Hornby Thompson suburban coaches

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Brake 3rd (R4577A) today, and it is carmine red matching the ones released previously. I must admit I was under the impression that they were going to bring them out in maroon, but if so these are not they.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, coachmann. Yes, and to me it is carmine red, for it is too light to be maroon. I've placed the BT up against a Bachmann Mk1 TSO in maroon, and there is a definite difference in the two reds. I hope that this will be of help.

All the best,

Market65.

... I can go ahead now and make a purchase.

Hope you did, as thanks to this thread I have the lav compo down to 'limited stocks'. The lav compo is such an essential vehicle for the outer sub services out of KX. The very distinctive whited out oval bog windows in the vehicles in the middle of the set really stood out. Totally unworried about the colour match as the late steam operation was a mess of crimson (in various states) and maroon liveries at random.

Hope you did, as thanks to this thread I have the lav compo down to 'limited stocks'. The lav compo is such an essential vehicle for the outer sub services out of KX. The very distinctive whited out oval bog windows in the vehicles in the middle of the set really stood out. Totally unworried about the colour match as the late steam operation was a mess of crimson (in various states) and maroon liveries at random.

It matters to me with modelling the era before BR maroon. I can accept any variation on carmine light or dark but I don't want to have to respray any that are obviously the much darker maroon. Kernow considered the Hornby BR Thompsons are not carmine red nor maroon when compared to other Bachmann and Hornby coaches The nearest are the Bachmann crimson MK1 suburbans. They suggested I consult an expert on RMweb...

It matters to me with modelling the era before BR maroon. I can accept any variation on carmine light or dark but I don't want to have to respray any that are obviously the much darker maroon. Kernow considered the Hornby BR Thompsons are not carmine red nor maroon when compared to other Bachmann and Hornby coaches The nearest are the Bachmann crimson MK1 suburbans. They suggested I consult an expert on RMweb...

So what did you tell yourself, Coachmann?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

A quick photo for you, Coachmann.  Brake Third from current production (R4577A) coupled between a CL from the original run of these coaches, and a (quite old) Bachmann BR non gangwayed Third.  Photo taken under mainly electric room lighting, with some daylight.

If anything, I would say the livery of the Brake Third is very slightly less 'rich' (i.e. slightly more matt) than the previously produced coaches but only very slightly - with the underframe and roof weathered, it would give a good impression of a coach due a works visit.

post-31-0-14910200-1417344110.jpg

A quick photo for you, Coachmann.  Brake Third from current production (R4577A) coupled between a CL from the original run of these coaches, and a (quite old) Bachmann BR non gangwayed Third.  Photo taken under mainly electric room lighting, with some daylight.

Thanks, that red suits me fine as it is clearly not maroon.  I am sure the real things all started out the same colour and those of us around at the time will have their own memories of it. There were many non corridor coaches of various origins parked in Manchester Victoria's terminal platforms between rush hours and the carmine varied from freshly painted bright to a deeper shade that had an almost bronzed depth. For some reason the Thompson's seen in London Road Station always looked brighter.

My Brake 3rd arrived ,via Hattons and Yodel,today.  It took a while to extricate the plastic insert from the outer box (a very tight fit). Just 2 observations on the model so far. Set alongside my Hornby Gresley suburbans,the livery does have a flatter,"pinkier" appearance. (As has already been remarked on here,that sort of shading difference is something that we might even welcome) .On both RH and LH sides, the handrails around the Guard's doors haven't been fitted as carefully as they might, showing some distortion. They seem secure enough,however.  The box has a TEC sticker,btw.

The eventual aim is to form this Brake up with some of the forthcoming Bachmann corridors,as I'm attracted to the idea of running a mixed Corr./non-corr. rake. I believe that this was not uncommon. Meanwhile it will form up with the Gresleys,using Hornby/Roco close-couplers (1 of each). I find that gives just the right spacing to prevent buffer-lock on a double-slip curve.

DR

Actually,I've discovered today that the Thompson can be coupled up successfully to a Gresley using Roco 40270s on both coaches. The buffers touch,but negotiate the curved section of my Peco double-slip without any hint of locking.

And,for clarity, my previous posting should have referred to the forthcoming Bachmann Thompson corridors.

DR

• RMweb Premium

Actually,I've discovered today that the Thompson can be coupled up successfully to a Gresley using Roco 40270s on both coaches. The buffers touch,but negotiate the curved section of my Peco double-slip without any hint of locking.

And,for clarity, my previous posting should have referred to the forthcoming Bachmann Thompson corridors.

DR

I found the coupling pockets were mounted slightly further outboard on the Thompson non gangwayed coaches than on the Gresley equivalents.  Hence I found I could couple one Thompson coach to another using Roco couplings on each coach, but I couldn't quite get away with that with a Thompson coupled to a Gresley, and had to use a Hornby/Roco combination for that pairing (as I did for two Gresleys coupled).  My test may be slightly more taxing than yours however, as it involves being able to propel through a crossover formed of double slips.

The brake handrails are possibly very slightly distorted on mine too (as if the mouldings haven't been inserted fully into their holes?) but as you say, they seem to be securely attached and not bad enough to be worth worrying about.

Got me order in but it wasn't the lav/compo that was scarce....It was all-third. Funnily enough there is a shortage of all-thirds amongst the ones I have built and a surfeit of brake coaches..

That's interesting; I got the impression that the Brakes were scarcer when these coaches were originally released; consequently I've had to wait until now to get one!

Admittedly I hadn't really thought of an 'excuse' to run one then, but have now, having re-read the article by Steve Banks's in Model Rail April 2007 on secondary train formations and reminded myself that some GN Outer Suburban sets included these coaches (as well as CLs) in the early '60s!

Archived