HAZELTOWN B.C.

BRIAN T

It is quite common to see different companies intermixed and in the same AO (Area of Operation). Here in Vancouver, Washington, we have UP and BNSF, rolling though here with Amtrak, then mixed in with UP you will see CP, and some times with BNSF I seen NS, CN, KCS, Ferrormex (a mexican one), oakway lease, FURX, it goes on and on, once even saw a soo line.

I am no expert, my guess in real life, you would see a different roster in scene like this one, Road switches would be common, CP and CN still used GP9's, but I am no expert on Canadian rails.

I'm not an expert on Canadian rails either ( I was born in Belgium ) my guess is that it is quite common to see different companies intermixed and in the same AO because in the US there is a bazillion of railroads while Canada has basically 2.

Another strange ( at least to me ) fact is that for example the Grand Trunk was absorbed by the CN and I've never seen a single GT engine here in Montreal while there are plenty of pictures of GT engines in the States ???

Jacques

I'm not an expert on Canadian rails either ( I was born in Belgium ) my guess is that it is quite common to see different companies intermixed and in the same AO because in the US there is a bazillion of railroads while Canada has basically 2.

Another strange ( at least to me ) fact is that for example the Grand Trunk was absorbed by the CN and I've never seen a single GT engine here in Montreal while there are plenty of pictures of GT engines in the States ???

Jacques

I know BNSF operates across the border around Vancouver, BC. There are some small short lines in Canada, I think.

BNSF operates (operated?) some former Great Northern line in Manitoba. GT (which included CV & DWP) was originally CN's US subsidiary, whilst I'm not sure about the Western lines, on Central Vermont international trains were handled by CN power to and from Montreal. I guess the best bet to see GT power in Montreal would be train to or from Detroit.

At one time Canadian locos operating into the US and vice versa where subject to tax, so the railways assigned particular locos to international duties, and set up "local" subsidiaries to reduce their tax liability.

Nick

Brian, do you have an overview picture or a complete track plan you could post ?

I like the grain silos painted on the background.

On the 7th picture ( from the top ) there are 2 competitors ( CN/BCR CPR ) engines a few feet apart. Could it happen in real life ? unless you are modeling a CP CR interchange.

Jacques

Hi Jacques

I have attached a very rough trackplan

post-7300-12571079738464_thumb.jpg

and also a distant shot of North Vancouver yard with locos of BCR/CN and CP all hanging out together so to speak

post-7300-12571080966057_thumb.jpg

cheers

Brian

On the 7th picture ( from the top ) there are 2 competitors ( CN/BCR CPR ) engines a few feet apart. Could it happen in real life ? unless you are modeling a CP CR interchange.

Jacques, that is not uncommon here in BC. For over a decade, CN and CP have had a 'bidirectional running zone' in the Fraser Canyon, between Mission and Kamloops, where the CN track is used for westbounds of both companies, and the CP track for all eastbounds. Since then, it??™s been extended, and it??™s possible to see CP and CN trains on the tracks of the other company all the way down to New Westminster (Sapperton) at least. And at Sapperton itself, the CP New Westminster branch is right alongside the BNSF line running from the US border to Vancouver. So you can see BNSF, CN (and BCR), CP, VIA and Amtrak trains right beside each other. Added to that, you occasionally get some unusual US locos either running through or paying off horsepower hours owed to BNSF ??“ I??™ve seen CSX, NS, UP, Soo and even TFM.

So there??™s lots of prototype justification for mixing CN/BCR and CP road power, not just switchers.

• RMweb Premium

Jacques: The GT used to have through passenger trains all the way to Toronto. I don't know if any went through to Montreal.

CN used the American road names to reduce worry about a takeover from the north, so most of the power stayed south of the border. I think there are also customs issues, with only certain locos allowed across.

CN and CP seem to come together in Vancouver and run parallel or share tracksall the way up to the Fraser canyon. BC Rail comes down and meets with them in Vancouver (now owned by CN so...) but this was mainly an end-on meet, so probably nothing past Vancouver.

Jacques,

<snipped> I never took a likening to Madge, of MRI, although I bought some Thomas the Tank Engine stuff from him.

