Templot Help

Beatty 139

HI

I have been playing with Templot for a while and I am proficient with CAD but Templot has me beat, I have watched the tutorials etc but still no joy for me :nono: it might not be helped by my Dyslexic mind that is normally an advantage for me when it comes to design but its now letting me down badly.

I am trying to design a G1 industrial shunting railway in a minimum space, with lots of nasty industrial track work such as a curved 3 way interlaced turnout, 1 chain radius curves etc.

I was wondering if anyone local to the Black Country or Birmingham would be willing to let me have a couple of hour of their time to sit me down and work though the basics I must be missing, the excellent online tutorials just are not working for me, but then I am quite green when it comes to track work.

Many Thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The first thing to do is forget everything you learned for CAD. 2nd Templot is a fairly steep learning curve. It took me several months to get me 'ead round it, but perseverance eventually paid off. I would suggest that you don't try to Templot your all sing all dancing track plan, but concentrate on manipulatinv individal templates. Change crossing angles and switches, convert to plain track and altering the geometry of that, extend the plain track to form the spine of a track plan and the insert a turnout, then make a split and add a further turnout, make a simple cross over etc.

Make sure you have printed out the F chart, this makes a massive difference to you abilty to use Templot. Try the differences out on simple template(s).

There is shed loads of help and advice on the Templot Forum.

No connection with Martin only a very satisfied user, after a very dodgy start.

Happy Temploting.

Warning, it can be addictive.

If it will help, the first thing to do with Templot is forget all you have learned with layout building and using pieces of track that you join together.  The easiest way to get started is to make a straight piece of track.  It doesn't matter what gauge at this stage, but use the F3 key to lengthen it and F6 key to curve it.  Play around with those two functions to get a feel for it.

When your bored with that bit, save that piece of track and open up a new track template.  Plain track is always easier at this stage, but once open, use the F7 key to join it to the other piece.  You'll be amazed how good that feels….:-)

Save those two bits and open a third piece of plain track.  Use the F3 key to make it go across the page and the F6 key to curve it and then use the Template/Insert turnout command to insert a turnout into that piece of track.  You can use the F5 key to change the crossing angle and slide it along the track using the Ctrl and F9 key together...

That's enough for now.  If you're still up for it, ask some more...

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to design a G1 industrial shunting railway in a minimum space, with lots of nasty industrial track work such as a curved 3 way interlaced turnout, 1 chain radius curves etc.

I am quite green when it comes to track work.

Hi Andy,

This would appear to be a classic case of trying to run before you can walk. :)

You do need to know at least a little bit about track to get very far with Templot.

How about designing a simple passing station with a siding first? Allan Ferguson has written a simple beginners tutorial about doing that. It's here:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?getting_started_allan_ferguson.htm

You can do it in Gauge 1 if you wish. Click gauge> other gauges... menu item. Select 1F in the list.

Try following it through, repeating each operation -- it was made with an older version of Templot, but you should be able to find everything. Shout on the Templot Club forum ( http://85a.co.uk/forum/ ) if you get stuck.

Then have a go at a single-slip. I have recently made a new video tutorial for that in FBR format. You can find it here:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?add_slip_roads.htm

Templot isn't a CAD program, so knowing about CAD won't be much advantage, and may actually be a hindrance if you try to use it like CAD.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks for that advice, I have so far made quite a few parts individually and then ended up printing individual elements and gluing together, I think I am suffering with a CAD driven mind, normally I pick up most design based things quite quickly but this one is a challenge.

It's bound to keep my A0 plotter busy once I get my head around it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the words of advice after a week or working around the program I have worked a reasonable arrangement of trackwork that although quite condensed appears workable.

post-17012-0-85213600-1417984954_thumb.jpg

Still quite a lot of work to do the three way turnouts need designing properly, at least I want to go ahead with building the base boards over Christmas, and might make a start on the plain track and simple turnouts working in Code 180 stainless steel rail.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to take on a commission to finish off the design while I get on with the wood butchery for the base?

Archived