The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hello ? Employment exchange ? Colchester signaller here - any jobs going ?

beast66606

Not quite sure what the problem is? The freight train is slowly trundling in to the loop to the right - you can see the pointwork for it just ahead, and the just extinguished feather for it above the train, as the signal of course has just been passed and reset by the train in motion. It does seem that the photographer left it to the last possible moment before the freight train moves to the right mind!

• RMweb Gold

Not quite sure what the problem is? The freight train is slowly trundling in to the loop to the right - you can see the pointwork for it just ahead, and the just extinguished feather for it above the train, as the signal of course has just been passed and reset by the train in motion. It does seem that the photographer left it to the last possible moment before the freight train moves to the right mind!

If there had actually been a problem I would have been on the phone to the emergency services - it was a bit of fun, perhaps I shouldn't have bothered.

This situation reminds me of a cartoon which featured in RailNews many years ago

attachicon.gifDAS_0365.jpg

(The 66/5 will branch to the right as we look of course)

You could sell that shot to the Daily Fail. I can imagine the headline... "Head on collision narrowly averted! Are our railways safe?" Etc etc...

• RMweb Gold

You could sell that shot to the Daily Fail. I can imagine the headline... "Head on collision narrowly averted! Are our railways safe?" Etc etc...

Don't forget the bit about the driver wrestling with the controls and swerving to avoid a collision...  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the bit about the driver wrestling with the controls and swerving to avoid a collision...  :jester:

...and that it's all the fault of the immigrants too. :)

If there had actually been a problem I would have been on the phone to the emergency services - it was a bit of fun, perhaps I shouldn't have bothered.

No!!! Keep 'em coming! You can't help that some people have had one of those humour bypass operations.....

...and that it's all the fault of the immigrants too. :)

And the lesbians, they'd be involved somewhere as well, possibly with a swipe at the EU or the Germans for good measure.  God help an immigrating East European Lesbian, they'll think the whole world is out to get them as soon as they enter the local papershop.

OK, I've read the small print...

but was was happening here?

Reminds me of a photo I took a few years ago on a branch line in North Wales, somewhat perturbed to see the signal as we pulled in...

attachicon.gif2011_08_146.jpg

Martin

Unless we're NOT actually looking out of a coach window as the train leaves a single-track section...

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of a photo I took a few years ago on a branch line in North Wales, somewhat perturbed to see the signal as we pulled in...

attachicon.gif2011_08_146.jpg

Martin

Double to single too - a very sharp signalman there methinks (in the absence of any other explanation), for me that merits a telling off on a model - on something with big trains and real people I would censored

19;48 on the following shows the track plan such as it is.

Double to single too - a very sharp signalman there methinks (in the absence of any other explanation), for me that merits a telling off on a model - on something with big trains and real people I would censored

Assuming the photographer is leaning out of the last droplight, rather than using a long lens from a trackside viewpoint, the tail of the train is definitely foul - the camera is to the right of the left rail of the other track.  Definite breach of the rules and probably counts as a near-miss. 

• RMweb Gold

Double to single too - a very sharp signalman there methinks (in the absence of any other explanation)...

I've actually driven and fired on this route and I didn't think it was possible to release the Glyndyfrdwy down starter before the token for the section to Carrog had been taken by the bobby. There's a funny arrangement on the western approach too, where the outer home is, I think, operated automatically when the arriving train reaches a certain point. Whatever the explanation here, it's an unusual sight!

• RMweb Gold

19;48 on the following shows the track plan such as it is.

There doesn't appear to be an FPL Bar on the points, so hopefully the track circuit extends to the clearance point.

Assuming the photographer is leaning out of the last droplight, rather than using a long lens from a trackside viewpoint, the tail of the train is definitely foul - the camera is to the right of the left rail of the other track.  Definite breach of the rules and probably counts as a near-miss. 

Or is it a combination of camera angle distortion, focal length compression and extent of cropping?

• RMweb Gold

There doesn't appear to be an FPL Bar on the points, so hopefully the track circuit extends to the clearance point.

Or is it a combination of camera angle distortion, focal length compression and extent of cropping?

Have a close look at the point mechanism SE, a very close look ;)  (assuming the ones at 19.48 are the ones in the original picture)

I suspect that the rear coach of the steam train was in clear - but not by very much and defnitely not to the extent that would be tolerated on signalling to normal contemporary standards, more like an 'if it fits we can do it can't we' scenario methinks.

• RMweb Gold

Have a close look at the point mechanism SE, a very close look ;)  (assuming the ones at 19.48 are the ones in the original picture)

I suspect that the rear coach of the steam train was in clear - but not by very much and defnitely not to the extent that would be tolerated on signalling to normal contemporary standards, more like an 'if it fits we can do it can't we' scenario methinks.

'Point' taken Mike. The get-out clauses in the standards would probably mean it could be classed as clear right from the 6 foot between outside of rails point. 

• RMweb Gold

There's no foreshortening or distortion in the photo although I was probably leaning out a fair distance as the train had stopped.  it was a long train (Thomas weekend, my fault for not checking the timetable!) and we were stationary with the rear of the train not yet in the loop, allowing the DMU from Llangollen to enter and clear the section for us to depart.  The starter was able to be cleared while the rear of the rain was on the closure rails of the turnout, my droplight was above the switch side of the crossing V.

Martin

Does show why they need to get on with that bit of double track though, even with the current level of freight...

Archived