James Powell

Madge died a couple of years back and his wife sold on the stock and name so MRI is under new ownership and is run out of St Catharines by Steve and Elvera Ciazynski. As mentioned MRI and all (most) of the other British dealers will be at GBTS

Cheers,

David

The Grand Trunk along with a whole pile of lines including Grand Trunk Western, Intercolonial, Central Vermont & Canadian Northern and other near bankrupt lines were combined to make Canadian National back in the early '20s. The Grand Trunk name (and Central Vermont) was kept for running in the US for political reasons. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

David

I finally spotted the one thing on the Hazeltown that doesn't quite belong. The yellow skip next to the sugar plant. laugh.gif

This is the sort of thing you want. Canadian sized skip The English style skip just isn't used in Canada.

As for locos running on other roads. Its common when there is a shortage of motive power to 'borrow' from other roads. These loans are often paid back with a reciprocal loan. A friend back in Canada that works for CN figures they have around 30-50 locos 'missing' from their official rosters at any one time due to loans and power-hour pay backs. There are also instances where lines are closed and trains will be diverted, etc.

One thing that isn't that well known is due to radio frequency allocations until this year Canadian locos used a different set of radio frequencies for their locotrol. That meant you would never see a 'foreign' loco on the point or in a mid train formation. CP and UP got around this to an extent with a set of leased units from CEFX that had specially equipped dual frequency locotrol fitted. Not sure about CN but starting last May CP began the transition of all their units to be compatible with UP and BNSF. That means you will start to see more through running, especially in the west through Coutts and Kingsgate.

I finally spotted the one thing on the Hazeltown that doesn't quite belong. The yellow skip next to the sugar plant. laugh.gif

This is the sort of thing you want. Canadian sized skip The English style skip just isn't used in Canada.

As for locos running on other roads. Its common when there is a shortage of motive power to 'borrow' from other roads. These loans are often paid back with a reciprocal loan. A friend back in Canada that works for CN figures they have around 30-50 locos 'missing' from their official rosters at any one time due to loans and power-hour pay backs. There are also instances where lines are closed and trains will be diverted, etc.

One thing that isn't that well known is due to radio frequency allocations until this year Canadian locos used a different set of radio frequencies for their locotrol. That meant you would never see a 'foreign' loco on the point or in a mid train formation. CP and UP got around this to an extent with a set of leased units from CEFX that had specially equipped dual frequency locotrol fitted. Not sure about CN but starting last May CP began the transition of all their units to be compatible with UP and BNSF. That means you will start to see more through running, especially in the west through Coutts and Kingsgate.

Ah well the english style skip has been removed ,and the VW camper and the pickup, ill be demodelling the layout soon.......no....seriously ,thanks will populate with more appropriate transport soon, nice to see the discussion regarding mixed and matched motive power , im learning a lot too

post-7300-12571869830804_thumb.jpg

post-7300-12571870013727_thumb.jpg

Hopefully load up some photo updates at the end of the week

regards

Brian

And yes, I am wondering about GBTS 2010. Not sure though, since my 2nd child is due in early April.

James Powell

Good news !!! The show is actually the first weekend of May 2010! this time around!! May 1st and 2nd. New baby should be well settled in by then ! :rolleyes:

Andrew

Ah well the english style skip has been removed ,and the VW camper and the pickup, ill be demodelling the layout soon.......no....seriously ,thanks will populate with more appropriate transport soon, Brian

I'd keep the camper van. It suits the BC granola nibbling sandal wearing culture. biggrin.gif They don't call it Vangroovy for nothing. Seriously, my mum's next door neighbour in Saanich had one exactly like that in blue. Don't change too much, it really reminds me of parts of New Westminster or Port Coquitlam.

Alco, the RS10 and RS18 were limited Proto P1K editions commissioned by Hobbycraft Canada. At least that's what the certificate and stamping on the bottom of my pair says. Beautiful locos but a b*tch to install a decoder.

Is it just me or is this overseas modelling forum becoming a meeting place for Alco-holics.

Andrew, that is a nice RS-18, where did you get the loco plate.

I have to admit, I love being an alco-holic. All my loco purchases I got planed are mainly alcos.

The plate was one of a pair acquired by my dad when the locos were scrapped for spares at Ogden Shops in the 70s. In those days anything that wasn't taken home by workers ended up getting thrown out. The same was true when CP dropped the tuscan paint scheme. You could drive around Calgary and spot the CP employee's house. It was the one with tuscan trim, as they literally gave the paint away just to be rid of it. Sadly the other plate disappeared many years ago. I also have a pair of caboose lamps that were converted to 110vac that were given to him when he retired from CP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived