CROSSRAIL UNCOVERS BRUNEL?S RAILWAY HERITAGE

• RMweb Gold

Very nice selection - and more informative in many respects than the pictiures which appeared in the media - including what appears to have been a lengthening of one of teh tunrtables.  Thanks for the link.

Very nice selection - and more informative in many respects than the pictiures which appeared in the media - including what appears to have been a lengthening of one of teh tunrtables.  Thanks for the link.

Yes the turntable was lengthened but I can't remember what the diameters are. The archaeologist leading the tour said that there were three turntables on the site originally but they had only found one so far. Part of the original broad gauge shed is believed to be under the mainline as what they have found isn't as wide as it should be. Whether or not the foundations have survived under the mainline is something they won't know until they go digging when they connect Crossrail to the rest of the network.

This one is the original shed: http://s558.photobucket.com/user/doctordalek2/media/Westbourne%20Park/IMG_6572_zps2e9df36b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27

• RMweb Gold

Yes the turntable was lengthened but I can't remember what the diameters are. The archaeologist leading the tour said that there were three turntables on the site originally but they had only found one so far. Part of the original broad gauge shed is believed to be under the mainline as what they have found isn't as wide as it should be. Whether or not the foundations have survived under the mainline is something they won't know until they go digging when they connect Crossrail to the rest of the network.

This one is the original shed: http://s558.photobucket.com/user/doctordalek2/media/Westbourne%20Park/IMG_6572_zps2e9df36b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27

The site is now behind hoardings with a lot of heavy machinery working in there.  The bit which you show in that linked photo corresponds with the position of the east end shed which would seem to have been the original but which was subsequently extended and, of course, converted to narrow gauge.  The position of the southernmost wall of that shed is very easy to place as its is clearly visible on various old photos and postcards as lying only 4 lines, possibly a fifth, from the north wall of the subway where the Hammersmith &City Line has passed under the GW lines.  Online comparison between 1896 and 1915 OS maps - albeit on fairly low magnification - indicates that following the closure of Westbourne Park shed and the development of New Yard there were at least 7 through lines to the north side of the subway wall.

Thus a relatively straighforward 'fix' is available from the position of those lines as they were c.1915.  However subsequent to then there have been several lots of layout changes which has caused the position of the individual lines today to be somewhat diffferent from what is was 100 years ago.  But I think, notwithstanding all those changes, that would probably have put the south wall somewhere about the position of the current Line 4 (effectively the Up Relief Line).  And I very much doubt there is likely to be much trace there as I don't think any of the 1990s deep balasting digs in that vicinity hit masonry whereas some of the 1967 deep ballasting digging produced large quantities of masonry although I'm not sure if it was from there or further east.  Now if anyone wants to archaeologically investigate that masonry  I happen to know where most of it is buried - but it's quite a long way down, in far from stable ground, as it was used to fill two serious slip sites.

Archived