RMweb

Flangeway Mermaid - Painted Samples

Summer_Saturday

The W-irons aren't Mermaid typical, but do look reasonably like the originals fitted to some, as can be seen on Paul Bartlett's page.

The only two on Paul Bartlett's site with that type w-iron are the two built for the GWR in the 30s. Its perhaps possible one or two BR ones gained some but very unlikely. The GW ones had Moreton brakes as well.

I had a feeling the chain would be overscale as it usually is although you make an interesting point about the prototype being round links, I hadn't noticed that.

I did wonder if these would be a quicker route to some than the Cambrian kit but the open nature of the underframe hasn't been attempted either so it may be easier for me to modify the kit. Interesting shot of just the underframe http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709401.html .

Not a bad effort though and it'll be interesting if he comes up with something else I may buy in future.

Ah yes. Hadn't spotted the brake difference.

I have seen some Cambrian mermaids made up, and being one of their later kits, they can be made to look very good. (And cheaper overall, even with Bill's units underneath, than the Flangeway RTR.) The lack of open framing on the RTR isn't too visible unless at short range. I'm trying to set up some topless Bill units in a Parkside hopper at the moment to preserve the open frame look - this is proving to be a bit tricky!

Btw, the clickable url for the Mermaid underframe only shot is: http://gallery6801.f...t/p9709401.html

Guest Max Stafford

I suppose that if the underframe is an issue for the modeller then the Cambrian option is still open. I did try to build one ten years ago, but it was an immensely fragile thing with an (ahem) challenging build! ;)

As has been said, the frame isn't too visible from normal viewing distances, so as a 'layout' wagon, this model will suit my needs fine for now. I will still marvel at the skills of the brave who 'roll their own' though! :)

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On a recent visit to the relocated BRM model railway exhibition at Doncaster, I decided to have a closer look at the range of ???Flangeway??? mermaid ballast wagons which have been reviewed in the model press.

I wondered over to their stand was at time of visiting was doing brisk business in snow ploughs.

I was taken by surprise on the quality of their small range of wagons I had purchased two.

post-6815-12661842353699_thumb.jpg

The two that I had brought are product numbers ME-1 and ME-2. There are two livers available at present all over BR Black (illustrated) and BR Dutch livery. In each livery there is a choice of running numbers that corresponds to the product number at time of purchase.

On closer inspection the models are very well detailed with very clear printing on the sides, on the ends of the wagon, there are the chains that are in place to open the side of the wagons, which is unique to these wagons in services for British Rail.

post-6815-12661849039078_thumb.jpg

I must admit they dose need toning down as they are a tad on the shiny side, but that should not be too much of a job do.

The under frame is highly detailed and looks as though it has been designed to take the rigours of the exhibition circuit. All the brake pull rods and hand brake levers are finely detailed and represented to a very high standard.

post-6815-1266184434622_thumb.jpg

post-6815-12661844449118_thumb.jpg

With each wagon you get a small bag which contains dummy 3 link couplings and what look like air brake pipes.

post-6815-12661844996538_thumb.jpg

There is a plus point tom these models they have NEM pocket couplers fitted, which are attached by a small and the is no drop as with other manufactures. The wagon is well weighted and runs very smoothly. The wheels have a plastic insert to represent the standard 3 hole wagon wheel.

The cost of the wagons is GBP,15.95 each, which I feel is a fair price to pay for the model, but taken in consideration most modellers may feel that is a bit on the steep side, inconsideration this is a complex model to moulded, and the level of detail it is good value.

To see further images and information please check out the web site.

As this manufacture hasn't had a mention I thought that it is time that they did and as one of the smaller manufactures that deserve recognition for a superb product.

My they have continued success in there ventures and develop more wagons of this quality and standard.

Thank you for looking.

post-6815-1266184680894_thumb.jpg

That picture of the underside shows the flaw in the hand brake levers on this model in that they have been modelled straight and so would be impossible to use to apply the brakes! They should be 3D to avoid the axleboxes as per most of the new stuff from Bachmann.

Andy's mods have improved the model a bit but it does still have a few major cockups such as those axleguards for the price.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Guest Austerity94

Hi folks,

This is potentially a bit off-thread, but last week I ordered 3 'Dutch' mermaids and an Eastfield plough; the guy at Flangeway was polite and helpful and the order was posted out that day. On receiving the models all was well and they looked the part although I had a query regarding an 'extra' piece that came with the plough, so I fired off an email to ask. Within a could of hours I had a reply that was both full and helpful (it was the later fitted item that breaks up the ice hanging from bridges etc).

All in all, a positive experience form a small manufacturer.

As usual, just to say I have no connections with the company other than as a satisfied customer.

Alex.

My mermaids arrived yesterday. Cracking models, well packaged. My only criticism is the fact they couple with the buffers about 8mm apart. This could easily be cured by fitting instanters or drilling another hole in the coupling pivot. I'm not too worried about the brass weight coveing the underframe detail.

• 1 year later...

I have obtained one of the Mermaid models in black with a view to using it on "Ashbury" my 18.83 -EM wheel standards layout built

by Martin Finney many years ago based on Ashburton but named "Shaftesbury" which I have dated in the very late 30s/early war years.

My reaction to the model was "thank goodness I don't want a fitted BR dia 1/575 or 1/573 as rebuilt from unfitted to fitted.

To convert to the original GWR owned batch (No known diagram !!) involves removing almost all the brake gear detail, only

leaving the Vees intact and adding pushrod (RCH 1923 style ) brakes to one side with morton type brake levers, possibly splicing into

the original levers above the axleboxes although the handle ends are not in the correct position. Buffers will be replaced and so will

the very overscale chain for which I have a stock of 40 links per inch chain. It may actually be better to replace the chain with very fine

twisted wire, two pieces of 0.2mm would probably do. The W irons are a real problem as they neither look like the GWR "W" type

or the BR Plate type and the spring shoes are very rudimentary.

