Having been back in the model railway scene for about 3 years and modelling oo guage and having a keen interest in westerns 10 Dapol and 2 Heljan westerns so far I have started on a bit of kit building ,with an Oakley o guage pannier tank and a brass sand wagon from conneseur models I have been looking at a Jltrt western and finally took the plunge and it arrived a couple of days ago so have spent the last couple of days looking at the instructions .Have also been looking on rmweb about previous western builds but have not seen the completed projects so I was wondering if anyone could advise on what they think as to what the best wheels ,gearbox and motors would be the best choice hope to also post up some pictures as the build proceeds .Also have posted a video of the unboxing of the western and a look at all the parts on my you tube channel if any one is interested search kevin.tregunna thanks in anticipation cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have 3 built JLTRT Westerns and two unbuilt. I have used a single gearbox with mashima 1833. One has just been converted to radio control so once spring comes round i will be able to test out in the garden. The others are still dc but still have a gearbox with mashima 1833. These worked well but will also be converted to radio control as money/time permits.

I know of people who have used the ABC motor bogies fitting two per loco. IMO this is OTT but they perform very well.

My advice is an ABC gearbox and fit it to just the one bogie and see if you are happy with its performance.

Oh and dont forget to start a workbench showing the build. I would love to see this and i guess i am not alone.

Rob

Hi Rob thanks for the info , going to Reading on Saturday so hopefully will be able to see the products in the flesh I intend doing a bit of and end to end layout next year so probably I motor would be sufficient my only concern is the availability of the Abc products have spoken to him and there is quite a time to get hold of them will post up some photos soon and will start workbench update thanks very much for the info cheers Kevin

Try MSC also, he now does the MT Range, which are ex-Ron Chaplin helical gearsets, including one for diesels, at£104 plus £4 p&p, and at a reduced price got GOG and ALSRM members.

Tel: 020 8398 2415 for details/catalogue. Or: www.mscmodels.co.uk

Slaters also now list a diesel combo which is helical gears.  https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=GB14

Archived