Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Vapourware....the pros & cons

Mornin' all,

I've been asked by friends who can't access this thread in 'Wheeltappers' to move it to here

Given the currently high number of 'announced' models, many of which are unlikely to ever see the light of day, whilst others are so far down the 'pecking order' that they're not worth considering...is it time to look at just who benefits from such announcements, who consistently makes such 'announcements' with little or nothing to suggest credibility and whether the modelling fraternity should be collectively suggesting that such manufacturers come back once they are sufficiently advanced in a project to give a firm date for such models to appear. Equally, should we be recognising manufacturers, who with little ceremony or fanfare, produce excellent models....which speak for themselves?

Dave 

It is an interesting statement you make in your remark 'Given the currently high number of 'announced' models, many of which are unlikely to ever see the light of day', it seems that most if not all of the current announcements of intent are from reputable companies/persons who do have a history of delivering. That delivery may not be to the original published timescale but do seen to get there in the end.

It would be interesting to hear to which announcement(s) you refer, where the statement of intent has not been delivered against.

Is it really worth bothering about? It's completely irrelevant to me. All the announcements in the world cost me nothing other than a bit of harmless frothing on here.

That doesn't mean to say I don't look forward to some of these proposed models appearing in the flesh. I'm not so cynical about them never appearing and I've no doubt that these announcements are made with the best of intentions.

Experience with most Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol model announcements is that they do appear eventually. How many models have they announced which have just 'disappeared'. They may be slow but they get there eventually. Oxford have a good track record with non railway releases, why doubt their ability to deliver the Adams Radial?

Okay, DJM have a lot on their plate and have yet to deliver in their own right, but DJ has experience with Dapol and two of the big retailers have enough faith in him to put their reputations on the line with him. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest that he won't deliver. Having said that, I do think that 2015 will be crucial to DJM in that two or three models under his wing are scheduled to appear then. If they do, that should silence the doubters, if they don't, well, that will not look so promising.

Now, some announced models may not appear owing to duplication and, though no-one has blinked yet, that would be understandable.

Should some of theses models not appear because one of these companies goes to the wall, well, I might be short of another toy train but some people will have lost their jobs. Models not appearing, not really important is it?

Dave,

Given your comments elsewhere on the forum, this appears to be little more than a way of getting your views of the way Dave Jones runs his business to a wider audience.

The announcing of future models, usually before much in the way of development has taken place, is now the way most of the bigger players in this hobby choose to do things. Having a dig at the new company on the block isn't going to change how the industry works.

Whilst theirs no doubting the ability to deliver their is the issue of how much the market can support.

In OO we are awaiting, and excepting whatever Aus/Britrains announce:-

King x2, Hall, Modified Hall (new chassis), 1361 x2, 1366, 14xx/48xx/58xx, 47xx, 64xx, Railmotor, Streamlined Railcar.

Adams Radial x2(at least),E4 0-6-2T, Brighton Atlantic, O2 0-4-4T, 700 0-6-0, USA 0-6-0T

Ivatt 2-6-2T (new chassis), Stanier Mogul

C1, D16/3, J15, J94, K1, O2, Q6, V3(new chassis)

Crosti 2-10-0

Hudswell Clarke 24" 0-6-0ST, Rod driven Sentinel (presumably)

Bulleid 1Co-Co1, 04 (new chassis), 05, 24/1, 29, 41 Warship, 43 Warship, 59, 68, 71 x2, 73, 90, 116/117/118, 119/120 (hinted at but no formal announcement by Realtrack), 121, 122, 143, 150/1 & 150/2 (new chassis), 158, Park Royal Railbus, APT-E, Wickham Trolley, Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Evenin' all,

As a member of RM Web I wasn't aware until today that non-members can't read the 'wheeltappers' thread...hence the request to move/merge this thread in 'musings'. I note that there are now two seperate threads.

There have been several posts over time asking what happened to xxx etc etc, when models fail to appear, suddenly vanish from projected releases. I don't see this as a positive for the hobby and ask who actually benefits from such an approach? Also, I don't think that there would be much frothing going on if an anticipated wait in numbers of years was mentioned when an announcement was made.

My own preference is strongly in favour of reliable/quality models being released within sensible time of an announcement....unfortunately, the trend seems to be going the other way at the moment.

Dave

So you've moved it at the request of non members?!!

If they're that interested why don't they join?

Bizarre.

Anyway, still don't see why it bothers you so much though obviously it does. Just follow your own tag line about announcements without deadlines being meaningless and ignore them.

To me they're meaningless until they're delivered, I just don't fret over it.

Archived