The ballast weight, sitting into the top of the chassis, is a real disappointment, hiding the open chassis detail and unnecessarily lowering

it to allow it to sit down below the solebar level. Why on earth it was not recessed into the bottom of the body I do not understand as

that has been made much to deep. The floor of the body is in line with the the TOP of the body frame, lining up with the bottom of the

opening doors. If the floor were where it is modelled about 25% of the ballast would not slide out!! The fitted brakegear is seriously

incorrect from the undersized brakeshoes, they should be nearly twice the size, to the Vee hangers which should be offset by about

their full width towards one end. This means that all brake linkage, brake levers, vac cylinder etc ,etc are incorrectly positioned for a

dia 1/575 and looking at Paul Bartletts photos the rebuilds look to be similar. This has also resulted in one of the rail clamps being far

to long on one side, presumably it was spaced away from the Vee hanger by the correct amount but the Vee hanger was about 6mm to

far away in the first place.

Just to round off the main problems, the guides on which the body rolls/tilts are far to small. they should be deeper and/or protrude

further over the solebar according to photos. My sample also has a pronounced sag in the body whichI is unlikely to have been

found on the real thing and about which I doubt I can do anything.

The manufacturer has assured me they know these wagons well and that they have photos to indicate the model is correct but I have

not received them as yet. There are other niggles and I feel modifying a Cambrian kit would, even for the GWR or unfitted BR variant, be almost as much work as this model entails. Such a pity when most of the faults were avoidable and nothing to do with tooling or

production constraints. A

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi all Having read all the posts thoroughly ESPECIALLY that from the manufacturers in October 2009 it is quite clear where

some detail errors came in. They have used the Diagram 1/573 drawing to make a Dia 1/575 model and not checked whether

there are any differences. They have presumably assumed that when the early wagons were vacumm fitted that the upgrade was

done without moving the Vee hanger position or that the 1/575 wagons were built with the same Vee position as 1/573.

From Pauls photos it would appear the underframe was brought fully into line with the later design which differed

significantly to the original, itself only a minor reworking of the design used on the GWR. The technical design faults and

other errors are less explicable and it would be interesting to know if they originate with Flangeway or whoever did the

actual production. Although it appears Dapol produced the snowploughs I have not seen any mention of who made the Mermaids.

Have fun adrianbs

• 3 months later...

Hi Baby Deltic,  That's what I have been doing for 40 years but I don't wish to upset Cambrian who I know well and make a nice kit already.  I may make a

conversion kit  though to convert the Flangeway one to the GW or 573 version for those who need them but it may be that so much work is involved I

may just sell on my Flangeway ones to some modeller with much lower standards and make do with something different,.   adrianbs

• 5 years later...
On 20/03/2012 at 11:49, adrianbs said:

I have obtained one of the Mermaid models in black with a view to using it on "Ashbury" my 18.83 -EM wheel standards layout built

by Martin Finney many years ago based on Ashburton but named "Shaftesbury" which I have dated in the very late 30s/early war years.

My reaction to the model was "thank goodness I don't want a fitted BR dia 1/575 or 1/573 as rebuilt from unfitted to fitted.

To convert to the original GWR owned batch (No known diagram !!) involves removing almost all the brake gear detail, only

leaving the Vees intact and adding pushrod (RCH 1923 style ) brakes to one side with morton type brake levers, possibly splicing into

the original levers above the axleboxes although the handle ends are not in the correct position. Buffers will be replaced and so will

the very overscale chain for which I have a stock of 40 links per inch chain. It may actually be better to replace the chain with very fine

twisted wire, two pieces of 0.2mm would probably do. The W irons are a real problem as they neither look like the GWR "W" type

or the BR Plate type and the spring shoes are very rudimentary.

The ballast weight, sitting into the top of the chassis, is a real disappointment, hiding the open chassis detail and unnecessarily lowering

it to allow it to sit down below the solebar level. Why on earth it was not recessed into the bottom of the body I do not understand as

that has been made much to deep. The floor of the body is in line with the the TOP of the body frame, lining up with the bottom of the

opening doors. If the floor were where it is modelled about 25% of the ballast would not slide out!! The fitted brakegear is seriously

incorrect from the undersized brakeshoes, they should be nearly twice the size, to the Vee hangers which should be offset by about

their full width towards one end. This means that all brake linkage, brake levers, vac cylinder etc ,etc are incorrectly positioned for a

dia 1/575 and looking at Paul Bartletts photos the rebuilds look to be similar. This has also resulted in one of the rail clamps being far

to long on one side, presumably it was spaced away from the Vee hanger by the correct amount but the Vee hanger was about 6mm to

far away in the first place.

Just to round off the main problems, the guides on which the body rolls/tilts are far to small. they should be deeper and/or protrude

further over the solebar according to photos. My sample also has a pronounced sag in the body whichI is unlikely to have been

found on the real thing and about which I doubt I can do anything.

The manufacturer has assured me they know these wagons well and that they have photos to indicate the model is correct but I have

not received them as yet. There are other niggles and I feel modifying a Cambrian kit would, even for the GWR or unfitted BR variant, be almost as much work as this model entails. Such a pity when most of the faults were avoidable and nothing to do with tooling or

production constraints. A

Good grief.  Does it really matter?  Nobody else is going to notice.  Just a ridiculously over the top critique of a decent model.  If you want perfection by a 1:1 scale model....