Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Hawkinsfield Junction

Andy R

John -appreciate your advice as always. Nothing done on the layout for a week as other things take up time- and retirement is a 'relaxed busyness"!!

I have not forgotten the need to tone down weathering on the cattle dock.

Andy R

• Like 1

Hi Les- thanks for your kind feedback. How's your layout progress?

I was over in Hamilton last weekend working on our jointly owned Lymbridge Harbour 0 gauge layout- extending the dock scne and installing a rotating storage yard turntable thingy. I don't know whether you have ever seen that layout?

Anyway, cannot have been too far away from your home as the place I was staying and working was on the Raglan Road.

regards, Andy R

Hi Les- thanks for your kind feedback. How's your layout progress?

I was over in Hamilton last weekend working on our jointly owned Lymbridge Harbour 0 gauge layout- extending the dock scne and installing a rotating storage yard turntable thingy. I don't know whether you have ever seen that layout?

Anyway, cannot have been too far away from your home as the place I was staying and working was on the Raglan Road.

regards, Andy R

Hi Andy, not much progress of late, too many other distractions at the moment. Started on platform tops & a station building so will post some pics on my thread later.

I've seen Lymbridge a few times now, it's a nice layout.

We're actually not too far from the Raglan road, about 10 minutes south of Whatawhata on state hwy 39.

Cheers, Les

To Les- I seem to be in that way with this layout just now- other things distracting my energy and time. But, as we have observed before the project is a long term game...at least at present that's the philosophy.

I will be looking at that factory design at end of goods siding now as I would like to finish this small cameo area off.

Anyway, lets keep moving slowly forward and enjoy the creative experience.

To John Flann- I have just been flicking through a publication called "Modelling the GWR" by Chris Ellis and in there in the layouts pages is a plan and photo of one Dunnock Edge  by John Flann, being described as..." a good example of a fictional branch line with an authentic style and traffic..."

That's nice John and I wonder whether that was the first, second or which number layout?

Andy R

• Like 2

Andy, thanks for those kind words and trip down memory lane. That is quite an informative book by Chris Eliis and it made me go and look out my copy-and cudgel my memory..

It was the second layout called "Dunnock Edge", the first was featured in MRC 1/67, then came Poppy Hollow and Barley Dean , MRN 1/69, 2/69 and 2/70 and maybe Little Hintock in MR 6/72. Owlcombe, MT 6/80 and the one to which you refer and if I've got it right. would then have been my fifth. Incidentally Poppy Hollow I see was mentioned on the preceding page-although I note on Edit I didn't get the credit for it.-but it's my Poppy Hollow for sure.

. All good little layouts with a lot to commend them for and for all manner of reasons.

Interestingly too one particular building on Owlcombe now is on my current Hintock, and that is Giles Comben's emporium in Station Yard. It's long lived and far traveled. 

Edited by john flann
  • Like 2

Hi Andy, That man John gets around you know, hahhah.

Anyway just had another catch up, its looking really good, well done so far. 

I cant wait to start my BLT, what with yourself, John, Jim, (Aberdare / Hemyock) and Nick Woods, (Nickwood / Much Markle) its all so inspiring.

• Like 2

Andy P- yes that John Flann is a very experienced modeller so I am always delighted to get comment from John on my meagre efforts.

Thanks for your kind comments on Hawkinsfield.

regards Andy R

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted for a while as I have been diverted into helping a friend restore/upgrade my former GWR layout exhibition he purchased from me recently. It needed some TLC in its new home.

I have started on the proposed agricultural feed and grain type warehouse at the end of Hawkinsfield goods yard, to be feed from the end of the second rail siding via large doors into an internal loading bay. The idea is to generate another source of traffic. That's the plan anyway...

The photos show the intended site (cleared by taking away some of the hillside along the rear backscene) and the technique of using a suitable photocopy to provide the basis of the building scale and form glued to 2mm picture frame card and cut out as appropriate. Slaters plasticard then glued on which will be painted and weathered after window details applied etc...etc... A retining wall will be built to the right side of the building implying he site was excavated from the original bank behind.

It may be that the building size is too large for this back area site, relative to the goods shed, in which case I may need to downsize the building...food for thought once built.

Thanks, Andy R

post-22779-0-62924400-1436088953_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-70419600-1436089060_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-16058800-1436089095_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A neat idea Andy, it's difficult to tell at this stage how well it will fit in to the scene. Only you can decide that. Look forward to the next few posts.

