Scratchbuilding my new station building

I'm just starting out with scratch building a station building, and parcels office on my layout Bodmin Junction, I've use Pastikard before and use slaters normally, and I have a good idea about construction of the building it self, but whats the best way to finish the building off ie the dressed stones you normally find above the windows, building corners, also any recommendations for window frames and door frames etc etc, I'm in the early stages of planning at the moment so any advice will be greatly appreciated Many Thanks Andy

• RMweb Gold

I'm just starting out with scratch building a station building, and parcels office on my layout Bodmin Junction, I've use Pastikard before and use slaters normally, and I have a good idea about construction of the building it self, but whats the best way to finish the building off ie the dressed stones you normally find above the windows, building corners, also any recommendations for window frames and door frames etc etc, I'm in the early stages of planning at the moment so any advice will be greatly appreciated Many Thanks Andy

What I've done in the past, if using Slaters stone or brick sheets, is to glue a thin overlay on top of the stone or brick, from 10 thou white plasticard, cut to size, for the lintels above windows and doors, and/or the large quoins (large masonry blocks on the corners of walls).

For window and door frames, I like to have a 'sandwich' type of wall construction, whether in card or plasticard, so that you can then glue strips of 10 or 15 thou plasticard behind the main wall, just protruding enough for a door or window frame, with the actual door or window then glued on top of that.

I use the same technique as the Captain for lintels and quoins but for door and window frames I cut the opening larger and then glue the frames in - I tend to use 1mm or 2mm plasticard for walls and use and thinner strip for the frames so that they sit in the window recess.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, just thought I'd post some pictures of the Parcel Office I have started to build, thanks for the advice you have offered, I have used Slaters Plastikard, with ratio Quoins/Cornerstones, not looked at windows/frames yet, open to suggestions

Many Thankspost-19403-0-33073500-1420282365_thumb.jpgpost-19403-0-96450700-1420282373_thumb.jpgpost-19403-0-76925400-1420282379_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived