Furness Railway D5 chassis

I have had a Millholme Models kit of the Furness Railway D5 0-6-0 for donkeys' years. The main thing that has stopped me completing it is fear of making a bodge of the chassis, such that it wouldn't run well. Inspired by Coachman's description of his successful fitting of a Bachmann C class chassis to a Craftsman ex L&Y class 27, elsewhere on this site, I wondered if anyone knows if there are any potentially suitable donor rtr chassis out there for the Furness 0-6-0? The driving wheels are 4'7" in diameter, with spacings of 7'9" and 7'9". I thought perhaps Bachmann jinty at first. The driving wheels are right, but at 8' and 8'6" the wheelbase is a tad long. Any better suggestions? Thanks.

John D

I have had a Millholme Models kit of the Furness Railway D5 0-6-0 for donkeys' years. The main thing that has stopped me completing it is fear of making a bodge of the chassis, such that it wouldn't run well. Inspired by Coachman's description of his successful fitting of a Bachmann C class chassis to a Craftsman ex L&Y class 27, elsewhere on this site, I wondered if anyone knows if there are any potentially suitable donor rtr chassis out there for the Furness 0-6-0? The driving wheels are 4'7" in diameter, with spacings of 7'9" and 7'9". I thought perhaps Bachmann jinty at first. The driving wheels are right, but at 8' and 8'6" the wheelbase is a tad long. Any better suggestions? Thanks.

John D

Postscript. Can anyone post driving wheel diameter an d spacings for the Bachmann Midland 1F?

Thanks.

John D

The Bachmann 1F would probably be your best bet, providing the body fits. It's 6" short in the wheelbase, but that's only about 2mm, and if you can live with a slight dimensional discrepancy, I say go for it. From what I've seen, they're really good runners too!

Many thanks for the info. Now to locate a donor 1F.

John D

Archived