With my buildings I start with the windows, as it seems to me if they aren't of the "right" character, neither is the finished appearance..

As always John I really appreciate your feedback. I find your buildings very convincing and I have to be honest- I have been looking at Hintock photos several times to get a sense of building scale, shape etc along your backscene as help for me. I am sure you don't mind!

You are right- the building needs to be further advanced to see the impact but I have already decided to 'break' up its lines with an extension further to the left (as we see it) at a lower height (maybe one-two storeys) to give balance to the bulk of the main building. A bit of trial and error I feel. I will mock up further using bluetac as a temporary holding material and play around with the shapes and scale a bit more. My aim here is to provide some relief from the green bank that wraps around the goods yard as well as further traffic/movement generation, but to compliment rather than dominate the existing goods shed.

Thanks John -Andy R

Thanks Andy, help yourself to any of my ideas.

I think you can see all my larger (and smaller) buildings have additions in various forms and that serve all sorts of ancillary purposes.

They break up the bulk and add interest to the shape. I get there by the trial and error method which, to my mind is the best way. They also have to live with their neighbours and fit in with the scene as a whole..

As ever my only rule is "does it look right"

Working through the slow/steady process of building the agricultural merchants building at rear of Hawkinsfield good yard in-between distractions of other things like a working bee on the jointly-owned ) gauge layout,  and flu which has caught up with me now in a cold snap..

Not totally happy yet with the building-will post photos when able to get down to layout room. In the meantime occasional running of layout of course to 'keep eye in'.

Attached photo shows morning stopper to Weymouth at Platform 2 and very quiet time in Platform1 as people arrive for the next train northward. View taken from under the Hawkinsfield Station approach road overbridge.

A breakdown crane and wagon has recently appeared on Hawkinsfield, obtained from a friend who has since passed away, but it (not him) needs further wheeling attention for smoother running and greater weight to improve running qualities. I also need to change the assigned location on the wagon -Ludlow from my UK geography knowledge is a long way from southern Dorset???

Regards, Andy R

post-22779-0-79805200-1436859890_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-42194100-1436860020_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Andy, nice photo having some atmosphere of those times past.

And no, Ludlow would not suit being somewhat far away from your locale. I don't think you could go far wrong in transferring the crane to Weymouth.

Thanks John -I was hoping you would reply with good advice...and you have. Appreciated and the renaming will be put on the job list!

Onward with the agricultural building and its location and bedding in and photos to come later after flu/ cold is beaten.

Regards, Andy R

Another recent photo at the engine shed and the painted Monty's loco crew. I like the figures purchased, they have more period character than some other ranges.

regards, Andy R

post-22779-0-89289800-1436916220_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

In post 109 above I showed the new site clearance of the further industrial warehouse at Hawkinsfield good yard, and a mock up of a possible warehouse building. Since then things have moved on and the building has been constructed and is now being bedded into its site and the surrounding area re-landscaped using the methods described in earlier posts on the topic.

The building has emerged as a lower scale 'background, three-quarter relief building' , because it is on a slight angle, at the end of the second siding in the yard. The photos attached show the building located in its position and the preliminary landscaping to 'bed' it in. The idea of the building is to provide a juxtaposition and counterpoint to the linear nature of the goods yard and indeed the whole of the station scene, by having another structure at 'right angles' to the main station composition.

The building is constructed of picture mounting card frame with a plasticard embossed dressed stone skin. Windows done with clear plastic and thin card for the frames. Nothing fancy...The platiscard skin is then white washed all over and the colours of the stone weathered with various layers and areas of coloured pencils -all blended in by finger to get soft shading. (I used the technique on the cattle dock and thought it had real merit). I hope the results speak for themselves. The building just needs to be given a name now.

The backscene embankment has been recreated to emerge from behind the building with card base, painted with my 'ground grunge' mix and then teased carpet felt glued on with PVA. When dry this will be trimmed and washed with suitable acrylic colours. The whole thing is now being blended into the existing ground just by texturing and paint washing. The photos show progress and some of the landscaping evolving.

regards, Andy R

post-22779-0-01409300-1438121347_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-66894200-1438121402_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-80743800-1438121482_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-08400300-1438121508_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

And another photo of the same scene with the carpet felt grass evolving between yard and rail tracks. To the left of this scene the landscape will be begin to change from the flat yard, as the railway goes over a valley via the yet to be constructed viaduct (see track plan). This viaduct scene is probably a long time off yet given my slow pace compared to some wizard modellers on this forum.

