competitors ( CN/BCR CPR ) engines a few feet apart. Could it happen in real life ? unless you are modeling a CP CR interchange.

Jacques

Brian, do you have an overview picture or a complete track plan you could post ?

I like the grain silos painted on the background.

On the 7th picture ( from the top ) there are 2 competitors ( CN/BCR CPR ) engines a few feet apart. Could it happen in real life ? unless you are modeling a CP CR interchange.

Jacques

It is quite common to see different companies intermixed and in the same AO (Area of Operation). Here in Vancouver, Washington, we have UP and BNSF, rolling though here with Amtrak, then mixed in with UP you will see CP, and some times with BNSF I seen NS, CN, KCS, Ferrormex (a mexican one), oakway lease, FURX, it goes on and on, once even saw a soo line.

I am no expert, my guess in real life, you would see a different roster in scene like this one, Road switches would be common, CP and CN still used GP9's, but I am no expert on Canadian rails.

Archived