RMweb

The H&BLR - SM32 Narrow Gauge in the Garden (Coarse Scale 'O' Gauge) & SM32 Related Workshop Thread

CME and Bottlewasher

the path in the middle of the garden on the plan in post #23, or is that just a plan and not built?

Hi SD,

I understand now - thanks for clarifying and thanks for the interest too.

I have no, specific, photos to hand of the entire section of path - we wanted to imply that it was the remains of a 'real' NG line, the sleepers are mock (concrete) sleepers cut down to NG size with two lengths of flat bar placed atop so as to represent rails (whilst reducing the trip hazard) these were then attacked with an angle grinder so as to aid rusting - but I have a photo of the viaduct and the 'rail path' can be glimpsed in front (it looks better when viewed along it's length, rather than from the side). The Castle in the photo is the ruins of Castle Amon Sul (medieval castle built after the fall of the tower there) atop of 'Weathertop'. Our friend Malcolm Morgan made a similar version of the rail-path, a variation, on a theme, a year or two later, using real wood for the sleepers and the wooden 'rails' were laid in the gaps between the sleepers as opposed to on top (as with our flat-bar 'rails'), it looked very effective indeed.

The viaduct is made from exterior quality foamcore board (Foamalux).

I shall try and make a mental note to take a photo of the path - in its entirety - when the next opportunity arises.

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2005-2014 etc 

post-11256-0-91145900-1418671366.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 11

Great work Martin. You have inspired me to continue with my own garden line which has had little work done on it for 18 months.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks - looking forward to seeing your NG progress too :)

Very very nice CME - I am tempted to go into the Garden (Well along the fence anyway) with an extension from my Garage layout when I have finished that.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

Thanks also.

I would love to see that :)

A word of wisdom to the wise, dont attach the layout to the fence, unless eg. you have a fence with concrete posts and some really heavy duty timbers etc. The reasons are;-1) If the fence moves in summer sun/heat or winter wind then so will your railway. 2) If the fence needs repairs (and they do more often than they used to because of poorer quality timber and timber treatments) then the railway will be affected every time maintenance is required. Try, instead, to make the railway on it's own self supporting structure - PM me if you need any further advice.

I hope that I am not teaching anyone to suck eggs :)  ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Season's greetings to one and all,

CME :)

Hi All.

Steam and sunshine.

Visiting LVLR Garrett (sister engine to our H&BLR loco - both built by Malcolm Morgan) with a freight on the Bree branch - clouded in steam and bathed in summer sun.

Thanks for looking.

Kindest,

CME

Photograph the copyright of the author/photographer and by kind permission R. J Cooke 2003-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-03572900-1418834267_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi CME

Many thanks for the advice, always helpful to listen to someone who's done it already.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

You are most welcome.

Thankfully out of any mistakes we have made - and by that, I mean, in hindsight, things we would have done differently - and those issues that were foisted upon us eg with the timber and track issues on Down Ampney, we never attached either layout to a fence (as we were given sage advice prior - which we heeded). There are two plans to extend the H&BLR (one aspect along a run of fencing) yet with the time that Down Ampney is taking and with dad's age, we are not sure if we will proceed with these extensions now. I also really need to try and take some video footage of the H&BLR for posterity etc. too.

Thanks for the reply.

Before I sign off here is the sister Garrett on a running-in turn at Westwick Lodge Halt.

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2005-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-11766100-1418837964_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi All,

Just time, before bed, to get another photo on.

This is the Shed at Westwick Lodge Works, alongside are the heavy oil facilities, these are both resin kits from British Outline Buildings (BOB), David and Valerie Pratt, dropped by, early on in the build process, so as to drop off several of their excellent building kits to us (whilst they were on the mainland and in our neck of the woods), and so we all had a slap-up lunch whilst they passed on hints and tips about garden railways and how to construct their range of kits. We didnt know at the time (as we only had 'council TV' and were new to SM32) that Valerie and David had just completed work on the TV series 'The Garden Railway' with Mark Found, a lovely couple, we had a really nice time with them. IIRC the H&BLR had been up about a year (the viaduct was added - cosmetically - a year or two after we started on the layout) David, whilst not being a huge fan of raised-baseboard layouts (we later found out from the DVD of the series) was very kind about our novice work and was impressed with my parents' gardening skills as the growth was already quite verdant and disguised the nature of the baseboards really well. We made some minor modifications to the buildings (with dad doing the main construction work) and I super-detailed and weathered, just a little, the heavy oil fuelling facilities. Just like Valerie (Valerie skilfully and artistically designed, modelled/created the moulds etc. for the kits and; with the RTP versions, painted them too), it was my step-mum who painted all of the buildings and she did a cracking job of them all too. Interestingly most of the BOB buildings, when viewed in the garden, can be used for either 16mm or 10mm scale/models, with minimal tweaking and fettling (very clever on the part of Valerie and David).

We felt and still do, that the BOB buildings added a nice balance of character and detail, were easy to build and super-detail and fitted in really well with our British Outline NG 'caricature' modelling.

You will note that the environs are very new and clean for a MPD, I had hoped to add some detritus, coal, ash and the like to the area, yet I still have not got 'aroundtuit', the aroundtuit is, of course, a vital component to this and many other model-making process. :mosking:

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards

CME

The photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2002-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-11583300-1419210644_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi All,

A funny little photo for you with Green Knight on shed at Westwick Lodge Works.

Those two seem to be intently peering at something, but I would be more concerned about the wayward dome atop the engine! :mosking:  :secret:  :onthequiet:  :)

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2008-2014 etc

post-11256-0-30016300-1419265107_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Stunning work, thanks for sharing.

Hi NT, :)

You are most welcome, thanks for the kind words....

The viaduct looks very impresive. Not sure if Foamboard would withstand our made dogs.

Don

Thanks Don.

It's pretty tough stuff and has put up with other wildlife over the years, but it depends how mad your dogs are :)

It was my idea to have the viaduct on the curve so as to 'support' the castle and it's environs, without obscuring it all, yet making a viaduct on that sharp a curve was a real challenge as the inner arches 'coned' towards the castle, but we got there in the end.

Kind regards to you both,

CME :)

• Like 1

I dont know what it is but ever since Hobbiton Fork Lift Trucks started to employ a lady mechanic/fitter the FLT seems to have suffered a lot of failures and/or Freddie has ended up breaking it a lot more than usual....mmmmm, makes one wonder if something else is afoot, doesnt it? :angel:  :mosking: Jess the cat loves the warm seat - or bonnet - of the FLT and even better loves the extra fuss and attention that any passing human can provide.

Happy New Year - in advance - to one and all!

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2006-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-38220800-1419783932.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year all.

Here is a photo taken at Alan Keef's a few years back, double-heading with vertical boilered locos, rough, dual/multi-gauge track, warm autumn sunshine = bliss. I hope that you find it as atmospheric as I did.

Hopefully I can Post some more photos of the H&BLR in the near future.

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the author/photographer 2005-2015

post-11256-0-82121800-1421506532_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Can I recommend construction of 'the prancing pony' inn, or at the least, bag end...given the railways name...

:D  :D  :D

We did consider a village - in half/partial relief - down the far-side of the layout, yet we didnt want to over clutter the line. The extension to the line - long muted - would have had such buildings along it with a Welshpool/Ffestiniog feel to it, with trains picking their way between the houses. Not sure, with Down Ampney's long saga, if the extension will ever get built now though.

There is, I understand, a 009 layout with such a theme, Hobbit-Holes and using Gamesworkshop type D&D figures - I have yet to see it though.

ATB

CME

Oddly, hobbiton end popped up in the latest layout topics this evening

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35993-hobbiton-end/page-16

An enjoyable read. I briefly dabbled in sm32 outdoors, built a green battery operated diesel outline loco which had a working fan and lights, excellent fun but I was lacking in my own garden space, having access only to my uncles 'aire valley railway

' im sure a few hobbit holes would go mostly un noticed, being basically earth mounds with doors in

Oddly, hobbiton end popped up in the latest layout topics this evening

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35993-hobbiton-end/page-16

An enjoyable read. I briefly dabbled in sm32 outdoors, built a green battery operated diesel outline loco which had a working fan and lights, excellent fun but I was lacking in my own garden space, having access only to my uncles 'aire valley railway

' im sure a few hobbit holes would go mostly un noticed, being basically earth mounds with doors in

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the Link, I shall take a look.

True a few Hobbit holes may not take up too much space, but as the layout is on raised boards we dont have a lot of space around the railway and thus only railway infrastructure is incorporated. :)

I was lucky enough to view the 0-9 (6mm figures) Hobbiton End over the weekend and what a wonderful little layout it is - superbly modelled. :imsohappy:  :yes:

Its a small world in every sense of the phrase!

Kindest,

CME