Cleaning of needle files

Hi, whats the best way to clean needle files, specifically ones that have picked up solder, I've tried the tradtional copper scraper method but with limited results, are there better ways to clean them up ?.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Michael

I try to keep my best ones away from solder or whitemetal.

I use cheap Chinese files and scrapers to remove any excess solder and a really old set of files for whitemetal.

You may like to try using the edge of thin brass sheet along the direction of the cut - it sometimes helps.

Thanks guys, didn't think of brass sheet, copper is ok but a little too soft to be really effective. Scrapers, I thought I was the only one who used that trick, a sharpened screwdriver I find works pretty well. The obvious solution is to not spread so much solder all over the place :), hopefully the new tips on order will cure some of that.

Thanks for the advice, just wondered if there was some wonder solutiuon around, I'd heard of people heating them gently with a blow torch to get the solder to drip off, that seems a bit draconian to me.

Best

Michael

Scrapers, I thought I was the only one who used that trick, a sharpened screwdriver I find works pretty well.

Mine are a little more sophisticated than that - along with twisted and shaped files - invaluable.

scrapers.jpgScrapers

twist_files.jpgTwist Files

The obvious solution is to not spread so much solder all over the place

I would recommend using solder cream (it was recommended to me by Buckjumper through early days of RMWeb - I swapped and have never looked back. These days I only use solder chips (tiny snips off of wire) for seaming and big joins. It is so much more controllable and with a syringe dispenser you use so much less.

I'd heard of people heating them gently with a blow torch to get the solder to drip off, that seems a bit draconian to me.

I doubt it - usually makes metal softer, I would have thought it would take the edge off. But maybe wrong.

Mine are a little more sophisticated than that - along with twisted and shaped files - invaluable.

I would recommend using solder cream (it was recommended to me by Buckjumper through early days of RMWeb - I swapped and have never looked back. These days I only use solder chips (tiny snips off of wire) for seaming and big joins. It is so much more controllable and with a syringe dispenser you use so much less.

I doubt it - usually makes metal softer, I would have thought it would take the edge off. But maybe wrong.

Thats a nice collection of tools, never seen shaped files like that before and I've been in engineering for years (mind thats heavy engineering), you learn something new everyday :)., Yes my tools and methods are perhaps a little, how shall we say...simple LOL. I've been using paste too, probably applied too vigorously, I'll have to temper that when I get to the smaller pieces. I'll have to open a work bench and show some pictures...then run and hide.

The bottom two scrapers, do they have a wire brush on the end ?, that looks handy, a fibre brush just seems too soft for cleaning up the larger areas seen in 7mm, worked ok for 4mm but 7mm needs so much more of everything.

Best

Michael

The bottom two scrapers, do they have a wire brush on the end ?, that looks handy, a fibre brush just seems too soft for cleaning up the larger areas seen in 7mm, worked ok for 4mm but 7mm needs so much more of everything.

Yes but they are really too rough for brass - they leave scratches all over the place.

These are what I prefer for general clean-up - the brass equivalent of the glassfibre brush (same holder - same supplier - Squires)

wire_brushes.jpg

I also have the brass brush attachments to use in a Dremel - but they are far to aggressive for 4mm work and you have to be really messy to need to use them. I have been known to use wire wool (Brillo pad type) but it does disintegrate and get as bad as glass fibres.

The real trick is still not to have to use them in the first place. But you can't beat a glass-fibre pen for the final clean-up.

I have also used grit set in rubber (a bit like a Peco rubber) but can't remember its name - really only for polishing the brass prior to display ... sorry - mucking it up with paint :D

I use a piece of small section square hard brass for cleaning files, run it along the line of the teeth, i.e. across the width of the file, a few times and it will have grooves cut into it which will clean out the file teeth.

An old trick to stop soft metal clogging files is to lightly rub the teeth with chalk dust, though needle files may be too fine for this to work.

Like others here I recommend keeping a cheap set of files for whitemetal.

As to scrapers, for brass models they are the best tool for cleaning up soldered joints, I very seldom use files. You can make them from old hacksaw blades so they cost nothing. The usual mistake made when making scrapers is to have a point like a chisel. The faces should be square and honed so the corners are sharp.

Another point with files is never use files intended for brass to cut steel, once a file is used on steel it will never cut brass properly again.

Jeremy

Hi all,

You can keep files staying cleaner as well as having them perform in a finer/neater way, by rubbing them in with a piece of chalk, prior to using them.

This will get a kind of flim on them so that the material you're using it on will not stick so firmly onto them, and also, as it's less crude ( or finer ) in effect, it's easier to file and leave a smoother finish as usual.

Regards, Michel

Thanks guys, the chalk idea sounds brilliant, I was thinking that sometimes the cut was a little too harsh. Thanks for the tip on scraper form and shape, I thought they had to be chisel shaped, I'll try and knock some square edged ones tomorrow, there isn't too much white metal on these kits so that should not present too much of a problem, though I did make many 4mm white metal kits a long time ago and I never recall having the files clog up like they are now. I used to use a bit of squashed 15mm copper pipe and as noted above cleaned across the file, but it just did not seem to be working too well.

I just re-tried with a scrap of 10thou brass and it worked a treat, all but 2-3% is now gone, the last is so deep and ingrained it'll probably never come out, and being so deep, does not effect the cut at all.

Thanks to all, super ideas and tips.

Kindest

Michael

Use a Glass fiber brush to remove solder, I find it works for the thin coats....thicker lumps: stone an edge on a cheap Draper awl, and use that.

Cleaning any file: use a bit of aluminium, it soon takes the shape of the tooth pattern of the file, 'bit of a pain with cross cut [?] files, remember to scrape it twice, once in each direction...

Archived