The next main task on Hawkinsfield is to change the storage yard sidings on the side opposite Hawkinsfield Junction station, to bring them forward in front of the planned branch terminus (again see track plan). I hope to add further storage tracks to each circuit at this time as the layout needs more storage holding capacity.

regards, Andy R

post-22779-0-25291100-1438121968_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A little more work on the warehouse locality and bedding it into its surroundings. Fence along yard boundary and trees, scrub, long grass vegetation added and coloured- the long grass (carpet felt) still needing a trim with scissors I note.

I am experimenting with seamoss tree material and need to look at other topics in the RM web to see how best to do these, as not quite nailed these yet. Sea moss approach is new to me- I have been using homemade materials on my trees to date and want to introduce some variety.

Warehouse named after my sister's surname for fun...she doesn't know yet -Mahon Merchants! Mr Mahon has just jumped off his bicycle, which he has leant against the corner of his little empire and is heading into the office...must be a wagon due any minute.

post-22779-0-27916500-1438227419_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-26589200-1438227527_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Andy

I have really enjoyed reading through your thread and seeing the development of your excellent layout. Great work on constructing your own turnouts and crossings and I particularly like your back-scenes and your latest cattle dock and warehouse projects. I will continue to follow developments with interest.

Cheers John

Hey thanks John -nice to hear from you.

Likewise me with watching your fab buildings/structures unfold. I love the bridge you have been showing by the way -nice work and I can learn from it- my main road bridge to station approach remains white foamboard skeleton (seen in some pictures) until I get around to putting slaters plasticard stone on it. I'm thinking that approach instead of the PVA/plaster mix on the road bridges at the junction end. The future viaduct will probably be slaters also rather than scribed plaster approach and will seek consistency with the two main bridges at this opposite end of the layout.

regards, Andy R

• Like 1

Your railway has just been brought to my attention by your post on Sweven's thread.  I have just had a very enjoyable time scanning through.

I may be biased as I am an out-and-out GWR/Wester Region man (inspired by my Father, who was a Western Region Civil Engineer, and having been brought up in the region myself) but regardless of setting it is absolutely lovely!  It all just seems to fit together so well, and you have provided some inspiration for some upgrades to bits of my railway which are complete, and things to ad to the unfinished sections...

John -I am humbled by your comments and support- many thanks for the positive feedback. Much appreciated. A little bit at a time on this project and it starts to unfold.

C and WR -likewise thanks for your positive feedback.

regards, Andy R

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks later since the last post and I have turned my attention to the revision of the storage yard area on the opposite side of the layout room from the junction station.

Members who have viewed the whole topic will note that on the layout plan posted some time ago I had indicated that the storage yard would be curved in front of the intended BL terminus, and that was fine in theory. But when I began to set it out in practice the resulting configuration and the sharpness of the curves etc... made me think twice on this and revert to Plan B......bringing the branch line over the top and back in front of the storage yard area to the terminus. I realise this is not 100% ideal as it means the storage yard will be behind and below (if that makes sense) the BLT and its backscene, but in the end compromise is required to keep the main line curve radii at a reasonable minimum (in this case 30 inches). I can still physically access the storage yard area from one end (the end with the pillar holding up the house!). I figure better than nothing. This design also allows me to have a longer terminus area  and be able to reach the terminus easier...so loose on the storage yard accessibility and gain on the BLT area overall.

The aim of this work is to squeeze another storage line so that each main line has 3 sidings each, and hence another train formation can be accommodated in this area compared to the present (and unhelpful) 3 and 2 combination that is did originally.

I have started reconstruction with the rear 3 sidings/lines running along the back of the area and now feed by two PECO code 75 curved points at each end, giving the 3 sidings/lines for this main line. I am currently turning my attention to the inside main line to get 3 more sidings/lines on it. The curved points will be changed by electric point motors- I have many PECO motors lying idle as well as a supply of old H and M's which might be used instead. A small control panel will be built to allow this control from a central point on that side of the layout.

All this new stuff is in contrast to the visible parts of the layout and its home-built points which are designed and built to be operated by manual, lever switching, using levers yet to be built. The BLT will also have manual lever point switching.= Another advantage of having the BLT designed and constructed forward of the storage yard area.

The two photos are just of general work in progress before and then during reconstruction of the rear main sidings/lines. The lower one is the original configuration and the upper one a start on the new rear configuration. Work continues...

regards, Andy R

post-22779-0-73066400-1440646809_thumb.jpg

post-22779-0-05085000-1440646830_thumb.jpg

• Like 3